TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post ‘em here!
Here are some of the further adventures of the intrepid band of merry misfits high in the Sweetwater Mountains.

Here is a brief video of some of us riding through 9,000 ft Desert Creek and up to the 11,300 ft. turn down to a stone miner’s cabin. Somewhat steep, loose, off camber and with technical switchbacks the ride seemed harder due to the rarefied elevation. Well worth it though even if approaching storm did chase us away with the ping-ping-ping of hail on our helmets and the boom of none-to-distant thunder. I wanted to explore more but knew the time window to descend was quickly closing. Any further delay would have had us sitting out the storm in the cabin. This time the rain lasted several hours until sunset.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Very cool! Nice work all.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

MEET THE TWEAKER.
A few of us had the chance to meet Tweaker and his wife Dirtluvr who came all the way from San Diego. Here are a few clips of me chasing him on some of the medium smooth roads. Saturday and Sunday rains made for great soil conditions.
They are another cute couple who enjoy exploring together on their TWs. Really nice folks who are extremely fun to visit with off the bikes.

Must admit after so many days rubber necking the interesting scenery my helmeted neck was really getting sore.
Donzo Tweaker and I had just finished racing up the old Carson Fremont route to Walker. Think of a fifth gear forty foot graded road through smooth weathered granite, or sand, or gravel as road climbs and twists. So after that Monday morning ride Tweaker and I weren’t ready to hang it up and romped up to the antennae farm’s peak again while Donzo returned to camp.
Thus this was our last ride in the Sweetwaters, but sure was a good one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Fred for organizing the group camp out and ride in the mountains near Bridgeport. I really enjoyed getting to know the guys around a blazing lantern campfire and a delicious dinner(thanks Dwight) under a almost rainproof canopy. I also got to experience a "Fred Easy Ride" which included rock climbing and swimming in a brisk mountain stream. My favorite ride was Sunday though where I got to lead the group back to camp. What a confidence booster. I can't wait till the next adventure.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to do a “Meet The Tweakers” plural video with some clips featuring Dirtluvr leading us all back to camp Sunday at a brisk pace but she was always too far ahead!

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So who wants to return for more? New Member Donzo has the right idea about proposing another group ride, possibly an annual gathering since there is so much mixed riding regionally available. Gotta admit the scenery can be breathtaking. sweetwatermtns.JPG
If bananachunks and Boarder255 could ride their motorcycles all the way from the Bay Area then certainly other NorCal Nutjobs could be lured over the Sierras. Dirluvr, Tweaker and Admiral all drove about 500 miles so no excuses will be entertained about distances involved.;)

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here Friday’s early arrivals went for a quick tune-up ride to get our feet wet. Seemed to work.:p
The cattle sure have nice views out there and their healthy diet had them dropping super sized plateau pizzas throughout my intended group camp site terribly befouling things. Fortunately I found an adjacent more pristine wooded area to move to. I think we ended up with a nice camp it didn’t have the stellar views. “No Campfires” regulations kept us from having a relaxing fire even though we brought wood to an area choked with many a cord of downed dry branch wood.
Fortunately Rider21 basically catered us with all sorts of treats, a shower, emergency lodging, roadside bike repair and many entertaining stories. Another great forum member for sure!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yep! All that see the pics and videos will regret not going.

The videos sure answered my question about how well the TW's ran at altitude. It didn't seem to bother them at all.
I have stock jetting in my 2000 TW and at about 9000 ft. it started blubbering form about 3/4 to full throttle. That's with 4 7/16 holes drilled into the air box. I will definitely be rejecting the next time I ride that kind of altitude. It was quite annoying on the steeper inclines.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Here's a pic of the Tweakers tent as it was getting surrounded by "Lake Inferior."...they managed to stay dry tho!
There have been questions about the Dub at elevation. I could definitely tell there was some power loss and needed to keep rpms higher . I was considering a 47 rear sprocket. After this trip if I change sprockets it will be to a 52 rear. Some of the other riders have that set up and I was struggling to keep up on steep climbs. For the dirt esp high elevation and steep stuff bigger sprockets are the way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mad Jack was one of many arbor glyphs in the big aspen groves.

Monday’s Easy Ride Part I had us bomb down the Burcham Flat Road to the outskirts of town of Walker where we saw the first residence since the stone cabin. Unusual stuff out here! This sure was another fun relaxing ride.

Bugs were not too bad this time, however some sort of vampire bug nailed me through a tear in my pants. Hopefully next full moon I shall not morph into a WareFly.

Fortune smiled upon us as the weekend rains washed away obscuring smoke from the Mariposa fires outside Yosemite leaving some inspirational views.

Sunday Easy Ride Part II had us drop off the mountain and take a leisurely cruise up the Little Walker River to the trailheads into the Hoover Wilderness. After a brief lunch break above Poison Creek we headed back pausing here on a bridge over the Little Walker at entrance to Obsidian Campground. Later dirtluvr lead us back to camp at a brisk pace. Give that lady a smooth open road and she can really make her TW fly!

Sunday Easy Ride Part I had all ten of us ascend to an antennae farm around 9,900 up a lesser peak where Betty Boop came sliding into Home Plate. Bananachunk’ and his street tired Honda did amazingly well considering the fresh mud and steep slopes. Way to go George!..

Here we are waving our cameras around at the stone cabin. Depleted oxygen had me a little slow between the ears and I apparently forgot how to operate camera so no fill in flash to illuminate evan, Don, or our trusty steeds.

We barely made check-in time at the Montigue Luxury Resort. I wanted to call room service and order a pizza. I had just missed a lightning strike on the far ridge line so knew our time to safely visit was limited. Hanging around a big cluster of metal TW machinery atop the highest point around during an electrical storm is not the best idea.

After mostly outrunning the storm front we pause at 10,000 ft to congratulate ourselves for another sucessfull ride with lots of challenges but no spills, broken machinery or broken bodies.

The background high country is where we had just come from. Our route is barely visible switchbacking up slope in the left mid-distance.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like Donzo captured another 40 feet of Betty Boop's long slide as I came roaring into the antennae farm.
Guess these TWs can still make enough oomph at elevation for a little hooliganism. I was a bit surprised it took more than 60 feet for the worn Duro to haul Betty to an artistically drifting halt at end of a long hill climb. Made me look either heroic or stupid. 20170806_101325_1502293620375.jpg

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I had dropped one jet size from stock (114) down to 110 (local motorcycle shop said there is no 112 available). I was running 116 around woodland with one shim under needle. Bike ran well (after we pulled sliver of sealer from main jet) but still noticed a little blubberling at times. What really annoyed me was lack of 2nd gear to go up grades. I think I have a 14/55 set up now and am going one size up on rear sprocket. It was perfect when I was using the stock rear tire but now I'm running duro (which I love!) so need to gear down more. I'm going back to stock 114 main and get one of those sliding door things to help lean out in elevation/altitude....I could do the cheapie (tw riders generally are cheapskates...lol) drill holes thing but like to go thru deep water at times and be so much easier to just shut door. * and this is a great place to ride and looking forward to coming back!

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just a couple of video clips from Sunday’s beginning where all ten of us rode to the “Electronics Site”.
Some mud and steeper slopes kept some of this from being too easy. Rubbery moist soils made for a perfect dust free riding surface most of the time. Good place to get a stiff neck from looking at all the mountains surrounding us.
Part of the charm of this place is being on the flanks of one flavor of mountain and looking across the distance to an entirely different range with a craggy upthrust skyline.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts