TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any have good ideas for hauling TWs on a boat.

I live on an island, with a town and a road system. There are uninhabited (by humans) islands nearby where I could tie to a dock and use my bike on gravel logging and forest service roads. I could also haul it to other towns to have a vehicle when I get there.
We have taken dirt bikes before just by pushing/pulling/picking them up (three or four of us) and putting them inside an open boat, or on a fishing boat pick them up with the boom block and sit them on deck.

I'm looking for a way to do this by myself on my sport boat.

I am thinking of some kind of ramp to roll it from the dock onto the swim step, tie it down and haul it there. Then tie up at the other dock against the other side of the boat, so it can drive forwad up my ramp and onto the dock.
Ramp would need to be wide enough to walk alongside bike for control, detachable for under way, and able to attach to either side of the swim step..
My swimstep is almost big enough as is, but I might build a load deck for it with a channel for the tires, tie down points, and some way to attach the boat end of the ramp. The swim step is plenty strong as to the weight.

It would be nice if all this could be taken off the boat when not needed so it isn't in the way.

Anyone figured this out already? Love to see a picture of such a thing, how it worked for you, any pointers, etc.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some pics of your boat would help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This not the best picture, but is what I have on the iPad.
You can see an inflatable RIB on the step that flips down to launch. I could tow that, and free up the swimstep for a bike...the rear deck is too confined with the railings and canopy for easy use, plus then access into the boat would be blocked.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would consider building a separate raft to tow it over. This way you can get the raft into the beach by towing it in with the RIB. It could be made from a small work float or floating dock with tie downs and tow bit and could carry its own ramp. Also old pontoon boats make good work floats and can be had relatively cheap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would consider building a separate raft to tow it over. This way you can get the raft into the beach by towing it in with the RIB. It could be made from a small work float or floating dock with tie downs and tow bit and could carry its own ramp. Also old pontoon boats make good work floats and can be had relatively cheap.
Might work, thanks for the idea.
Problem is we are on the frequently Unpacific Ocean, so has to be able to come home in some rough water, say 3 to 4 ft seas anyway. More than that I would just stay put for a day or two. Also, then I would need a trailer and have to find space to park it.
The ideal would be a landing craft, which some here have with a drop ramp bow, but I am trying to avoid yet another boat to maintain and insure.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
How about some kind of swivel hoist. Of course this wouldn't work so good if you don't have a dock at all locations.

Imagine the swivel hoist on your boat, not UTV. :D

Reactions: Drapes

·
Registered
3,560 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas.
After consideration, I think I will abandon this idea. Too much risk to the bike and the boat. Got to thinking about all the salt spray on the swim step, ugh what a fright. I can just bum a ride with someone with a work boat where the bike can be inside the hull. Otherwise take my mountain bike and pedal!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
CT70. Street legal and small enough to toss around. There's also a fat tired electric bicycle on the market that may be just perfect for your application. Not as capable as a TW, but might be good on two-tracks you speak of.

·
Registered
281 Posts
CT70. Street legal and small enough to toss around. There's also a fat tired electric bicycle on the market that may be just perfect for your application. Not as capable as a TW, but might be good on two-tracks you speak of.
Google "Sondors" ;)

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
mount a receiver hitch tube to the top of the gunwale with some sort of rigid mount and put a HF carrier in it so the carrier is outboard of the gunwale slightly and oriented bow to stern. Sidle up to the dock, roll on the bike and strap it down. Rides high and slightly outboard of the gunwale. That boat is big enough not to notice the weight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First of all, NICE BOAT. Like, wow, I'm jealous. I always dreamed of loading up my bike onto my St.pierre Dory. Not enough room tho, maybe on my Bartender :p

Secondly,

When I worked in the shipyard, a fellow came in with a 1942 converted Army tugboat. It was used to haul freight on the west coast during the second (and possibly first) world war. The guy had his Harley on the aft deck, behind the cabin. He used the Davit that was installed for this very purpose. That is the only safe, controlled system I can imagine working on your boat. A boston whaler, or a 12 foot RHIB can't weigh more than a T-dub, and I've seen them lifted no problem. A davit would be your best choice, and endlessly useful for other stuff too :D

Get that TW on that boat, and post a pic! I'll print it out and put it on my wall, no joke :D

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
One more roll-on,roll-off idea: Built an elevated removable platform for the swim deck to carry bike above swells and hopefully at convenient height to docks, say transom height ( depending on tides of course, which can be extreme in your part of the world). However given the tendency for the sea to snatch, smash or soak what is dear to you it might be wiser to just take the mountain bike. I did some mineral exploration on a few of your islands and dealing with tides and beaching even from a small boat was a challenge for an ignorant landlubber like myself. I wish there were available at the time light electric bikes like this Osset20R at 40kilos. That is light enough to toss onboard or even ferry to dockless shores with your inflatable dingy. By the way I too admire your Sockeye.
SetWidth600-2014-20.0-R-1.jpg Good luck!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would mostly do this for hunting season, although if it was easy to carry I would do it more often than that.
Anyhow, in hunting I would need some carrying power. Thats why I put front and back cycleracks on, rifle carrying forks, and rigged a second headlight to use with a loaded front rack. It would be nice to carry myself (175) plus about 150+ pounds of critter and gear. Not sure the smaller bikes would do that easily...maybe. I will give it some thought. I used to have a little 50cc bike that was barely able to carry me and my pack and rifle (or bow).

It would be mainly for Sitka blacktails, they arent too big, Once in a while you get a shot at moose or elk on some islands, then there would be multiple loads anyway. Now, I have been just walking, then get the meat to nearest shore, hang it up and put colored flag tape on it, and then go get the boat and move it to retrieve with the dinghy. It gets it done but with a lot of work and time. And too hard to do for just scouting around preseason.

BTW, I have this fantasy of shooting a deer somewhere out of town on the home island, gut it out, and then put it on the seat behind me riding double. Tie his hind hooves to the passenger pegs, and his forelegs together in front of my chest. Come into town and go down main street real slow, maybe a couple laps if necessary. Stop in front of the saloon...arrgh!
Have not done it yet, due to coming home too dark or in the rain, or had to bone it out to get it to the bike,etc. Or, most often, didn't get one.
But someday...

Thanks again for the ideas. I will post if I pursue this, and especially if I get to double home a deer. Do helmet laws apply to nonhuman passengers?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The heck with riding, lets go fishing on your boat! I fished out of Seth's place at Kingfisher Lodge a few years ago. Would love to get up there again.

Here's a few salmon that I caught in Northern Kommiefornia with my dad & my brother, who runs a charter out of Trinidad.

010.PNG 009.PNG 008.PNG

It's not Alaska salmon, and the halibut aren't as large but, I can't wait for season to open!

-JIM

Halibut...You mean these things?

View attachment 14859 View attachment 14858

Not these things then.

View attachment 14860

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice fish! Those are beauties!
Yes I am getting itchy to go kill something. Have been waking up the boat, getting all the winter wraps off. We have company lined up this summer, hope to scratch up a few.
Last year I had a friend come from Fairbanks, sent him home with 150 pounds of king salmon fillets. Then he had me up in the fall to his cabin on the Tanana River and I shot a bull moose second day out. So he is coming again, we gonna see if we can hit replay on that scenario.

Tough work but somebody has to do it.

Maybe we should move this to Off Topic and we can tell fishing & hunting lies, er, stories. I might start a thread for that.
God only knows what Mud Dog will show us!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts