TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the continuation of my "Tried to buy an XT225 tonight" thread from last night.

This is what I ended up with today for a grand:

It's in really nice condition overall. The gauges are near perfect.. no rust, corrosion, etc. The electrical doesn't work; the wiring harness is hacked to hell. But the PO gave me a new harness for it, so I'll work on that over the next few days. Another PO painted it blue. It was red, like all the ones I've seen in photos. The gas tank has a dent in it but I think it could be knocked out by somebody who knows how to do such things.

It runs great though. It feels almost as strong as my DR650. The brakes are surprisingly good for drums. I found a specs page on the bike... it has 7.6" of suspension travel f/r, weighs 306 lbs dry, has a 2.3 gal gas tank, makes 35 hp. Stock gearing is 15/46. I'm guessing seat height is around 34".

The plan so far is to fix the electrical, replace the chain and sprockets, new oil and filter, new fork oil, new tires. Plus I'll clean up as much as I can and paint what makes sense to paint. From there I'll decide if I want to try to do something with the blue stuff. Oh, new battery too. This thing apparently uses a 6v battery.. a little one mounted under the right side plastic panel. Since it's kickstart only, it runs just fine without any of the electrical working.

It'd be a fun bike to keep but I have no practical use for it. It's too similar to my DR650 and not as small and nimble as an XT225. But it's pretty neat. It's too bad they only made them for three years... 81, 82, 83. I guess the DR650S (which came out in 1990) was its logical successor?

Book on it is from $1200-2900. If I fix it up real nice, maybe I can get somewhere closer to the mid-high value for it.

Rob

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Check the front triple clamps for cracks! A good friend of mine had the entire front end come off while riding a down hill whoop section. I think Suzuki at one time had a recall on them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just added a bunch more photos to that album after getting it in the garage and pulling the seat, side panels and tank. I wanted some up close pix for when I rip the wiring out to redo it. But I'm also looking at it going, gee, maybe I really should strip it all the way down, pull the motor, and paint the frame. Hmmm.

Rob

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Without cheating (looking it up) I think I remember that this bike is basically a sibling of the old Suzuki DR500 (basically predecessor to the DR 600/DR650). Anyway, looks like a fun bike! I'm a little jealous. Thanks for posting lol. By the way how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Without cheating (looking it up) I think I remember that this bike is basically a sibling of the old Suzuki DR500 (basically predecessor to the DR 600/DR650). Anyway, looks like a fun bike! I'm a little jealous. Thanks for posting lol. By the way how many miles are on it?
yeah - the SP500 was the more road going variant of the DR400/500.
were quite a few of them in NZ and Australia.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This one has 5100 miles on it.

Ahh an old DR650S.

Did you ever get your KLX running properly?

Rob

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
This one has 5100 miles on it.

Ahh an old DR650S.

Did you ever get your KLX running properly?

Rob
No on the KLX, but I have a couple more weeks before summer school starts; hoping to get it done by then. As for this DR, I was actually thinking about it, but I found out that the pre-96 DR's have a chain-driven counterbalancer that requires manual adjustment. It's probably never even been checked... I mean I could replace the chain right away and keep on top of the adjustments I guess. But I just don't need something that'll turn into another stupid back-yard project.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I googled the DR500. Seems they made it from 1981-1985. It looks like a total copy of the SP500 in every way... just with "DR" on the side of the seat instead of "SP."

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think the exhaust on the DR and SP was different. SP was the road legal version but later there were road legal and off road versions of the DR.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makes sense. I saw the photos of the stock exhaust on those bikes... dang it was huge. Or at least it stuck out the back a good 6-8". Mine has a little SuperTrapp. Not bad sounding, but it's a hack job at best. It fell off when I removed the bolt to take off the seat.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started tearing into the bike today. It actually has come apart so quickly that I'm going to take it all the way down to the frame. Motor's coming out, whole frame will get cleaned and painted. Powercoating will take too long and cost too much, sadly. The local powdercoater is always four weeks backlogged and will cost in the $250-350 range to do the whole frame, all the little parts, and the swingarm. This is based on inquiring about doing that on my TW.

One thing is for sure. I just don't see this bike having only 5000 miles on it. If it does by some slim chance actually have 5k, then it's had a rough 5k. Which btw, I've added more photos to my Imgur photo album: Suzuki SP500 - Album on Imgur Tell me what you think. Possible? Or not.

But specifically:

and

In any case... I'm not at all upset. Just intrigued. It's kinda like an archeological expedition of sorts.. trying to figure out the bike's history and what all previous owners have done to it. I know it runs and runs well, so all I have to worry about are cosmetics.

Tomorrow I'll get the wheels off, forks and triples off, and possibly the swingarm too. I already have the perfect silver paint for the swingarm. For the frame, I'd like to find a satin black color, rather than gloss or flat. But it'll be a while before paint time comes. Everything needs a good cleaning and sanding. I sure wish I had a sandblaster.

·
Registered
357 Posts
no way that bike's done 5k miles.
it's been cleaned up cosmetically, but under that veneer, years of use are showing.
look at the electrics. you dont rewire a 5k bike.
luckily - those motors are very strong.
it will be a cool bike when finished, the low/mid range is excellent in that motor.
keep the pics of the restoration coming!

ken

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True. I'm even wondering if they've been into the motor, given what looks kinda like black RTV. I may pull the sides off anyway to do a proper cleanup before I repaint those and the rest of the motor (properly). They way I see it, if I'm gonna go to this much trouble, I need to do it right.

Speaking of... I need a wiring diagram for this thing if anybody knows where I might find one. Either that or somebody with one of these bikes who can send me photos of the wiring up close and what goes to where. Some PO cut off all the connectors so I'm gonna have a fun time matching up the wires. Once I know what goes where, I may try to find some placement connectors rather than just butt-connectoring everything together. I'm also going to replace most of the bolts with stainless steel ones like I did on the TW.

Check out this photo:

That's the exhaust system. See the big barrel-looking thing? The outlet to the left goes to the headpipe (which is on the floor under it). The pipe coming out the other side goes to the muffler. I'm inclined to fabricate something new to eliminate that stupid barrel thing entirely. I can cut the end of that one pipe off to retain the threaded portion and weld it to a new mid-pipe, and then find some LH-mount muffler that's in nicer condition.

I'lll go Original Within Reason, but not a true restore. If I was doing that, I'd powdercoat it and deal with the slow timeframe and cost. But I don't see this bike being worth that kind of money, so that's not happening.

Rob

·
Registered
357 Posts
True. I'm even wondering if they've been into the motor, given what looks kinda like black RTV. I may pull the sides off anyway to do a proper cleanup before I repaint those and the rest of the motor (properly). They way I see it, if I'm gonna go to this much trouble, I need to do it right.

Speaking of... I need a wiring diagram for this thing if anybody knows where I might find one. Either that or somebody with one of these bikes who can send me photos of the wiring up close and what goes to where. Some PO cut off all the connectors so I'm gonna have a fun time matching up the wires. Once I know what goes where, I may try to find some placement connectors rather than just butt-connectoring everything together. I'm also going to replace most of the bolts with stainless steel ones like I did on the TW.

Check out this photo:

That's the exhaust system. See the big barrel-looking thing? The outlet to the left goes to the headpipe (which is on the floor under it). The pipe coming out the other side goes to the muffler. I'm inclined to fabricate something new to eliminate that stupid barrel thing entirely. I can cut the end of that one pipe off to retain the threaded portion and weld it to a new mid-pipe, and then find some LH-mount muffler that's in nicer condition.

I'lll go Original Within Reason, but not a true restore. If I was doing that, I'd powdercoat it and deal with the slow timeframe and cost. But I don't see this bike being worth that kind of money, so that's not happening.

Rob
those mid-pipe cans make a HUGE difference to noise. without it - you'll need a really big end can to get it down to a reasonable noise level.
a lot of mid '80s jap singles (like the SRX600 etc) had them.
and i doubt the SP500 motor would make a lot more usable power by eliminating it.
removing the mid pipe can on my KTM LC4 gave it a boost - but at revs the SP wouldnt even be comfortable at.

ken

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ken:

What about a Hayabusa pipe? In DR650 land, we replace the stock muffler with the GSXR1000 (and even more recently, the GSXR1300/Hayabusa) can. The bike sounds AWESOME with this setup, and it doesn't ever need repacking. I found a couple on eBay for about $100 shipped (a right and left side model). Since this bike uses a lefty, I could sell off the other one to a DR owner that needs one for $50.

In any case, I guess I'll plan to go ahead and sand/repaint the barrel. Thanks for the tip!

Rob

·
Registered
357 Posts
now you're talking.
the hayabusa pipe will have the volume you need, that's a great idea.
SV1000 or similar would poss be even better, what about 1000cc v-strom?
can you get nice take-offs from upgraders of those?
ken

1 - 20 of 32 Posts