TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adam-in-Nevada and I are planning to return to the Sweetwaters last weekend of June once again primitive camping around the 10,000 ft level. Snow and high water runoff permitting we will try to make it over these high passes on Wheeler Peak to some old mining camps on the drier eastern flanks. Fast flowing water first stopped me on a solo trip then later lightning and snow had a Group Ride turn around somewhere around 11,000+ ft. As you can see we got fairly close to the highest parts, only a few hundred ft more.

If too snowy there is extensive intermediate riding a thousand feet lower. Nice to be high up in one mountain range and look across to another snowy range. Hopefully sweet water and sweet wildflowers again.

So if there is another hardy soul or two up for an adventure we could try to meet up. Conditions are a bit unknown and unpredictable. If high country still snowed in then likely camp around 7000 ft and tour various mining camps and ghost towns like Mystic, ElDorado, Bufort. etc.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Going to be sleeping in a tent Bodi?:D tent bear.jpg

Sweetwaters may be too tame for Bodi's 70 tooth rear sprocket TW. Only challenges can be high elevations, high water and high snow. We will be there several weeks earlier in the season than last year but it has been a light snow year.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Planned trip revolves around Adam's schedule. However I could likely be tricked into a Return to the Return of the Return to the Sweetwaters Ride since region still has so much un-ridden treasures. I never sampled those single tracks that Donzo found and still want to complete a 70 something mile loop skirting pass between 13,000 ft Mt.Wheeler and Mt.Paterson and a return via twenty miles of so of Desert Creek canyon that may not be melted and dry enough until late in the season. Desert Creek fordings were impassable at around two feet deep this time last year.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Whoa - the Like button works!

Keeping my eye on posts like these - I haven't been on a ride with any of you all since last October, and dang my itch is screamin' pretty bad-like!

Not sure about this one as of yet - I may have to just be happy with pictures from it. Not sure I'd really be able to keep up with Fred and Adam even with my TW. :)

I can't take any time off until October, but I'm definitely looking for a camp/ride that's close enough for me to ride to on a Friday after work...

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be on only TW there. Adam has his new KLX250 and Dale has a new WR250 he wants to get frisky on. Hope he can make it as it is a long ride from Bay Area over Sonora Pass.

Bananachunks: Have you considered organizing a Peninsula, Mt.Tamalpius, Santa Cruz Mountains, Mount Hamilton or Big Sur day ride with some of the fine Nor-Cal folks?
My first thought was to meet up at Alice's Restaurant on Skyline and then ride the secondary narrow twisty road networks between coast and Skyline ignoring the high
speed, high enforcement Donorcycle raceway of Skyline itself. Always something interesting parked at Alice's . Alice1.jpg

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Alice's is always a fun stop. Alpine Inn is a more pleasant stop/eating experience. Love the twisties back in those areas. Haven't wanted to organize a ride because a) not much of an organizer b) the NorCalers are mostly TWs vs the area's pavement, and c) I need camping and dirt! Definitely want to see vids of the 3 of you guys getting your frisky on!

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Friday June 29th through Sunday July 1st. PM or call for exact details. Considering driving down under the full moon Thursday night just because it is such a special experience.

Won't be as many as last year

Snow, water and access conditions remain unknown but there are lots of options. Can text and cell from the high places now. Should see many lillies , lupine and other flowers.

·
Registered
658 Posts
On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this ride. 1 being "could be dusty" to 10 being "notify next of kin". Dans complaining, since his shoulder surgery, that he can no longer carry our bikes up hill over the rough spots. Is this camping area assiable by camper/trailer? Inquiring minds want to know. Could we park at a lowere elevation and meet up with the gang. Inquiring minds sometimes get lost. Dirts a Flyen SanDue:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So hard to predict difficulty. But it could be an excellent ride for you two with several options depending on how comfortable you are with the roads and creek crossings.
If things are melted out and dry we will camp up high on the West side and end up riding some things perhaps a little too challenging. However from the west side there is still easy riding you would like as in the second video you two could do on your own. There was a little grumbling about road access from those with campers and trailers last year but no damage was incurred. Longer access road (~5 miles) into the Sweetwaters but smoother than camp access on our Carson Pass ride together last year. Around 1:20 in the second video "Riding the Sweetwaters" is a lower camp at around 8,000 ft. you should be able to easily access. No other easily accessed close in camps close by. Beautiful camping in the trees where the group stayed last year, we even had a snowshoe hare hop around camp.

Otherwise if winter still has it's grip up high we would camp and ride on the much lower, drier, hotter east side replicating what you two (SanDue) did last year camping near or on Walker River and riding mining camps between Bufort and Bodi. That should be easy to intermediate riding too..
You would enjoy the many easy miles of roads right from camp up on west side. Catch the sunset over the Sierras to the west?.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re-run time: Quick video of more easier riding on west side, 7,000 to 10,000ft elevations as I chase Tweaker on a Sunday morning final ride before we all loaded up and left. We were scooting fast but it can be done liesurely.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One more teaser video for those enduring 100 degree heat wave:
Other than last 30 seconds this is the easy access road for haul vehicles heading to primitive camping and more adventurous riding locations.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
LOL, asking Fred to rate a ride, really?? :D

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this ride. 1 being "could be dusty" to 10 being "notify next of kin"....

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bananachunks, you were there. Wouldn't you say it ranged from a 2 to a 7?
Maybe an 8 from the perspective of DRTLVR when she was upside down underneath her bike in Desert Creek. Fresh meltwater tends to be a bit cold.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously if one avoids the planned attempt to skirt Paterson and Wheeler peaks and stays lower there is still a weekend's worth of easy/intremediate riding. Eastern destinations can still be reached via circling mtn clockwise on dirt, or counterclockwise on highway. We may still all have to do the clockwise route.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I remember being there, and how long it took to get there (after work) and then home. My first time off-road with the CBX, so hard to say - bunch of stuff I wouldn't ride on but would definitely ride on now, so can't really rate the difficulty. It was the first time I thought that I ~need~ lights (that last 2 miles coming into camp in the dark on Friday kind of sucked as far as lack of illumination). When I saw that SanDue was thinking about going on the one next week, I started leaning more towards going myself. Until I saw in notes from last August that it took me 6 hours to get there after work - would be the same this go, too.

Camera dump from last August Sweetwater/Lobedell Lake
https://goo.gl/photos/Dpk4z1x43MgcCCpg8

1 - 20 of 63 Posts