1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I had a friend in WV back in the early 80s who died after hitting a tree. He busted his leg and bled out before anyone found him. It's was sad Charlie had a wife and three kids. I often wondered what he went through before he died.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tend to ride off road solo and wander a bit- a dangerous combination. And I've been lucky in that area, but I am planning for next year's riding season more than I ever have in the past, and I'm confident I'm improving my odds of survival or even riding back from a mechanical failure. Doesn't mean I still can't ride off a cliff and die with no trace of my corpse- I'm simply trying to improve my odds a bit.

As much love I have for new technology, I typically disdain tech in the wild. However, I will probably get a FindMeSpot satellite tracking device next year. It's simple, allegedly robust, and if you can see the sky, you can probably send an SOS with your location; and allow someone to see your last recorded location if the device is busted or no signal is present.

And for the first time ever, I'll carry a first aid kit. Not a mosquito bite, rash, and headache kit; but a, 'if I don't stop this bleeding I'll die' kind of kit. I'm looking for those Israeli blood clotting pads, and the like.

I knew a guy who broke his back riding, and because his cell and first aid kit was left packed in his bike, it was 4 days before he was found. He's now paralyzed from the waist down, and his doctors had said if they had gotten to him within the first 24 hours and administered steroids, he may not be paralyzed.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should always have your phone on you, and not on the bike. A loud whistle too.
I tend to ride off road solo and wander a bit- a dangerous combination. And I've been lucky in that area, but I am planning for next year's riding season more than I ever have in the past, and I'm confident I'm improving my odds of survival or even riding back from a mechanical failure. Doesn't mean I still can't ride off a cliff and die with no trace of my corpse- I'm simply trying to improve my odds a bit.

As much love I have for new technology, I typically disdain tech in the wild. However, I will probably get a FindMeSpot satellite tracking device next year. It's simple, allegedly robust, and if you can see the sky, you can probably send an SOS with your location; and allow someone to see your last recorded location if the device is busted or no signal is present.

And for the first time ever, I'll carry a first aid kit. Not a mosquito bite, rash, and headache kit; but a, 'if I don't stop this bleeding I'll die' kind of kit. I'm looking for those Israeli blood clotting pads, and the like.

I knew a guy who broke his back riding, and because his cell and first aid kit was left packed in his bike, it was 4 days before he was found. He's now paralyzed from the waist down, and his doctors had said if they had gotten to him within the first 24 hours and administered steroids, he may not be paralyzed.

·
Registered
13,654 Posts

Xracer-Props, file a flight plan!

VL- Whatever your choice of Locator, I never leave home without it. Pinging from one location for several hours will surely perk my family search & rescue lists interest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pack some good rope. Pretty amazing what you can use it for to get out of trouble. I also second the loud whistle.
Yes, I prefer the Amsteel 3/16 due to light weight and 3000+ lb capacity.
As for a whistle, Amazon has some great "disposable" $5.00 straight knives which amazingly keep a good edge, with a hard plastic sheath with a whistle built in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, I prefer the Amsteel 3/16 due to light weight and 3000+ lb capacity.
As for a whistle, Amazon has some great "disposable" $5.00 straight knives which amazingly keep a good edge, with a hard plastic sheath with a whistle built in.

3/16" huh. I was thinking more along the lines of paracord. I think it would be almost as versitile, and packs much lighter. Hell, they're making bracelets and knife handles out of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
3/16" huh. I was thinking more along the lines of paracord. I think it would be almost as versitile, and packs much lighter. Hell, they're making bracelets and knife handles out of it.
Even the 1/8 Amsteel is good. Paracord is about 200 lbs strength, Amsteel 1/8 is 2500 lb
Amsteel floats, paracord doesn't, 50 ft of Amsteel can be a rappelling line, tow strap and more.
We have a 12000 lb winch with Amsteel instead of cable and i am amazed at how strong it is.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have traveled a fair bit solo in the deep woods on horseback, foot and motorcycle. Mostly without any sort of electronic device.
The trick (as previously mentioned) to being safe is filing a flight plan with checkpoints. I do this even on street rides. Electronics don't always work n sometimes your not able to operate them. So odd to think of cell phoning out eh? Back in Stone Age I worked as a Wilderness Ranger . Emergency summons was to light up a tree.
On the original post, I feel sorry for the dude killing his buddy. That would be tough to live with. Lesson being to leave room in front of you when following another. That road is littered with broken motorcycles as its popular. I found it way too crowded to have any true fun riding on. Even had photographers on the turns! Like Hollywierd Mollholland Dr. The other lesson might be to ride smart and lower the chances of mishap to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the into concerning Amsteel. That would be handy to have Around on the farm. I have ridden the "Dragon" two different times. First was on
ZX-10R. It's neat riding the "Dragon" just so you can say you've riden it. But I personally like the curves in Southwest Missouri and Northern Arkansas better. And Mark Twain National Forest is a blast for off-road. I've had couple of KLR 650, but I am planing on purchasing a TW200 after first of the year.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
As said above, The whistle is a great idea and when group riding be more cautious by good following distances and respectful lane position.
Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts