TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello tw people,

First time poster! I look forward to digging around on this forum more and reading about the Yamaha's.

Thought I'd share a pic of what I have been riding for a while now. Anyone here like these VanVan's? A bit less suspension travel than the TW and a little more city focused, but it's great here in Oakland for construction areas, potholes, and rough backroads. I love how light these bikes are.

Ian

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello tw people,

First time poster! I look forward to digging around on this forum more and reading about the Yamaha's.

Thought I'd share a pic of what I have been riding for a while now. Anyone here like these VanVan's? A bit less suspension travel than the TW and a little more city focused, but it's great here in Oakland for construction areas, potholes, and rough backroads. I love how light these bikes are.

Ian

That looks like a very comfy seat! I have no experience with a Van Van but they look cool and have a lot of TW attributes.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum itg!

Nice bike! I think there may be a few VanVan owners on this forum but most of us NorCal nutjobs ride TW's. Maybe we can get together for a ride sometime and compare bikes.

Brian

·
Registered
274 Posts
I compared the Van and TW side by side at the dealer. I tell you....if the Van was just a little more dirt I would have gotten it. That seat is WAY better than the TW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum itg!

Nice bike! I think there may be a few VanVan owners on this forum but most of us NorCal nutjobs ride TW's. Maybe we can get together for a ride sometime and compare bikes.

Brian

Thanks man! I'd be down to ride any time. I've been wanting to do a loop down Calaveras, up mount Hamilton to the junction and up mines road. Have you ridden around Frank Raines OHV?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
EFI and a stock oil cooler are two nice bonuses and yeah the seat is about 10x more comfortable than the TW's plank. I certainly wouldn't turn down a free one. I did demo one and unsurprisingly, it drove pretty much exactly like the TW. The EFI gives it an edge over a stock (read, super lean) jetted TW carb, it runs a little nicer in "out of the box" form. Subjectively the Vanvan is overall a little more refined. Engine is a bit smoother, trans shifts a bit nicer, and it doesn't have quite as much of the "agricultural" feel of the TW. Of course the downside to EFI is if you change anything whatsoever, you also then need to buy a $300 power commander to make it run properly rather than a $4 assortment of jets from ebay.

Vanvan's are about as rare as hen's teeth though. I think I've ever seen ONE actually in the wild. The local dealer has a 2018 leftover that's been collecting dust in the showroom. They still want full MSRP for it although I suspect that'd change pretty quick if someone actually expressed interest.

TW has way more aftermarket/potential though. There's also 30+ years of parts floating around out there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I came close to procuring a VanVan. I even had a dealer about 3 hours away write up a deal on a left over brand new '18. It was (and still is) about $1,000 less than the '19 version. But, it was still gonna be too much out the door for me. So, I ventured over (actually back to) the TW side of the planet. I just picked up a very low mileage '07. It's been rode hard and put away wet. But, I watched a youtube video report on a VanVan and well, it might be the one next time.
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts