TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Button Jacket Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Spoke Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior

Using a tank bag with a taper corresponding to the rear fender, the rubber pad was used as a template to punch holes in the bottom.

6 mm stainless steel button head fasteners with fender washers secure the pad inside the bag.

To minimize stressing the molded-in "nuts" in the fender, longer fasteners allowed fender washers under the fender, with added locknuts.

Holds two 32 ounce cans of Trufuel (Lowe's), Quickspair tube sealant and inflator, two water bottles, minimal first aid items and trail snacks.

When not exploring the Spring Mountains or Sheep Mountains, it accommodates a number of items from auto parts or Home Depot/Lowes.

Contents are not secure, if parked in a public area, but bag is not likely to be removed easily.

Loaded photos to follow

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Material property Auto part Product Bag Trunk Vehicle Auto part

Photo of uncushioned contents shows capacity. Old socks and heavy duty ziplock bags are useful!

Photo included of as packed for tomorrow's trail ride, north of Gass Peak.

Ride is only 85 miles, without additional exploring, but 64 ounces of extra fuel allows another 35 miles past the 140 mile max range of the stock 1.8 gallon tank.

Photo of bag closed is not to max capacity. The tank bag design allows a map display. Main reason for map is to calculate fuel range.

80 miles last Tuesday was on 0.98 gallon, including Red Rock Canyon Loop at moderate speed, Rocky Gap Road towards Lovell Canyon at slow speed and then highway speeds (as much as break-in permits) to Yamaha of Las Vegas.

Bag is "Bilt Basic Tank Bag, Cycle Gear 613874 for $14.97 on close-out.

Tried to post link, but not allowed for a newcomer.

·
Super Moderator
14,867 Posts
Great idea for using the tank bag on back.

I got a new tank bag from Santa and hadn't considered there could be an alternate place to secure it.

Thanks for posting this pard!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks like you have thought this out SportsterDoc, perhaps some rope and a couple of bungees. Your fuel is a good idea. Generally, my a$$ runs out of gas before my bike dose.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you have thought this out SportsterDoc, perhaps some rope and a couple of bungees. Your fuel is a good idea. Generally, my a$$ runs out of gas before my bike dose.
I did 54 miles today, 26 off-road and the soreness in my arms distracted me from the seat.
Probably because I have done little M/C off-roading since 1979 and/or I turn 70 next month.
Only got 62 MPG, working it through loose rocks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that looks good and well thought out. did anyone let you know that the tail section of our bikes are only rated to carry 7 lbs, so be care full loading
Yep, it was on one of the sitckers that I removed.
Two cans of fuel are about 4#
Total load was probably 6-7#
No issues, other than fuel cans (one in sock and other not) "wiggled" 1/2 out of the zip lock bag on today's ride. But none leaked.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I added an Apache 2800 (Harbor Freight) tail case (lower than a "top case"!) to the rack on my Triumph.

Think it would work well/better than the tailbag on my TW.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

It is big enough to hold 5 quarts of oil for an auto parts run, but easy to swing a leg over and maintains a narrow profile.

Heading to central Arizona tomorrow to visit youngest daughter, son-in-law and 3 of our 14 grandkids.
Should be over 40F at the 7000 ft summit of 89A over Mingus Mountain through Jerome.

Ecoregion Map World Line Atlas

Ecoregion White Map World Nature

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, can anyone use a fairly new tailbag for cheap?
It strapped onto my rack.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Sky

Vehicle Tire Sky Ecoregion Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts