TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to TWs but had a question before I bought one. Someone gave me a 2006 TW 200 that had some wiring problems I fixed it and it ran great…with a rusted out body. Anyway my question is this,

I found a messed up tw225 engine with a complete kickstart assembly. Would that simply just fit right into a 2006 TW 200 engine? 🤷‍♂️ Would appreciate the help and input from anyone that’s tried it😁

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
While we don't have the TW225 in the USA I believe the basic engine architecture is the same for XT, TTR & TW power plants up to 225cc displacements.
As such the TW225 kick starter very likely should be transplantable into a 2006 TW200. I believe our older TW200s kick start shafts were long enough for the thicker clutch pack used on 6 speed TTR & XT engines.
If in doubt check part numbers for your TW225 vs TW200 pre-2001.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting I will have to do some digging. Thanks for the help. Another question I had was could a tw200 head work on the tw225 transmission with the 6speed gear box?🥴🙂
Do you mean the cylinder head? Or the entire top end? It doesn't really matter, it should work just fine.
All the 200cc and 225cc heads are the same, some old ones have a decompressor, but that's it. Only fourwheelers have different cam.
I have a feeling tw225 didn't have 6spd. There is not a lot of info about the tw225. At least I don't know that much about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean the cylinder head? Or the entire top end? It doesn't really matter, it should work just fine.
All the 200cc and 225cc heads are the same, some old ones have a decompressor, but that's it. Only fourwheelers have different cam.
I have a feeling tw225 didn't have 6spd. There is not a lot of info about the tw225. At least I don't know that much about it.
Right well I just picked up a tw 225 parts bike for my 06 tw200 so will see what I can make work from here 😁. The price was right so had to grab it. I did notice the timing chain tensioner seems a little different. But my plan for the moment is to take the kickstart assembly off of the tw225 and put it on the tw200 engine. Will be a little bit of an interesting project as these bikes are in the Caribbean so it hard to get parts here 🥴🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I have TW question as a person new to tw’s. I have a tw that is older than 2000 with the front drum brakes (don’t know the exact year because it’s a beat parts bike) . I am looking for a front brake cable and speedometer cable but I can’t find them anywhere! Any ideas where I could find them?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I found this. Dunno how much extra cost it adds though.

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
Don't know about the TW225 head but someone here re-building an XT-225 motor for a TW recently posted finding a difference in cam chain pitch between US TW200 & a US XT225. Thus heads may not be interchangeable w/o a corresponding change in cam sprocket to match chain & lower end sprocket.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't know about the TW225 head but someone here re-building an XT-225 motor for a TW recently posted finding a difference in cam chain pitch between US TW200 & a US XT225. Thus heads may not be interchangeable w/o a corresponding change in cam sprocket to match chain & lower end sprocket.
Nope. At least as far as I know. Only 2001-2007 xt225 have different cam chain type (silent chain) - the same as 2008 and newer xt250. Heads are still interchangable, camshafts too. Only camshaft timing gear, timing chain, both chain sliders/guides and whole crank are different. I don't know about timing chain tensioner, so can't say.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
i love a good mystery... what year is that tw225??

hmm...
1. so your avatar flag says you are in belize, so the 225 could have been imported there.
2. round headlight, bullet turn signals, what appears to be the tired remnants of the stock tw225 tires.
3. stateside 200's, the yellow forkboots were only used two years: 1987 and 1994.
4. stateside 200's, black on black (top end/bottom end motor) were only 87-88. for the rest of the next dozen+ years the were painted silver-grey on the top end. 2225's were all black.
5. stateside 200's never had a white frame, but a 225 did.
6. 225's had a different, shortened rear plastic and taillight, like yours.
7. 225's i believe only came with front disc brake, yours has drum.
8. i highly doubt any 225 came with a red shock spring.

9. my conclusion is your bike is a Yamaha TW225E Special Edition (2007, Color 1) that has been through the wringer and tropical weather, marine air love. you've got the unicorn there, a stock 225 most can only dream of in the states, but it's been pieced together with other bits to keep it running over the last 20+ years. good on you to get it back in shape.

how'd i do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.