TW200 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was right, it didn't come out looking as good as the aftermarket kits. From 30 feet away, it looks great. Up close it looks horrible. If I was just gonna cover it in mud, I would bolt it on and ride, as it is super strong. But I am streeting it, and that swing arm will be on display.

Oh well, looks like we will be importing a swingarm! Where's that Kijima catalog...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks! Japan is on my list of places to visit-one day I'll get there!

Hi

Sure, please let me know when you're there, there are cool restaurants in Omiya and I know some motorcycles addicts in Akabane, both are located near Kawaguchi

Cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
sorethumb, if you dont want the expense of a japan one, i have a core swingarm available to do a stretch. sorry it took so long for me to respond.

i did sell my bike and all the parts, but kept my jig and will stretch a swingarm for 200 bucks, plus shipping. if i use my core, its an additional 50 dollars as i have to try and find other cores to keep one on the shelf

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi

Pages dedicated to TW are 42/43 but you will find many other adaptable parts all over the catalog

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sorethumb, sorry to hear that your welds didn't cut it. It always seems to simple, doesn't it? Before you weld? Then you start sparking and arcing and before you know it doesn't look quite like you imagined.

I went through this myself when working on my extended kickstand. Welding is frustrating! I look forward to perfecting it though.

Also looking forward to following your build!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sorethumb, sorry to hear that your welds didn't cut it. It always seems to simple, doesn't it? Before you weld? Then you start sparking and arcing and before you know it doesn't look quite like you imagined.

I went through this myself when working on my extended kickstand. Welding is frustrating! I look forward to perfecting it though.

Also looking forward to following your build!

Thanks, Catamount! I am taking pics along the way and plan on starting a thread about my build when there is a bit more accomplished. Between your build and the pictures that Mame Shiba keeps putting up I have a lot to live up to though! This is my first bike build so hopefully you guys will go easy one me.

Yeah, it was disappointing how terrible the swingarm looked after welding. You're right, you think, "How hard can this be? Cut here, weld there, grind, er, grind...crap."

It's super strong, but you can only grind so much. The square corners of the swingarm also turned wavy near the weld sites and there was no way to fix it. It looks great from 30 yards away and not so great at 3 feet away. Just not what I was looking for in a pure street build.

I am now leaning toward the Megaton swingarm from Japan. Looks like a small fabrication shop, and the work looks great. Plus the kit comes with the extended brake rod so that solves an additional problem I was facing.

This board is great and when (note I said when, not if) my next problem crops up, I'll be here begging for help!

Ride safe.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To cap off this thread, I indeed ordered the Megaton extended swing arm from Japan. The quality is top notch, and I am looking forward to installing it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi

Good idea

I will be back to Japan in May and let them know about their foreign customers

Saitama ken is N°1

Have a great day

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That's purty, and that lower shock hole option could help eliminate the stinkbug look.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Thanks, Catamount! I am taking pics along the way and plan on starting a thread about my build when there is a bit more accomplished. Between your build and the pictures that Mame Shiba keeps putting up I have a lot to live up to though! This is my first bike build so hopefully you guys will go easy one me.

Yeah, it was disappointing how terrible the swingarm looked after welding. You're right, you think, "How hard can this be? Cut here, weld there, grind, er, grind...crap."

It's super strong, but you can only grind so much. The square corners of the swingarm also turned wavy near the weld sites and there was no way to fix it. It looks great from 30 yards away and not so great at 3 feet away. Just not what I was looking for in a pure street build.

I am now leaning toward the Megaton swingarm from Japan. Looks like a small fabrication shop, and the work looks great. Plus the kit comes with the extended brake rod so that solves an additional problem I was facing.

This board is great and when (note I said when, not if) my next problem crops up, I'll be here begging for help!

Ride safe.

Take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it.

Ronnydog

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@Tee Dubs: How I ordered it and had it shipped is detailed HERE.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I will do my best to answer them.

@Lizrdbrth: It is pretty, and the quality is top notch. Included with the kit is a coupler and rod for extending the brake rod which solves that problem for you. It will be interesting to see which shock position works best.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts