TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I went to install my swing arm. Took the time to clean and grease the bushings and seals all nice. But I'm confused how to fit the inner seals. They don't fit into the swing arm for me. Or do they? And there is no room between the swing arm and engine cases.
They came from somewhere

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
You could just get fancy and use sealed ball bearings. Recess them inside the swing arm a mm or so to facilitate installation, then use grease pressure through zerk fittings to press bearing back out if you like. Simple common 6901 series can be very affordable .6901-2RS-C3 - Bearing
Under $15 should do it, no need for a $40 AllBalls kit, nor dropping ~$90 on ceramic over-kill.
Don’t forget the grease thought as the shaft needs to stay corrosion free.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
You could just get fancy and use sealed ball bearings. Recess them inside the swing arm a mm or so to facilitate installation, then use grease pressure through zerk fittings to press bearing back out if you like. Simple common 6901 series can be very affordable .6901-2RS-C3 - Bearing
Under $15 should do it, no need for a $40 AllBalls kit, nor dropping ~$90 on ceramic over-kill.
Don’t forget the grease thought as the shaft needs to stay corrosion free.
Fred, have you or anybody else actually done this mod?

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
If I recall correctly Twilight told me he used similar bearings from AllBalls when he did his 2.5” swing arm extension. I never rode his bike afterwards though. He did not mention whether press fitting was required. to initially seat the bearings.
The stock system may work well for robotic assembly but should I ever pull my swing arm again I shall definitely go the sealed 6901 way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
Those seals in the center just seemed to have too large an OD to fit into the swing arm.
I'll get them in there if that's where they go. They came out. I thought I was doing something wrong
How long do TWs go before feeling swing arm play. It's nice Yammie puts grease fittings on the swing arm
I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"OK I went to install my swing arm. Took the time to clean and grease the bushings and seals all nice. But I'm confused how to fit the inner seals. They don't fit into the swing arm for me. Or do they? And there is no room between the swing arm and engine cases.
They came from somewhere"

Worst thing is when you get it all in and see a seal on the floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts