TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys. I switched to an 'O' ring chain four weeks ago. After removal my old chain 4,000 mi. (oem) was so good my guy asked if he could have it. (of course)

I just filled the tank for the fourth time. My gas mileage has consistently been 3/5 miles better with this new chain.

The question. Is it likely a switch in chains would/could increase my mpg? Or just happenstance?

No rush to respond guys. I'm off to the trails~GiGGle~

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
It’ll make a difference for sure, as you’re not “forcing” the old chain any more – probably as much to do with you taking it easy (throttle wise) on the new one as well ………..

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Just for the record. Nothing but wd40 used on old chain. Applied liberally every fill up. Approx. 100 miles.
Bought a gallon from HD and still have more than half left.
My hypothesis has been the main thing wrong with the OEM chain is the lack of lubrication. More accurately, neglect! From the sound of it it seems there is still some service life left in the old chain. Well done man. Very well done!

I bet 140wt gear oil would have worked even better.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Tony

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Nippurr is one of our beloved lady riders I believe Tony.

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I saw a graph a long time ago about the friction/resistance of various types of chains and yes, the "O" ring chains and "X" ring chains showed a substantial reduction in both.

Let me see if I can find that...

Duh, found it. Clicky heah, ====> D.I.D Racing Chains and DirtStar® Rims

It's published by DID and I found it on the interwebs so it's got to be true.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll be turning the clock at 4k on my stock chain round about tomorrow evening. You wouldn't happen to have taken any pictures of your chain or sprockets would ya? Just wondering. I use some black label chain lube stuff I got at the local shop.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I recently replaced the original stock chain on my TW, along with the sprockets.

The chain had 8,900 miles on it. I was trying to get to 10k but had to disassemble the engine to solve another problem, so thought it would be a good time to make the change.

For lubrication I used DuPont MultiPurpose Lube with Teflon exclusively. However, I have recently read that DuPont has changed the formulation on that product, so I may need to find another one. I also have found that Lowe's no longer stocks the DuPont product.

jb

Reactions: elime

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be turning the clock at 4k on my stock chain round about tomorrow evening. You wouldn't happen to have taken any pictures of your chain or sprockets would ya? Just wondering. I use some black label chain lube stuff I got at the local shop.
I'm the worst picture taker. But the guy who did the work for me said my chain and rear sprocket are like new. He wanted the old chain so he got it.

I only made the change on account of all the good things I read on here about 'o' ring chains.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
So, is that the current record for miles on an OEM chain...8900 miloes by jbfla ?????

Just want to know, because I would like to break that record. I am using the OEM chain, and have installed a ScottOiler to constantly lube my chain, as well as having installed a Chain Tensioner, to keep the lower run of the chain from whipping. I expec t to get 8903.14159 miles out of this chain.

I wonder how many trip to Moab that would be? :eek:
Approximately 8.1680197 ;) "if" you get 8903.14158....:D

Reactions: TWilight and Purple

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
~GiGGle~LADY~GiGGle~Would you be tryin for my pants?~GiGGle~
No Ma'am. I'm a Gentleman, but we do value and esteem our ladies highly here.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Well then, lil darlin'....in your case, I might make an exception. :D

ONLY KIDDING ONLY KIDDING ONLY KIDDING!!! :p

You're funny....ha ha LOL!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
She's young and pretty too bro! ;)

But I'm old, fat and ugly. She'd go runnin away in a heatbeat.

Plus, it's been so long, I don't think I would know what to do anymore......:crybaby2:

Reactions: TWilight and Purple

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
:mad::mad::mad: do I have to? :D ha ha

Reactions: Purple
1 - 20 of 41 Posts