TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered the tach that elime linked to on this post: http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/44706-how-fast-does-one-push-t-dub-2.html#post647002

Got it installed last night and confirmed everything was good to go.
-----

Install instructions as come with the unit are straight forward.

Wire:
Simply wrap the end 3-4 times and around the spark plug wire. I secured with a supplied zip tie.

sparkplug.JPG
I routed the wire up under the gas tank and secured the bundle to the steering column (name?) tab that sticks out w/ other supplied zip tie.
tach2.PNG
Connected the unit to the handlebar crossbar and secured with non-supplied zip ties.
tach1.PNG

Upon complete physical installation, I began the process of programming.

Programming:
The programming directions are a bit confusing when it comes to settings, if you don't know which one the TW200 uses. The correct setting on the unit for the TW200 is 0.2RPM.
This is accessed by holding down the S1 button until it goes through to 2. Once that shows, release, it will flash and then it sets back to the hours screen.

Use: The unit will start once you start the bike, displaying the RPMs of the engine. Let the engine warm up a little before messing with idle speed. Many factors influence the idle speed, from temperature to altitude, etc.

ETA: Different wire routing after shortening the wire:
---

Shout out to TDubsKid's video, which I happened upon when looking up idle speed adjustment. He basically went through the same process I went through.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So whats the highest RPM you hit or do you ride like that?
Not sure what you mean?

I have mine in place for riding w/ it so I know what my RPMs are, rather than going by the ungodly noise that is the engine. I was surprised how low the RPMs are vs what the sound is.

I also used it to adjust idle speed

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Good question CS1983, for I too dislike bundled up excess wiring. Since the tac works by picking up an induction pulse from the spark plug wire I doubt reducing the overall impedance of the lead wire by shortening it would matter. One could always measure the resistance of the removed length of wire and if concerned replace it with a series wired resistor of matching impedance.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Good question CS1983, for I too dislike bundled up excess wiring. Since the tac works by picking up an induction pulse from the spark plug wire I doubt reducing the overall impedance of the lead wire by shortening it would matter. One could always measure the resistance of the removed length of wire and if concerned replace it with a series wired resistor of matching impedance.
Ohm my God that is good advice Fred.

Tom

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked an EE buddy after I posted and he said the wire should be able to be shortened w/ no ill effects. Since the tach is only 7 bucks, I'll go ahead and shorten it up.

I plan to leave it slightly long for future projects (gas tank, handlebar raising, etc.). That way I don't end up w/ a wire which is too short in the future. I think a few wraps is a better compromise than a fistful of wire or being a 1/2" short or something.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, shortened mine and also rerouted the wire in a different fashion. Will get pics up in a little bit. No change in operation after wire being shortened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts