TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Vintage Yamaha GT 80

I came across this on craigslist a little while ago. This is the exact year/model/color as my 1st bike, which I got around age 11 or 12. I almost want to go buy it for sentimental reasons. My son is 9... I beat the crap out of that bike for years. It needed $300+ worth of work and I couldn't afford that so I sold it to my friend.

Super Moderator
Vintage Yamaha GT 80

I came across this on craigslist a little while ago. This is the exact year/model/color as my 1st bike, which I got around age 11 or 12. I almost want to go buy it for sentimental reasons. My son is 9... I beat the crap out of that bike for years. It needed $300+ worth of work and I couldn't afford that so I sold it to my friend.
Given the facts you state, I would go get it and restore it for him. It's nice and low mileage! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Given the facts you state, I would go get it and restore it for him. It's nice and low mileage! :D
I wish I had the time for that kind of thing... :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Nice thing is, the GT80, when new, was a dual sport and came with lights and turn signals. Looks like that was stripped off this one (same as mine).

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Would be fun to put the street running gear back on it and make it road legal. When I first got my GT80 it would go 65 with me on it. I ended up gearing it down for trail riding and it topped out around 55.

Super Moderator
I would agree with you Tommy, but knowing how I was with my first bike I would leave it as is. If he is anything like I was he is going to beat it like a circus monkey.
Ha ha, I understand perfectly. It's just that if your son sees you putting blood, sweat and tears into something that so special and that is going to be his, he may just learn something and have a greater appreciation for it. The bond between dad and son and the lesson learned just by watching dad work so hard is easily worth the price of the bike and the time put into it.

Registered
Ha ha, I understand perfectly. It's just that if your son sees you putting blood, sweat and tears into something that so special and that is going to be his, he may just learn something and have a greater appreciation for it. The bond between dad and son and the lesson learned just by watching dad work so hard is easily worth the price of the bike and the time put into it.
No doubt about that. I started riding with my Dad at 10 years old on his bike. He told me that I could get my own when I could pay for it. I was delivering news papers before school and mopping the floors at the grocery store after school. Soon after he took me to pickup my 1973 candy orange Kawasaki G5-100. It was used but in very good condition. To me it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. Not long after I started stripping all of the lights off, headlight, tail light directionals and replaced them with a set of motocross number plates (#7 for my favorite motocross racer at the time, Jimmy Ellis.). I changed the sprockets to gear it better for the sand, the rear was ridiculously big, like a dinner plate. I took the trials tires off and put knobbies on. My Dad helped me with all of the work but I paid for everything. He thought that I was ruining the bike but helped me anyway. When we were done he could not believe how much better the bike was in the sand, and it looked awesome. With the new sprockets I learned to do very long wheelies but you can imagine what the bike went through in that learning process. I was doing longer and longer jumps and again the bike took quite a few tumbles. On more than a few occasions I would call my Dad at work to stop on the way home from work to get me parts for repairs. There are many great memories of us riding together but many more of us working on that bike.

I would suggest buying the bike as is. Take the lights and anything else that would break or bend easily off. Mark the wires well, store all of the parts in a box and let him ride the heck out of it. When he is a few years older and a good rider, you can do the restoration together. Then you will both truly appreciate the bike.

Registered
No doubt about that. I started riding with my Dad at 10 years old on his bike. He told me that I could get my own when I could pay for it. I was delivering news papers before school and mopping the floors at the grocery store after school. Soon after he took me to pickup my 1973 candy orange Kawasaki G5-100. It was used but in very good condition. To me it was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. Not long after I started stripping all of the lights off, headlight, tail light directionals and replaced them with a set of motocross number plates (#7 for my favorite motocross racer at the time, Jimmy Ellis.). I changed the sprockets to gear it better for the sand, the rear was ridiculously big, like a dinner plate. I took the trials tires off and put knobbies on. My Dad helped me with all of the work but I paid for everything. He thought that I was ruining the bike but helped me anyway. When we were done he could not believe how much better the bike was in the sand, and it looked awesome. With the new sprockets I learned to do very long wheelies but you can imagine what the bike went through in that learning process. I was doing longer and longer jumps and again the bike took quite a few tumbles. On more than a few occasions I would call my Dad at work to stop on the way home from work to get me parts for repairs. There are many great memories of us riding together but many more of us working on that bike.

I would suggest buying the bike as is. Take the lights and anything else that would break or bend easily off. Mark the wires well, store all of the parts in a box and let him ride the heck out of it. When he is a few years older and a good rider, you can do the restoration together. Then you will both truly appreciate the bike.
I also had a G5, mine was yellow and I also stripped it down. Neat little motorcycle. Seemed odd at the time that the carb was under the right engine side cover (rotary valve induction) and if you tipped it over on that side, it would smoke like crazy from the tranny oil that made it into the intake. Lots of memories with that bike, my first "real" motorcycle.

Kawasaki-G5-100-03.jpg

Registered
I had a close cousin to that back in my childhood riding days; the Yamaha 60 Mini Enduro. We stripped it down and flat-tracted it out. Can't remember what kind of engine modications we did to this little 2-stroke other than a custom expansion chamber exhaust pipe. It was quick and light! I'd run it at crazy high RPM's. With flat-tract bars, Carlisle tires and sitting low to the ground it was a pleasure to pitch sideways before a turn, but we had one problem that we could never resolve. Small carbon chunks the size of sand would form in the combustion chamber and every so often a piece would lodge in the sparkplug gap killing the motor. Oh the frustration that would cause while racing. You're out front of the crowd in 1st place screaming that low slung pipey 2-cycle for all it's worth, then pitch it sideways and hit the throttle to keep your speed up through the turn, only to have the engine die in mid-slide. It'd almost high-side you if you weren't careful. And then there is the guy inches behind you in the same full powered slide to contend with. :hororr:

Registered
I'm restoring a 1996 Suzuki DS80 atm, runs but still need some parts, chain/sprockets, 1996_DS80_yellow_720.jpg air filter etc.. Great little bike. I had a Suzuki JR80 few years ago to fart around on and sold it and regreted it so bought this DS80 for $100 to work/fart around on. pic is example not actually my bike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts