TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, while looking bikes as I often do, I came across the Honda XR600R which I first was not attracted to. The exhaust made me think it was a two cylinder and the '600' made me think it was fat. But when I looked further, I found out its actually a single cylinder and weighs less than a TW!!! So naturally, I hit Craigslist. It's looking like I could get one after selling the TW and come out with a little money on top. It looks like the Honda guys think it's reliable, albeit not as much as a TW, but I suppose that's okay. The think that's really selling me though is being able to cruise to trails at altitude and carry me and my fiancee over some of the passes here in CO. I'm at a crossroads and need input! What would y'all do?!

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
My friend has one, so my only info comes from his comments. Lots of power, can be plated to be legal here in Idaho, but needs electrical conversion of sorts for turn signals etc., possible stator??

Tall and his only has a kick start and is hard starting when hot/warm. He added a desert gas tank for extra range cause his doesn't get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
from what i hear over on supermotojunkie they are great bikes...i just have a hard time going too far back with technology...i would be looking at the xr650L/R but in the end it all comes down to money...i doubt they are lighter than the TW though

·
Registered
765 Posts
My dads xl600 has a lot of power but is much heavier than the tw.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just going off the Wikipedia weight of 272lbs dry. I missed the dry part. I guess wet would put it over the TW, but marginally. It still wouldn't crest 300lbs. The big difference is the height. The XR600 has all that weight much higher, requiring more force if you have to lift it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
i think the xr it's something like 295-300 wet...yea the way a bike carries the weight makes a big difference too...tw200 dry 260lbs...my husqvarna sm510r dry 260.1lbs...i find my husky much heavier due to the higher center of gravity

edit: they do look nice done up though...
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4074565306.html

·
Registered
566 Posts
Keep the TW, sell the Trans Am and use that money to get another motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep the TW, sell the Trans Am and use that money to get another motorcycle. :D
Dang, you really think I can get a grand for my T/A?! :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have riden both in the same day on the same trails. The XR600 was heavy and forces you to ride faster up and down steep trails, do to taller gearing. I had more control and sability on TW and could go plenty slow on the steep loose sand and gravel we were riding. the guy I was riding with is now looking for a TW.

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey now, the T/A is in GREAT shape. Just needs an engine :)

I don't know what I'd do for an avatar... Idk... Maaaaybe something TW related :D

Back on track: The gearing was one thing I was worried about. That and not having a cush hub. I hear that eats transmissions. I really like being able to STABLY go along trails at almost walking pace.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you like to do what you do on the TW, keep the TW. The XR600 is a great bike and is every bit as reliable as the TW. Some would say more so. But it's a wholly different experience and serves a whole different purpose.

I cannot even address whether I like the TW, the KLX, the WR, or the Rokon more. It depends what I want to do. When I know that, then I know which one I want to sling a leg over at that moment.

My WR426 has been pretty much converted to an ADV bike. If you want lots of high speed highway miles between some dirt gravel roads, go for the XR. Hard stuff can be ridden with them if you're an advanced rider. Summers comes to mind. But for mere mortals the XR600 can be a hand full in the really technical stuff.

Neither the XR or the TW is better. Just depends on what you want to do and which one is more suited for that particular tack.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I really liked my XR600 especially when I was on fire roads. Not much of a chassis but a great engine. I am now realizing that chronologic age creeps in eventually and the TW is a much easier ride for me now. You just pick your sled to meet the mission it's intended for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is my thought. If it sparks your interest, if you like it, if you got that excited I need to get this feeling when you looked at it, and if it runs good then GET IT. Whether you sell the TW or not who cares. There will be more TW's, there will be more XR's and there will be more bikes. That is for sure. If you keep it running good, chances are you will be able to sell it down the road when the next bike you want comes along and you are in this dilemma all over again. It seems I am in a constant rotation of bikes, boats, 4 wheelers, tractors, and toys every few years.

My theory has always been....It's not the guy who dies with the most toys, its the guy who has gotten to play with the most toys when he dies.

Reactions: Dubzha

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well . . .

To start with, ah...

I uh?

How else you going to have as much fun as with a T-Dub? For me the power and speed of the T-Dub is just right. YMMV

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Back on track: The gearing was one thing I was worried about. That and not having a cush hub. I hear that eats transmissions. I really like being able to STABLY go along trails at almost walking pace.
the easy solution to no having a kush hub...
Kush Sprockets

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I've ridden the XR600 and XR400. Those bikes put out loads of torque really low, at like 1500 RPM. They're a little top heavy but nothing drastic if you know how to use it. I'd probably lean more toward the 400 than the 600 as it still has more than enough power (for off road hill climbs, or highway if you have it plated), but the power delivery seems smoother. That 400 is actually one of my favorite bikes. I wish they hadn't "replaced" it with the CRF450X, as I prefer the XR. You may also consider the DR650 - it's a pig but it's got a lower seat height and tons of torque, a little lower center of gravity than it's direct competitors. Older ones can be had for the price of a TW, but be aware that (if memory serves...) cylinder base gaskets tend to fail on the older models. I believe it's 2005 and up that have the newer style gaskets. Then again the TW shares this same issue and it didn't get new gaskets until, I believe, 2010.

My .02

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Hey now, the T/A is in GREAT shape. Just needs an engine :)

I don't know what I'd do for an avatar... Idk... Maaaaybe something TW related :D

The gearing can be changed fairly easily, so I wouldn't concern yourself overly much about that. Oh and by the way the DR650 has a cush drive ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
The two are not used the same, so it would be hard to compare them. You can't putt around the trails on the XR like you can with the TW. It will get too hot and really isn't geared low enough. The XR is more of a desert racer/ cross country type bike. I would try to own both of them if you can pull it off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I really did get talked out of one. What really pushed me over is the no foot pegs. And an 'L' is just too heavy for someone of my experience to do and do well. It has to be able to take me and my fiancee on trails (still, just the easy ones) and the TW does it. I just hate having to tug the TW to trailheads over long distances. Especially in her SS. It's pretty quick though :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts