TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the old girl up to 11,500ft today in an attempt to scout some old mine ruins and prospect a bit. It was a great ride - but I wasn't sure about the turn I needed to take to the "old mine" and ended up riding to the "new mine." Well, I got stopped at a gate with a sign that had the sternest warning I have ever seen! Needless to say I did not venture further! I did get a nice view of my intended destination from across the valley. I'll save that for another ride. On the way back I stopped along the North Fork of the South Platte River and was happy to see over a dozen nice Rainbow Trout in full spawning mode. Should fish well this Fall.

IMG_20190806_155925.jpg

IMG_20190806_155934.jpg

·
Registered
363 Posts
Reddave,
I surely know how you feel in terms of the scenery. We're presently in Montrose CO and, spent a few days in the Ouray region. We did the Alpine loop, Amimas forks and Corkscrew gulch. Now, we didn't do it with the TW, it was with our '15 Jeep JKUR. That makes for very pleasant off roading and, also protection against UGLY elements which, we were provided with. But, I can see the fun in romping around on some of those trails with the TW. May I ask, as your TW traversed higher and higher in elevation, how well did it run? Did it seem to have any ill effects from carburation at altitude? I know our older Jeeps with carburation would spew black smoke etc. in certain occasions and, would also be quite hard to start up after they'd been sitting for just a short while. Just wondering.
Scott

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott, My basecamp is at 9000ft. I'm currently running a factory 114 jet that is old as hell and beat up so it's likely slightly larger than factory. I tried a 110 jet but it resulted in a lot of backfiring on deceleration so I switched it back. I feel that the bike runs just fine with the jet it has now. I stalled out once near the very top - but it was my fault as I lost my momentum on a steep hill climb. I stopped along the way many times and no issues with starting back up at all. But I must admit I don't have much confidence in my carburetor "tuning" abilities! So what the hell do I know...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The stock jet for '87-2000 is a 114. The equivalent jet for 2001-present is a 126. I switch to a 122 jet above 8,000. The TW is pretty good at handling too big of a jet for altitude, but 5th will become useless and RPM's will have to be kept up. It will still start, though. For a day or two I would not bother, but more than that and I would change to a smaller jet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have any holes in the airbox or anything like that either!? I did try a 110 jet but the bike didn't seem to like it. I attempted to find a factory 112 but had a hard time so I ordered a jet kit some from China some time ago... Honestly I was without the bike for so long at this point I'm just trying to get whatever riding in I can before hunting season. I will look again for a Yamaha 112.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I love checking out old mines....did a couple near Hedley BC two years ago.
Wanted to go back to the Carolin Mine north of Hope, but they were re-opened 2 or 3 years back and have been gated. I spoke to the gatekeeper and he said that it was probably going to become an open-pit as opposed to tunnels. Pity, there are some awesome Youtube videos from guys who went DEEP into that one...

The one time we went there, we didn't even bring a flashlight, so we only went in a few feet.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Red dave,
It's been a bit since I asked you about how your TW ran in the higher altitudes. Sorry for not responding but, we've been traveling and, internet sucks in some parts of the country. Anyway, just got back to this thread and, thanks for answering me. I ran mine in Ouray around some of the dirt roads etc. and that was at about 7,000' or so and, it ran like a top.
Scott

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Scott! A week or so ago I put my 110 main jet back in. I figured this was basically the same ride (until the end) so I would get a much better example of changes in how the bike ran, across multiple conditions and terrain. Rocky was spot on about 5th gear. Cruising at 50-55mph I can now accelerate significantly when applying full throttle. Don't know what top speed is now, but I gunned it to where the needle was bouncing between 60 and 65 and she was still pulling when I backed off. I actually passed someone for the first time! In fact, I would say I noticed a slight power increase in all gears. When I crossed back over the creek and went up the moderate hill to the main trail she seemed to struggle a bit - then I realized I was still in 2nd gear and never went down to first after the water. I would have never made that climb in 2nd gear before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts