TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was paroozing the service manual, and can't seem to find the lubrication/maintenance frequency for the swing arm or any of the other zerk gun connection points.

Anyone know where to find that info? Or recommendations on how often?

I figure aside from making a mess you could do it regularly, but I was hoping to find the factory recommendations.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Repair manual shows every 6000 kms. i do mine a lot more than that. if i am on a really rough section or wet conditions i will grease more often. Worst that will happen is messy
Thanks Afazakas, I could find the torque specs in the repair sections, is there a section I missed with just maintenance intervals?

·
Registered
604 Posts
It is also in the owners manual that comes with the bike. Section 7, page 6, item 11 in my 2016 model manual.
Can't imagine much change in page/chapter location due to only a paint scheme difference.

Marty

·
Read Only
173 Posts
Second what Afazakas stated. Riding conditions dictate it more than anything else. I did notice the temperature of this engine can thin out a poor grade grease in this spot, so I went on the search for the highest temp grease I could find and have been using Mystik JT-6. One tube of that for this bike should last a heck of a long time. The other thing to watch for when doing it is on left side of the swingarm toward the inside, there is a little hole on the crankcase (at least on my 2013) that may fill up with grease. Just take a q-tip and clean that out so it doesn't end up under your tire. I just happened to do mine again yesterday.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Second what Afazakas stated. Riding conditions dictate it more than anything else. I did notice the temperature of this engine can thin out a poor grade grease in this spot, so I went on the search for the highest temp grease I could find and have been using Mystik JT-6. One tube of that for this bike should last a heck of a long time. The other thing to watch for when doing it is on left side of the swingarm toward the inside, there is a little hole on the crankcase (at least on my 2013) that may fill up with grease. Just take a q-tip and clean that out so it doesn't end up under your tire. I just happened to do mine again yesterday.
Thanks MtnMan, I was looking for a "preferred" grease, I had a tube of valvoline grease I haven't opened yet, but I'll see if I can get a tube of that.

As soon as I read Afazakaz's post, I remembered I'd seen the chart somewhere, but I just went lookingin the service manual, forgot about the owners manual booklets!

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
If you want something more elegant than the OEM polymer bushings from the 80s one can always install bearings, even sealed bearings so you'll never have to break out the grease gun again.

·
Read Only
173 Posts
If you want something more elegant than the OEM polymer bushings from the 80s one can always install bearings, even sealed bearings so you'll never have to break out the grease gun again.
Hey Fred... you wouldn't happen to have some part numbers of ones you've used by any chance. If they've been on your bike, I already know they've been through a rigorous quality assurance program :p

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Sorry, no I did not install swing arm bearings myself.
I just remember reading here about someone else here doing it with simple open face ball bearing just about a month after I installed the 2" extended swing arm Joemama gave me. That install took a bit of deleted expletives to get all the seals aligned. Bearings someone used were common, sized by inner I.D. ( shaft diameter) in whole mm x outer dimeter in whole mm ( opening in swingarm). Very common bearings, should be about $5 each from your local Timken dealer. If you take your swing arm off you can quickly measure shaft and swing arm to get bearings same day I would imagine. Depending on size of your village sealed bearings might take a special order.:cool:
At the time I figured the hassle of multiple part alignment could be simplified by using single, or double sided sealed bearings instead, thus deleting the hard to align OEM sealing caps. Any end play due to seal deletion could then be made up with appropriate thickness washers.
Maybe you could try the search feature here to locate the old post...dates from somewhere around 2016.

·
Read Only
173 Posts
I'm not gonna switch mine over until it's needed, but when I do this will be the route I go. I saw a kit on Procycle, but from the pics they don't look like sealed bearings. Hopefully that's a concern that is way down the road.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
With sealed bearings the zirk fitting will do you no good unless you pull the inner seal off so that you can still add new grease. I watched on how to prolong riding mower blade bearings and that was the trick so you can add grease since it doesn't go past the seals on the sealed bearings.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
You'll still want to use some anti-sieze or grease to prevent corrosion of the pivot shaft. However appropriate sized washer or shim between swing arm and frame will help prevent excessive grease pressure from forcing bearings too far inadvertently making a permanent assembly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts