TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody know if the Van Van has the option to add a kick starter ?

I have a chance to buy one for a pretty fair deal but I won't actually see it til Sunday
looks like I can see some black plugs where the kicker shaft would go
dealers are offering 2017 models for less than $3500 so I'm wondering if they are not selling well for Suzy

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found some info on thumper talk saying it's basically a DR200 motor and early model kick starter parts from DR200's will work but you have to split the engine case to install the special output shaft which may or may not be the same as a DR just like the TW output shaft is different than the XT's

The good news is that there are lots of off road Adventure style upgrades available for the DR200's like Ricochet skid plates and FMF / DG exhaust and factory DR stainless header pipes

If I can find a dealer in a no tax state selling off old stock 17's for under $3500 I might try one just to get it out of my system

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Are you positive that the dr skid plate will work. The one guy I talked too said he could not find a skid plate for his van van.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
I suspect they've been marked down because Suzuki wouldn't comply to the latest trade deal and won't be stocked in North America unless something changes. So from here on anything Suzuki would have to be an imported.

I don't keep up with these worldly events, where did you find out they're not gonna import more? My thought would have been more on people ain't buying them in quantities enough to keep shipping but I've got no clue (and don't really want to know details) of trade war junk though I know its nothing new.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
"Suzuki owners may be concerned after the automaker confirmed it will stop selling new vehicles in Canada after the 2014 model year. ... Suzuki filed for bankruptcy in the U.S. in December and is no longer selling cars south of the border." Global News
https://globalnews.ca/news/434503/suzuki-will-stop-selling-vehicles-in-canada-but-says-drivers-shouldnt-worry/

Ok...so they're not selling enough quantity here. Considering they're the most expensive Japanese manufacturer it's no surprise. This is old news apparently.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I’d really like to hear some more owner opinions about Vans, so I say go for it. Not many on the used market so I would think you could sell it quickly if it wasn’t a keeper. Mods (or lack of) kept me away when I was looking. But that was two years ago, so I’m sure there’s more stuff available now. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you positive that the dr skid plate will work. The one guy I talked too said he could not find a skid plate for his van van.
therein lies the problem he was looking for a skid plate for a vanvan when the key is to look for the DR200

Look at the VanVan motor in my first post compared to the DR200 with the skid plate you can see it's not only the same engine even the frame / motor mount bracket is identical thus the slot in the front of the skid plate

I think Suzy screwed the pooch by making the vanvan a "street bobber" which we know is a very narrow market here on the TWForum if they had made a more "DR" like "TW" like bike I bet it would be catching on much better

Not only am I seeing private owners under $3500 for RV200's with a few hundred miles (last year they were $4500 plus) but now the dealers offering stale inventory at $3488 this does not bode well for the VanVan 200's in the future unless somebody (Suzuki ??? ) comes out with an ADV kit for them

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It's funny to me that a the VV is TW similar, and yet, I have such very little interest in it. I mean it looks as if I lived in Venice Beach, I would choose it over a Vespa to go run errands, but that's about it for me. A Hawaii bike maybe? PL is right, without a dual sport element, where does it fit? I'd ride a TU250 for that nostalgic look and feel first, and so many other bikes fit a low cost street only role, even the Grom and other 125s seem cooler. IDK, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's funny to me that a the VV is TW similar, and yet, I have such very little interest in it. I mean it looks as if I lived in Venice Beach, I would choose it over a Vespa to go run errands, but that's about it for me. A Hawaii bike maybe? PL is right, without a dual sport element, where does it fit? I'd ride a TU250 for that nostalgic look and feel first, and so many other bikes fit a low cost street only role, even the Grom and other 125s seem cooler. IDK, just my 2 cents.
It would be a fantastic Hawaii bike thats a great observation and the styling would fit right in to that beach culture. I wish Suzy would have came out with an ADV RV200 back in 1988 and grew right along with the beloved TW.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called some of the dealers and as usual the $3488 are just leader prices I actually found Oregon dealers (OR is a no sales tax state) claiming they collected sales tax for your home state and that they sent your paperwork to a local DMV in your home state rather than handing it to you which is all something I've never had them try before

2017 RV200's around $4200 OTD which is still cheaper than one year ago - btw thats w/o any title work which adds another $300 minimum to the costs

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
With all the people converting the TW to a street only mod I'm surprised the VV with all the TW wanted mods aren't really catching on to the street riders. It has the thick seat, round headlight, oil cooler. I think having an oem aftermarket off road kit would have been a cool option and would have expanded the buying group for the VV.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
While the TW is right in the middle of which direction you want to go, I like the VanVan and think it would be a nice kick-around the town bike. It's not a dual-sport and they didn't and haven'y marketed it that way so maybe more of an apples to orange comparison? Some conversion stuff to get it equal to a TW stock I guess.
I have yet to see someone riding one on the street but if given the choice of a Grom, Ruckus of VanVan I'd go with the VV. If their prices really were to drop like a stone they might become a best buy in a crowded low CC market.

·
Registered
928 Posts
While the VV wasn't aggressively marketed as an off-road bike, there are a few YouTube 'commercials' showing it being ridden along fire-roads. It doesn't seem as robust as the TW: it has less ground clearance, less travel, and a smaller gas tank.

The best thing it has going for it is the oil cooler and fuel injection. And it's that fuel injection that makes it mighty tempting as a friendly and reliable camping bike for folks who just want to run up to the camp store or explore easy country roads on their cross-country trip from sea level to Rocky Mountain tops.

It wouldn't take much work to give the TW a run for its money. Discounting the front tire, skid plate and hand guards that we all upgrade on the TW anyway, if you think about it the only thing that would really need to be replaced is the front forks with something more dirt-oriented to make the VanVan just as good as the TW for the type of riding most of us do.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Again as has been pointed out before on this forum, cars have been EFI for a long time and I have never had an issue with the EFI in any of my vehicles. To me it is a plus, especially if you are riding at different elevations. My 2 carbonated bikes were sputtering at the + 10 000 ft mark when in Zion. I notice a slit loss of power when riding at Moab. My old WR250r with over 20 000 km never suffered from these ailment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts