TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
inside tailbag.JPG left side with tailbag.JPG right side tailbag flat.JPG tailbag fasteners under fender.JPG tailbag flat.JPG

Using a tank bag with a taper corresponding to the rear fender, the rubber pad was used as a template to punch holes in the bottom.

6 mm stainless steel button head fasteners with fender washers secure the pad inside the bag.

To minimize stressing the molded-in "nuts" in the fender, longer fasteners allowed fender washers under the fender, with added locknuts.

Holds two 32 ounce cans of Trufuel (Lowe's), Quickspair tube sealant and inflator, two water bottles, minimal first aid items and trail snacks.

When not exploring the Spring Mountains or Sheep Mountains, it accommodates a number of items from auto parts or Home Depot/Lowes.

Contents are not secure, if parked in a public area, but bag is not likely to be removed easily.

Loaded photos to follow

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bottom row as packed for trail ride.JPG Capacity to spare.JPG Loaded.JPG

Photo of uncushioned contents shows capacity. Old socks and heavy duty ziplock bags are useful!

Photo included of as packed for tomorrow's trail ride, north of Gass Peak.

Ride is only 85 miles, without additional exploring, but 64 ounces of extra fuel allows another 35 miles past the 140 mile max range of the stock 1.8 gallon tank.

Photo of bag closed is not to max capacity. The tank bag design allows a map display. Main reason for map is to calculate fuel range.

80 miles last Tuesday was on 0.98 gallon, including Red Rock Canyon Loop at moderate speed, Rocky Gap Road towards Lovell Canyon at slow speed and then highway speeds (as much as break-in permits) to Yamaha of Las Vegas.

Bag is "Bilt Basic Tank Bag, Cycle Gear 613874 for $14.97 on close-out.

Tried to post link, but not allowed for a newcomer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you have thought this out SportsterDoc, perhaps some rope and a couple of bungees. Your fuel is a good idea. Generally, my a$$ runs out of gas before my bike dose.
I did 54 miles today, 26 off-road and the soreness in my arms distracted me from the seat.
Probably because I have done little M/C off-roading since 1979 and/or I turn 70 next month.
Only got 62 MPG, working it through loose rocks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that looks good and well thought out. did anyone let you know that the tail section of our bikes are only rated to carry 7 lbs, so be care full loading
Yep, it was on one of the sitckers that I removed.
Two cans of fuel are about 4#
Total load was probably 6-7#
No issues, other than fuel cans (one in sock and other not) "wiggled" 1/2 out of the zip lock bag on today's ride. But none leaked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts