1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Would any of you here be capable of doing nothing if you heard your 22 month old child crying from underneath the capsized boat you were resting on top of?
I would like to think that I would be underwater searching in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
One of the rescues I was I was involved in in the early 70s was on the Colombia river bar. A boat capsized and two men rescued from the water said they couldn't find the woman and child that was with them. The Coast guard crew heard pounding from the boat. A second class petty officer jumped onto the overturned hull with an axe and began furiously chopping into the hull.
A hand came out of the hole waving wildly. Stanley yelled for her to get her hand out of the way so he could chop. As he enlarged the hole, an infant child was shoved through the hole.
Stanley grabbed the child and threw it to another crew member on the coast guard boat. He continued chopping until he got the woman out. We saved all 4 people from the boat.
In the bar that night, Coast Guardsmen were not allowed to buy their own drinks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the rescues I was I was involved in in the early 70s was on the Colombia river bar. A boat capsized and two men rescued from the water said they couldn't find the woman and child that was with them. The Coast guard crew heard pounding from the boat. A second class petty officer jumped onto the overturned hull with an axe and began furiously chopping into the hull.
A hand came out of the hole waving wildly. Stanley yelled for her to get her hand out of the way so he could chop. As he enlarged the hole, an infant child was shoved through the hole.
Stanley grabbed the child and threw it to another crew member on the coast guard boat. He continued chopping until he got the woman out. We saved all 4 people from the boat.
In the bar that night, Coast Guardsmen were not allowed to buy their own drinks.
Great story/wonderful narration, Phelonius!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts