TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a 64 y/o divorced male who has recently retired after almost 40 years at a company. I’m 6’-1” tall, 170#, in good health and pretty good shape as I exercise and work out regularly.

I’ve owned a couple of dual-sports in my younger life, the most recent about 17 years ago. When I got the last bike, a Suzuki DR350S, I took and passed a MSF rider course. I owned the DR350S for seven years but only rode in nice weather and then not a lot, maybe a few hundred miles annually, mostly around the small town I lived in. Although I’d originally planned to ride off-road some, I never did. I always rode alone as none of my friends had motorcycles. I sold the bike after getting interested in whitewater kayaking and backpacking and considering that I didn’t ride it very much.

I subsequently developed arthritis in one hip that eventually greatly limited my physical activity. I finally had a hip replacement about a year ago. I had a longer than typical convalescence due to hip socket bone erosion issues caused mainly by my waiting longer than I should have for the replacement. All seems to be well now though, and I feel better and am more active than I have been in a long time.

I’m again hankering to have a dual-sport, just to putter around town on, in the nearby Nat'l Forest, and perhaps take out West to ride some easy desert trails. Big Bend NP is one of my favorite places and I’d love to ride the back roads in the park. For what I’d do, I think the TW200 would be perfect and I’d love to have one but, at my age, I’m also very concerned about getting hurt, especially as I really don’t have anyone to look after me if something would happen. I know that if I was seriously injured I’d greatly regret ever getting back on a bike.

If you’re still reading, I’m sure you’re wondering what the point of this verbose post is. I’m not too sure myself, but this forum seems to have a number of older riders on it and I guess I’m looking for their thoughts and comments on how someone like myself might have a little T-Dub fun without it becoming a regrettable experience. If it seems like a bad idea for someone of my age and level of experience, I’d like to know that.

TL;DR — Old guy wants T-Dub for a little fun in his retired golden years but is skeered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also 64 and except for no hip replacement your probably in better physical shape that I am. The TW is a very light weight bike and unless you have balance problems should be fine. If you off road it you should have someone to ride with. If your truly frightened I might think twice because fear can lead to you messing up. But I think if I can ride the 850 pounder in the background you can handle a TW.

Oh and if you do get one get the bigger foot pegs right off the bat they're much better.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Nothing to be skeered of, there are lots of other old guys on here with hip and knee replacements that do just fine on these little bikes. The TW is a lot shorter than a DR350 and should be great for the type of riding that you plan to do. There is also a group ride being planned for Big Bend NP if you want to meet up with some of the nut jobs on this forum.

Welcome to the forum,

Brian

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Mr. Owl ...may I call you Hoot?

Find & take an inexpensive Motorcycle Safety Foundation "Basic Rider Course" at a local Jr. College, or wherever.
I believe they are all using TW200s now so you could not only learn the ropes but test the waters before you buy your TW!

The course is just excellent and covers all the basics and then some...it's a 2 day-long weekend course, part classroom, part field work (large parking lot).
And you will qualify for a 10% discount on your bike insurance.

After you have been riding a while, they offer various Experienced Rider Courses and even a basic Dirt Rider Course.

https://www.msf-usa.org/

I thought I might be the oldest rider here at 75, but I see Bartruff has me beat at 80!
I see he has a screw loose but I have 2, so I guess we're about even...! :D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Putter-around/Retired/170lbs./divorced:

Buzzwords that certainly point at a TW in your future.
Put some weight on (I'm jealous).

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Owl welcome to the forum and to the fray !

The TW will be the perfect 2 wheeled buddy for you I think your lucky and wise to be looking at it

It's probably the best bike" for a full size guy to put around on with enough power to get you anywhere you need to go but not too much to flip over backwards and do an Evel Knievel

No reason to worry about making a mistake purchase wise because they have a great resale value much like a low mile Toyota PU there will be 10 guys wishing they had one for every one that is on the used market

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’m a 64 y/o divorced male who has recently retired after almost 40 years at a company. I’m 6’-1” tall, 170#, in good health and pretty good shape as I exercise and work out regularly.

I’ve owned a couple of dual-sports in my younger life, the most recent about 17 years ago. When I got the last bike, a Suzuki DR350S, I took and passed a MSF rider course. I owned the DR350S for seven years but only rode in nice weather and then not a lot, maybe a few hundred miles annually, mostly around the small town I lived in. Although I’d originally planned to ride off-road some, I never did. I always rode alone as none of my friends had motorcycles. I sold the bike after getting interested in whitewater kayaking and backpacking and considering that I didn’t ride it very much.

I subsequently developed arthritis in one hip that eventually greatly limited my physical activity. I finally had a hip replacement about a year ago. I had a longer than typical convalescence due to hip socket bone erosion issues caused mainly by my waiting longer than I should have for the replacement. All seems to be well now though, and I feel better and am more active than I have been in a long time.

I’m again hankering to have a dual-sport, just to putter around town on, in the nearby Nat'l Forest, and perhaps take out West to ride some easy desert trails. Big Bend NP is one of my favorite places and I’d love to ride the back roads in the park. For what I’d do, I think the TW200 would be perfect and I’d love to have one but, at my age, I’m also very concerned about getting hurt, especially as I really don’t have anyone to look after me if something would happen. I know that if I was seriously injured I’d greatly regret ever getting back on a bike.

If you’re still reading, I’m sure you’re wondering what the point of this verbose post is. I’m not too sure myself, but this forum seems to have a number of older riders on it and I guess I’m looking for their thoughts and comments on how someone like myself might have a little T-Dub fun without it becoming a regrettable experience. If it seems like a bad idea for someone of my age and level of experience, I’d like to know that.

TL;DR — Old guy wants T-Dub for a little fun in his retired golden years but is skeered.
I am 73 yr old and bought a TW200 6 weeks ago. I had your same exact doubts and fears. To make matter worse for me I had never owned a bike until now. So shifting and everything else was completely new to me. Obviously I took the plunge and bough the bike, learned on it and now I feel fairly confident when I ride it but I'm still very conservative and careful. Like you I have no one to care for me if anything should happen. I cannot tell you what to do and how to feel. You have had previous experience with bikes, I had none. All I can say is that it's a lot of fun to ride. My plan is to ride the length of Baja sometimes this fall. I have no experience, none. But if I'm gonna buy the proverbial farm I can't think of a better way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just turned 46 yesterday, I have to say go for it! I have been out of motorcycles for quite some time and have found the TW and thought anyone can ride them with confidence. I'm positive that you will find friends on this forum that would love to ride with you and show you the ropes of the machine. I think for myself, it will be a new freedom and great experience and that is why I purchased an older one last month. Hope you pull the trigger and enjoy all that life has to offer!

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Recently divorced and recently retired sounds like you cut lose a couple of anchors. Getting the bones in order and working well is a good thing and with all the free time you now have I say go for it. Actually, if you are not too butt hurt in the divorce then go for it times 2 and find a nice gal who can cook and wants to have some adventures in learning to ride a mild mannered bike. Off road is one of the beauties of these bikes and you just have to pick the places that don't require advanced expertise. Just go slow and be careful and never be afraid to turn back if it gets too challenging. I'm 67 and in relatively good health but with all the standard ailments of getting old such as bad knees and lower back plus some carpel tunnel so riding is a chore and can be rather painful. I go out for an hour or two to just putt around and rarely ever get out of third gear when on a trail. I used to be a complete maniac and very accomplished dirt rider but those days got up and went and I now know my limitations and also am well aware I just don't heal like before. I watch the younger guys have all the fun now and to be very honest I would love to have a TW that is electric and whisper quiet so I could cruise the trails in near silence and just enjoy the scenery and wildlife along the slow rides. Just because your TW is capable of going through No Mans Land does not mean you have to go there. Drive defensively when ever you are on the open roads because other drivers seem to be out to get us. I always expect other drivers to pull out in front of me, run stop signs and red lights and make turns right into my path so be very careful because pavement really hurts. A simple dump in the woods or trail side nap is usually not that big of a deal if you are going slow and lose control as long as you have some protective gear. Try to hit every root or downed tree at 90 degree angles and if you do buy a stock TW then immediately toss the front tire out and get one that won't dump you off unexpectedly.

GaryL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although I am not 64 - in my opinion it is not that old. I ride and surf with guys much older than that. While I appreciate your worries about possibly getting hurt I think you still have to live your life the way you want to. This is not an insult but your post sounded like someone who was 74. I believe if you let your age get in the way just because of the number - your gonna have a very boring life for what's left of it. Now your retired is the time to start really living. If you don't do what you want now while you still can - man your gonna really regret it later. Have faith in God and go for it. I really hope you do. Take care and maybe see you on the trail.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I'm 70 and I ride alone most of the time. The only time I've dumped the TW has been standing still or nearly so. Each time my gear protected me. Good gear is a must. I haven't gone the whole body armor route, but CE internal padding in pants and jacket, and above all good calf length boots and a full face MX helmet....I hear they have rattlesnakes and maybe even water moccasins in Arkansas.....that's what I'D be skeert of! :eek:

I compensate for the age factor and riding alone in the back country by riding real slow, being very conservative about technical sections, and always carrying an InReach unit. I do have to ride on pavement a few miles, and in town, but this book has really helped and so far in 50,000 miles over the last 8 years I've never had a crash at speed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1620081199/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

You only live once, GO FOR IT!!! :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Bartruff, you should have let your post stand. I thought it was helpful in that I've had similar thoughts myself about how a person needs to strike a balance between having some fun and adventure in one's life and playing it safe.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I turn 60 this year...and "quitting" is not on my radar.
Granted, there are factors that I cannot control with regards to aging, but I want to keep riding for as long as I can. If this means going slower than everyone else...so be it.
If it means not attempting any single track....so be it. If it means having to forgo some trails that I use to ride with ease...so be it.
I've never been an aggressive rider...I've never wheelied on purpose and I don't jump...and there's been many a time that I've looked at a route and just said "Nope!" to myself.

If I can keep going into my 70's, that would be great...but there's got to be a balance of time in the seat, and time OUT of the seat (hiking, walking, skiing, snow-shoeing, etc) and STRETCHING is becoming really important, as I'm discovering.

In the next year or two, I can picture having to get rid of my DR650...getting hard to handle a 400lb bike, especially in the "technical" stuff (what I call technical). I don't want to tear a quad or ruin a rotator cuff, because we all know how slowly things heal as we age!
I guess the message to this post is: enjoy it while you can, because there will come a day when you can't....let's hold that time at bay for as long as we can!

Happy riding!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Bartruff, you should have let your post stand. I thought it was helpful in that I've had similar thoughts myself about how a person needs to strike a balance between having some fun and adventure in one's life and playing it safe.
Don't encourage me....the post was made in jest...I don't drink or ride like that....but I am 80 and I ride and ski and hike and I do it carefully but I enjoy it immensely ….not ready for bingo on Tuesdays at the Senior Center....but some day I will be...just not quite yet.....bart

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I am 69, and not in good physical shape. I still work, and try to keep up with work at home. I wish I had close trails to ride, but don't so I ride in my back acre. I think you should go for it as long as you feel like it. All the advise here seems prudent to me, so get yourself a TW and let the fun begin.

·
Registered
322 Posts
After realizing how many old-er guys are in this forum and still riding into their 80's- gosh I feel like a young pup at 50! Hat's off or...errrrrr...."Helmet's off" to you guys!!!

Looking forward to many more decades of exploration and adventures with my TDub.

Owl, post pics of your bike after you buy! 🙂

1 - 20 of 36 Posts