TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
My Pucker Factor Moment. I could've been kilt or even worse!

These pictures are when we were descending from Mars but at this point near the green bush is where my pucker moment happened while ascending up Mars.

You can't tell very well from the picture but there is a little dip right in front of the bush. When I was passing on my way up my tire spun and I slide sideways. With the front brake on (think kung foo grip here) I started sliding backards. Thankfully, my rear tire slide and stopped at the piece of wood/branch you see keeping from tumbling down the slope. I wasn't skart until I looked down at my tire resting against the wood.

Here's the spot backed out a little ways. coming down I just blipped the throttle a tad and passed through the dip uneventful (though I was on high alert)!

Unrelated to the above near death experience, here is a screen shot of Lobdell Lake on one of our many passby's

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm up for making this an annual event. We could camp down lower so some people could bring trailers, motorhomes or whatever. There was an open grassy spot just off Burcham Flat Rd. It would just be an easy 4 mile jaunt on a wide and smooth dirt road from Hwy 395 to camp.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Won't be any of these snowshoe rabbits if we camp down lower.:rolleyes:
This little fellow hopped around camp for a few minutes Sunday night.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
When Admiral speaks of a Pucker Factor he didn’t elaborate that the road is literally falling off the mtn at that point. Truly spooky and more that a bit sketchy. Other people placed the log to catch vehicles as they churn and slide off the washed out failed side slope that was the downhill wheel track. To be any where near that log in a 4x4 means you are probably also getting near your maker. An equally intimidating switchback awaits the rider next. Not a easy section of road, much steeper and with a stronger side slope than the camera implies. 2.jpg

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
One of several easier rides is along the Burcham Flat Road which runs north-south between the Walker River canyon and the Sweetwater mountain chain. Several of us rode it up to the town or Walker for a relaxing Monday morning romp through the gears.
It can be part of bigger loops circling or penetrating the Sweetwaters or following the popular Desert Creek trail system.

EDIT: Almost sounds like my clutch is slipping around the 40 second mark

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Looks like a great area for a ride and a fine time had by all!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Blush. Ha Fred thanks for setting up this ride. I have all of these imagines burned into my memory. I really enjoyed riding with you and also everyone else. What a great group of people. A lot of adventure was had by everyone in an absolutely spectacular area. I hope you get pain free soon for more adventures down the rode. There were many highlights on this trip and few lowlights. It was a bummer not being able to have a fire due to FS restrictions but that didn't dampen anyone's enthusiasm and hanging out under the canopy during the heavy afternoon and evening thunderstorm was still a highlight. Dwights hotdogs were brilliant along with his wife's potato salad. Dirtluvr and I had an awesome time, we didn't want to drag down some of the rides to more difficult places and she got a taste of Fred's easy rides. Haha! We were both a little rusty I think the altitude and her strength were giving her a lot of trouble at first. She got her confidence back on those easy rides on the last day. I can see why people want to come back there. Next I think the Alabama Hills would make for another epic and memorable TW riders adventure. It's a great location in itself and a jumping off spot to some cool rides nearby.

MEET THE TWEAKER.
A few of us had the chance to meet Tweaker and his wife Dirtluvr who came all the way from San Diego. Here are a few clips of me chasing him on some of the medium smooth roads. Saturday and Sunday rains made for great soil conditions.
They are another cute couple who enjoy exploring together on their TWs. Really nice folks who are extremely fun to visit with off the bikes.

Must admit after so many days rubber necking the interesting scenery my helmeted neck was really getting sore.
Donzo Tweaker and I had just finished racing up the old Carson Fremont route to Walker. Think of a fifth gear forty foot graded road through smooth weathered granite, or sand, or gravel as road climbs and twists. So after that Monday morning ride Tweaker and I weren’t ready to hang it up and romped up to the antennae farm’s peak again while Donzo returned to camp.
Thus this was our last ride in the Sweetwaters, but sure was a good one.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I did change the jetting Friday after our first rides. I know the DG pipes affect the leaness of the carbs. I went down one jet size to 128 from 130 removed all the washers on the needle and changed the pilot jet back to the stock 31 from 34. Also I removed the tape on the air box holes from the PO. We still had some cutting out under hard throttle but it was better. I did have the stock 126 jets I could have tried but didn't want to mess with the carbs more.
For this riding 14-55 gearing was awesome with the stock rear tire it helps keep the bike in the power band. Great first gear climbing on the steep stuff going up and nice compression braking going down.

Here is a pic form Saturday?

IMG_0106.JPG

Dirtluvr and group.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Shucks elime, we gotta get you to come ride with us next time...and don’t forget those jets!:D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Tweaker said:
For this riding 14-55 gearing was awesome with the stock rear tire it helps keep the bike in the power band. Great first gear climbing on the steep stuff going up and nice compression braking going down.

I can attest to his 14/55 gearing....I was having a heck of a struggle keeping up on the spirited Burcham road ride up hills....I had to catch up on flats and down hill with my stock gearing!

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Someone tell Admiral to post his “Fred’s Sweetwater Waterboarding Water Wride” video here, it is hilarious. He must be working on something special as usual.

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Ok Yeah, I probably should eh? As I was starting to review my video I noticed the amount of water we rode through and chuckled to myself. Well, this is what I did for my first Sweetwater video. :p

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
​“Come on, just one more ride before we all have to go home"

That Admiral rode more than any of us. After Sunday's Easy Ride Parts One and Two most folks were either lazy or having to pack up to go home.
Me? I laid down.
Meanwhile Admiral went for his third ride.
When Kris returned I figured he sure had the right idea so I asked if I could tag along for his forth ride of the day. This is how we finished off the trip’s riding in a relaxing fashion One can just wander for miles on simple meandering roads with 360 degree views. These scenes are from west of camp and has that big sky feel for sunrises, sunsets, star gazing,etc.
Don’t think any of us were too anxious to leave.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I watched a 1947 movie starring Robert Mitchum, "Out of the Past", while you guys were off having fun. To my surprise a small part of it was filmed in Bridgeport. Here is a road sign I managed to capture. A few scenes of the town in the beginning.

Bridgeport.jpg

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ha great stuff.Dirtluvr now says she is not afraid of water crossings after all the creeks we crossed and falling into one and getting one leg pinned under the bike in the middle of it. Hey this was called the sweet water ride after all.

Ok Yeah, I probably should eh? As I was starting to review my video I noticed the amount of water we rode through and chuckled to myself. Well, this is what I did for my first Sweetwater video. :p

21 - 40 of 71 Posts