TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am chopping and extending my swingarm 150mm. I thought that I had previously found a post (I can't find it now, though) that stated the swingarm was D.O.M. steel, or drawn over mandrel steel. But that is how it is made, not what it is made of.

So, is the swingarm a mild steel or a chromoly? I want to use like with like for my extension. Any one know what type of steel the swingarm is constructed?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After further research, I have found that mild steel and chromoly spark different colors when cut or ground. Apparently mild steel sparks yellow while chromoly steel sparks blue. Guess I will see what the swingarm sparks...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Mild steel, near as I can tell.

I'm splicing two together for mine. They cut like butter, so I expect they'll weld like it, too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old Post http://tw200forum.com/forums/2/98557/ShowPost.aspx#98557

All the specs I can find just say "STEEL" I would think if it was chromoly they would be proud to say so.

Although I do have chromoly sprockets

Thank you! That is exactly the post I couldn't find. I think you are right, it would probably be stamped as XXXX chromoly steel or something. I am hoping to add some new chromoly sprockets soon too!

Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mild steel, near as I can tell.

I'm splicing two together for mine. They cut like butter, so I expect they'll weld like it, too.

I was surprised at the 1/16ths thickness; I had expected it to be much thicker. Splicing two together is an interesting idea and I would enjoy hearing about your splicing method. I am just jigging, chopping, welding inserts and capping. Although I am adding plug welds as well.

How much extension are you adding and what are your plans for the brake rod?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
150mm's (6") is a lot. I don't have the pieces handy at the moment, not sure there's enough straight section to accomodate that length.

Mine will be about 2 1/2". Cut one swingarm just forward of the snail adjusting pins. Cut the second one's arms off as far forward as the desired stretch.

Splice the two together with a sleeve or spud plates, jig it up and weld. Only one joint.

Ronnydog did his by simply spanning the gap with an inside sleeve. Villageidiot does his using your method. Mine wastes a swingarm. All should work fine given decent weld quality and jigging.

Brake rod for mine will come from a Virago. Yours will likely need a welded extension.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
150mm's (6") is a lot. I don't have the pieces handy at the moment, not sure there's enough straight section to accomodate that length.

I wasn't expecting 150mm to be a big deal given its the smallest size of the import kits, and VillageIdiot's statement that he can stretch one up to 254mm or 10 inches. I have PM'd VillageIdiot but haven't heard from him yet. I may have to reevaluate the length of my stretch based upon how much insert overlap I can achieve.

As I think more about it, the import kits are likely not stretches of stock swingarms, but rather new fabrications given that they do not appear to have the factory zerk fittings for greasing the swingarm bushing.

All should work fine given decent weld quality and jigging.

Yes, I agree! I will take some photos as I proceed. If I screw it up I can always find another swingarm or import a kit...

Thanks for the replies, this board is great.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swingarm jigged and plasma cut. I will post more as I proceed.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Village idiot (Colby) extended my swingarm, came out great. He did end up selling his TW though and all his spare parts. Nit sure if he is still on the forum. With regards to the brake rod, I had a Verdugo one but with my 3" extension and ttr225 brake arm(design comes forward rather than straight up like the tw), the Verdugo rod was too long. One benefit of using the ttr225 brake arm, I was able to use the stock tw brake rod.

Josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Village idiot (Colby) extended my swingarm, came out great. He did end up selling his TW though and all his spare parts. Nit sure if he is still on the forum. With regards to the brake rod, I had a Verdugo one but with my 3" extension and ttr225 brake arm(design comes forward rather than straight up like the tw), the Verdugo rod was too long. One benefit of using the ttr225 brake arm, I was able to use the stock tw brake rod.

Josh

Good call on the TTR arm. The curve would solve the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Good call on the TTR arm. The curve would solve the problem. Thanks.
More leverage as well. It took some adjustment but I am able to lock up my bighorn 2 on pavement. Not that you want to, but my rear brake never felt so strong.

Josh

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
For information...

[url="http://www.sainet.or.jp/~megaton/sub1.html]The manufacturer suspension arms in Japan ...[/url]

OK. An entirely new swingarm, which explains the cost. I was wondering why they cost so much, thought it was importation fees.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For information...

[url="http://www.sainet.or.jp/~megaton/sub1.html]The manufacturer suspension arms in Japan ...[/url]

Wow-that is some sweet work. Thanks for the link! I doubt mine comes out looking *that* good.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello

It's easy to find used extended swingarms in Japan, just have to check on Yahoo auctions or visit stores in Ueno.

Most popular are made by Kijima and are available in black or chromed finish, +150 or +200mm

I wouldn't bother making one by myself.

Cheers

lol @ "made in Kawaguchi" funny one Christddel, Saitama ken is N°1, thanks for the link

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello

It's easy to find used extended swingarms in Japan, just have to check on Yahoo auctions or visit stores in Ueno.

Most popular are made by Kijima and are available in black or chromed finish, +150 or +200mm

I wouldn't bother making one by myself.

Cheers

lol @ "made in Kawaguchi" funny one Christddel, Saitama ken is N°1, thanks for the link

I looked at the Kijima arms, but they are $500 to 600, which is nearly what I paid for my bike.

Additionally for me, the real enjoyment is in doing as much stuff as I can myself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I looked at the Kijima arms, but they are $500 to 600, which is nearly what I paid for my bike.

Additionally for me, the real enjoyment is in doing as much stuff as I can myself.

hello

sure, it's the same for us, we generally make our swing arms but only when they got unusual dimensions (for 10" wide wheel on our GSXR powered trike for example) but long swing arms are common on TW there and easy to find at cheap prices.

thare are also models from other brands and you can get them for 20,000¥, not same quality as Kijima of course but good enough.

check here

and there

Nihonjin made in Kawaguchi, pretty cool, my wife was born in Omiya

you shouldn't underestimate the second hand market too, many ppl in Europe buy used parts argueing they're more affordable.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts