1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Does extending the swing make this squrilly bike more stable at top speed (70)?
I have found that it is the front end that gets squirrely. I have been thinking about getting a steering stabilizer but stay off the highway until I can afford one of these.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This project is taking longer than I'd like. Still need to lengthen brake rod and get an O-ring chain. 134 link should do it. I need to get this finished up for an upcoming trip to Idaho.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
This project is taking longer than I'd like. Still need to lengthen brake rod and get an O-ring chain. 134 link should do it. I need to get this finished up for an upcoming trip to Idaho.
I'd like to see how you extend the brake rod.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK you have my interest for sure! I want to do this exact same thing.

z

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was considering using a piece of tubing that has an I.D. of the brake rod O.D.. I think I saw a previous post on here awhile back by another member.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you have a tig rig this would be a really quick job. Just find a piece the same diameter and weld it in there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Updates? I know I want to see how the swingarm came out... the brake rod I can figure out..

z

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was supposed to leave to go Bear/Wolf hunting today but the other guys backed out. Decided to swap out swingarm instead of wandering around in Grizz country by myself.

Still waiting on brake rod to be lengthened.

Pictures are with the axle snails set at #5. There is 3 inches of clearance between tire lug and swingarm.

I think a swingarm stretch of 2 inches would be about right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have found that it is the front end that gets squirrely. I have been thinking about getting a steering stabilizer but stay off the highway until I can afford one of these.

Yes.. yes it is! Mine is a little extra squirrley as I've got a fair bit more hp on the ground. What stabilizer were you considering?

z

·
Registered
187 Posts
Was supposed to leave to go Bear/Wolf hunting today but the other guys backed out. Decided to swap out swingarm instead of wandering around in Grizz country by myself.

Still waiting on brake rod to be lengthened.

Pictures are with the axle snails set at #5. There is 3 inches of clearance between tire lug and swingarm.

I think a swingarm stretch of 2 inches would be about right.

Now that right there is frikin cool! I assume you extended your swingarm for clearance issues for your stompy big back tire? I was thinking about a 4 inch extension on my bike, my bike has bridgestones on it and won't see any off road use.. gravel at the worst I'd think. I'm extending mine for looks and highway stability. Any chance I could get the pieces from you?

z

·
Registered
187 Posts
Perhaps too much longer than 2 or so inchs would be too much to ask strength wise of an extended swingarm? How was the wall thickness of the swinger? What stock did you build your extension pieces out of? Can you tell I REALLY want to do this mod to my bike? LOL

z

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually I've been thinking about this and I'm gonna do you a favor.... send me that and I'll "test it for you"... yeah thats it.. test it for you! I'll put it through that awful "break-in" period for you and do all that longer/extended swingarm maintenance .. you know.. look at it and grin.. all that stuff....

z

1 - 20 of 57 Posts