TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my 06 tw for about 3 months. Put a few hundred miles on her and its been a blast. But the other day she started rolling out blue/white smoke, then lost power, then made a clank/rattle noise and died. My local mechanic who has been a friend for 15 years took the top end apart and found the damage in the pics. Already got a replacement cylinder, piston, and rings going in this week. The head, valves, and bottom end were all fine. Seems like a freak failure, figured you all would like to take a look. By the way, the bike only has 2k original miles on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Wow, yeah like mountain yawp said I'd like to know what the loose piece in thar caused this mess.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Looks like the lower ring failed on the piston. My guess is lack of oil, could be any number of reasons.....

Tom

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Could it have been the obvious WRONG OIL FILTER????????? I am so tired of hearing about the 2 hole filters destroying engines and we just can't stress this issue enough. Any dealer at this point that installs the wrong filter and destroys another engine is just an idiot. Yamaha themselves must accept some of the blame for this as well. Every shop should have clear pictures posted in the parts and service areas showing the side by side 2 and 4 hole filters.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Could it have been the obvious WRONG OIL FILTER????????? I am so tired of hearing about the 2 hole filters destroying engines and we just can't stress this issue enough. Any dealer at this point that installs the wrong filter and destroys another engine is just an idiot. Yamaha themselves must accept some of the blame for this as well. Every shop should have clear pictures posted in the parts and service areas showing the side by side 2 and 4 hole filters.

GaryL
I was thinking the same thing. Just could not bring myself to put in print YET AGAIN!

Tom

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
I thought it was some kind of "engine nugget" which came from below the way the gouge marks are. Very well could be from oil starvation and then something broke loose. My thought was the nugget chewed up the lower ring as I would've expected more catastrophic destruction of the ring should it have been the culprit. Whatever the cause it put a huge crosswise gouge in the piston. Hope TwFox06's mechanic was able to tell what happened while he tore it apart.

When my 2005 with the 1993 engine self-destructed from oil starvation (missing oil galley bolt not the filter) my damage was more up and down scratches from the piston. I didn't have a nugget issue either.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Not the filter. Holes in the filter lubricate the upper head and camshaft. Cylinder / piston and rings and wrist pin are lubricated by splash off the crank.

Hard to tell but is that a casting failure in the cylinder?

Also odd how there is a groove right where the top ring split is and it goes all the way through the second ring into the oil ring. Major damage to oil ring is to the right of the groove.

Now is the time to upgrade to at least a 68mm Wiseco high compression piston. Maybe even consider a 70mm piston.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
If I had to guess and that is all this is, I would think an E clip holding the wrist pin in place came lose or broke.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Bummer. Thanks for sharing. Good to hear you have a mechanic you know and trust. Let us know if he figures out the cause. Was it pretty fast from smoke to death?

·
Registered
61 Posts
That looks like an overheated piston to me. Low to no oil presssue would do it - among other things. I've read posts in this forum about using the wrong oil filter. Now I'm taking it more seriously. I'm going to find out more on the correct filter and order a few. I've been upgrading more than riding, so I haven't even broken in the engine yet. That would be a hell of a way to break it in.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Maybe a defective piston?

Support for the oil ring is fairly thin around the wrist pin hole. If one looks at the support for the oil ring on the other side of the hole it looks non-existent when compared to a new Yamaha piston.

PC040031.JPG

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Wow, extremely rare for that wrist pin clip to fail. Not getting put in correctly as elime mentions would seem way more likely. Either way, you got some unwanted experience.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Wow, extremely rare for that wrist pin clip to fail. Not getting put in correctly as elime mentions would seem way more likely. Either way, you got some unwanted experience.
Maybe that is why they say to always use new clips.......which I never do and probably won't start doing because it has never been a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I find interesting is that the remains of the clip moved from one side of the cylinder to the other side via the center of the wrist pin. I also find that it would be very unusual for Yamaha to assemble that cylinder with the top compression ring right in line with the wrist pin. Are there any other signs the engine has been apart before? I'd nearly bet someone has reused a circlip and bent it.
Its all news to me at this point, like I said I've only had it a few months. I suppose its very possible that some previous work has been done. Just didn't seem likely with the mileage and I'm the second owner, but you never know. I'll ask my mechanic if he sees any signs of foul play or if he has any other details on the breakdown.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts