TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to go to work today (Supposed to thunderstorm, so I left the bikes at home today) and in my rear view mirror, I thought I saw a heavily modified TW, but when he was riding along side of me, I saw that it was a Suzuki. I didn't quite catch the model, but it had the fat tires like our bikes do and sounded like the engine was a similar single cylinder engine, but higher displacement as I think I saw the number 400 on the bike. The one weird thing about that dual-sport was that the peg placement was similar to a sport bike, but everything else was similar to the TW, with the exception of a larger fuel tank and a rear disk brake. I looked on the Suzuki site, and they apparently don't make whatever that thing was.

I seriously thought Yamaha was the only company to make a chubby tire dual-sport, but I now see that I am completely wrong. Man do I wish I had a camera with me.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Dan

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not so sure it was any of those. The bike seems a bit more modern then those, and the fuel tank kind of flared out a bit. Of course, it looks like this bike was quite modded out, so maybe this guy brought one to the states and modified the snot out of it.

Dan

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I did a little searching, and came up with what I think this guy was riding

Suzuki DRZ400

Though I don't remember the tires being that small. They seemed more like what we have on our bikes.

As you see though, the pegs are in more of a sport bike position, even though the rider sits strait up.

Looks like Suzuki still sells this model, but they have skinny tires on them like their other dual sports.

This guy seems like he takes the same route to work that I do (I've seen him a few times from afar, and always though he had a heavily modified TW), so I'm going to start carrying a camera in my car and see if I can snap a shot of his bike. His mods look really good on it.

Dan

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I believe that is the SM (super moto) version of the DRZ 400. It comes with street tires, stiffer suspension, and a lower seat height.

jb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very true, I have the DRZ 400S model (dirt) that one is the Super motto (SM). the SM model comes with 17 inch wheels and tires and the S model comes with the 18/21 wheels tires.. I have seen some guys get the SM model and put fat knobbies on them too.. Great bike and I love mine very much, sad to say but the Fiancee rides the TW

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I almost bought one of those but was afraid I'd lose my permit real quick. The Police around here don't like old guys pulling wheel stands and drifting around corners on their way to work.Also my wife did not like the idea of me riding like I was 20 years old again.DAMM!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts