I and a few others plan to return.

Reactions: SanDue

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
That could be arranged.
I and a few others plan to return.
For some reason this place has a magical draw for me, so different from the typical Sierra craggy skyline.

. .

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Since water loving mhomadness seems to likes these pictures so much we gotta get him splashing here next time. Let’s learn on Mike to arrange some time off and then we can build a trip around his schedule. Three day weekends work but four days is better.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I can think of a few NorCal Nutjobs who might appreciate splashing around in the cool clear and sometimes deep sweet waters here.
Oh yeah! I resemble that remark! :D

Thank you everyone for the wonderful pics, video's, & ride reports for the sweet "Sweet Waters Ride". :icon_thumleft:

The next Fred ride will be something I look forward to making. As an added incentive to lure more Nut Jobs to take a Fred challenge, I will create a ride badge for it! :cool: m.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Most excellent! Mini-Winnie would have to stay further down the mountain though, motor homes couldn’t make it to the 9,000 ft camp. Bring on the Nut Jobs! Betty and I’ll be waiting. profilepic4191_5.gif.jpeg

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Fred takes us on a little adventure from our camp near Lobdell Lake up to the Montague Mine near Mt. Patterson and back. We intended to ride over the mountain and explore the other side but mother nature with her wicked thunderstorm & lightning children made us turn back. It was still awesome! :)

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Some of my Sweetwater Weekend TWriding Pictures from the first two days.

Rider21 working on his camp setup. He's got a long ways to go before he gets done setting up his camp.

Donzo paddling across the pond. In the Sweetwater Mtns., they number their water crossings:D

Rider21's turn

Posturing before the ride. Rider21 and Bananachunks vs. Evan and Donzo.

At least we are pointed in the right direction before we started riding. L-R: Adam-in-Nevada, Boarder225 (XT250), Fred, Dirtluver (Purple way back there), Donzo, Rider21

We're trying to figure out how we'll get the wood back to camp if we cut this tree down. Thank goodness there was a campfire restriction so we left the tree alone and continued riding. L-R, Fred, Bananachunks, Adam-in-NV, Boarder225, Tweaker, Dirtluvr.

Later that day before we started the "Major" part of the climb up to Mars. Adam, Boarder225, Donzo, & Fred.

Evanmobile and Admiral's ship just behind the guys up front in the picture above. Our TW's are no better thans theirs or vice versa so I have no idea why we parked so far back.

NASA, this is the lunar TW's. We have landed on Mars

Fred kept his space suit on. The rest of us said the air ain't as thin up on Mars as we were led to believe from our old elementary school teachers

Disappeared? We got "beamed up" by the Enterprise for a while. By the way, the compass on the front of Donzo's TW cowling did not help in navigation what-so-ever!

Gray clouds and lightning had our full attention while visiting the Montague Mine

I took a picture so me and Fred could compare camera's.

Watch your step up in these parts

Um, I guess air conditioning of sorts inside the miners shack?

Pretty views out the window...and wall.

To be corntinued

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
“Pling,pling,pling” goes the hail as it bounces off Admiral’s helmet. :p
A memorable ride for sure.

If Admiral keeps posting such good videos, photos and captions I bet a bunch will want to come ride. Next year we’ll be like Custer at the Little Big Horn going “ Gee, where did all these Indians come from?"

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Well, where do we go next?
Last year I tried to drum up enthusiasm for a return trip to the Sierra Buttes/ Gold Lake District but had no takers. Guess a 70 mile mixed ride of visiting two fire lookout towers, riding up mountain peaks,bombing down ridgelines, and visiting at least ten sub-alpine lakes plus very smooth and very rough riding wasn’t good enough. You guys and gals are a tough crowd. Maybe the~300 stairs to the lookout look a little intimidating but the view is worth it. stairs.jpg Lookout.jpg

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
The more pictures and videos I watch of this trip the more the more I realize what a really outstanding trip it was.

But wait, there's more. For the low, low price of your time, you can finish watching and looking at the place Fred took us to ride.:p

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Fred's Sweetwater Last Day Ride

Last day on the mountain. The whole group goes for a short ride up to a nearby alien UFO landing and communication center. After everyone is accounted for we head back down the hill. Early departee's head back to camp while the rest of us continue riding around Little Red Riding Hoods Woods. In the afternoon I take off solo and do some more exploring around the mountain dodging most of the thunderstorms. Later, with the sun shining, I meet up with Fred to finish off the day with a late afternoon sortie. Wow, what a place to ride and we only scratched the surface.

...and on the last day...Fred said to the group, "let's ride"!

We ride to this one place (not in the woods) and take some group souvenir pictures. You know, to prove we were there...and stayed 'till the last day.

Is looking at the butt of a TW sexy. Maybe not, but the color turned out good on the camera.

The views up here take your breath away...literally

After the early departee's headed back to camp, the rest of us went across the highway and rode up some other road. It was pretty too. Not wanting to get back to camp too early because the early departees might see us, we stopped and took a break.

Didn't work, some were still loading at camp when we got back. But the break spot was pretty.

Water

Us on a bridge looking at the water (or suppose to be).

After we got back to camp from the morning ride, I didn't want to quit so I went out solo for a few hours.

Found this ranch shack

Comfy???? Not really. Icky???? Yes. But it's got a mirror and microwave oven so not all is lost

Little brown house in the woods. I have no idea what it's used for being so small and all :rolleyes:

Needs a little upkeep

Lobdell Lake. Empty with the threatening clouds in the area

I wish I was retired and didn't have to go home

The road less traveled

Some weather up by Mt. Patterson

I continued sneaking around the bush. That's what it felt like. There was some old old mining activity in the area but it only looks like bushes on camera

Then me and Fred teamed up for some late day riding

I don't know if you're religious or not, but for me, I didn't feel alone.

Thank you, Fred, for showing us a great time! I'll never forget it...hopefully! fpalm.gif :p

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
The Rubicon is getting a little too well known, too overcrowded, too worn in many places for me...talk to me after my surgery, then maybe give it a shot, maybe not;)
It is iconic but road and riders take a beating over the years.
For example this is what one portion of the trail known as "the Little Sluice Box” appeared in the 1920’s, a scenic drive to the spring resort: Rubicon-1005-f-1024x682.jpg
Later some extreme Off Road enthusiasts imported some “obstacles”: sluice by jeep.jpg

A while back the county in a very controversial move “restored” this section back to 1930’s standards. sluice restored.jpg
Don’t worry, still plenty of killer sections remain.

Once the tour companies with guided ATV tours dominate the trailheads and exclusive “Parade Permits” issued by the county with Sherriffs close it off while chasing out little guys out I figure its time for me to move on and find something less loved-to-death like the Sweetwaters. walk.gif

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Maybe a return trip to the Sonora Pass region might be in order, much closer drive for those in central California. Lots of beautiful country to wave the cameras at. Evan led one of my group rides here with just a map I handed him as I went to track down some missing sheep

Notice how the tree branches tend to be only on the east side of the trees? Icy winter blasts shave off any new growth facing the prevailing winds.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
SIDE NOTE: Both Bananachunks and Boarder255 rode their bikes loaded down with camping gear, a Honda CB500X and an XT225 respectively, from the Bay Area over Sonora Pass to join the group ride. I thought that was rather impressive of them, yet their reports were typically modest. Here is a hint of what they saw, only from the viewpoint of a lowly TW200 traveling over a twisty alpine pass:
Hope they stopped to enjoy the views

To meet up with us they had to continue on up into the mountains just visible on left most horizon at minute 1:01 mark of the second video. They made a nice long ride just to get to the main ride. Ironic then to spent much of the weekend looking backwards admiring the view towards Sonora Pass where they had come from.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Who’s got more picture of the Sweetwater Group Ride?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts