TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Classic beauts, always liked the lines - I had a similar one for a couple years, many moons ago (mid 80s). A 250 that looked just like that, orangish yellow. That puppy was why I never was interested in 2 strokes after...smoky and often difficult to start among other issues, got it super cheap tho.
But was fun to ride

·
Registered
463 Posts
My very first bike was a 1970 DT1 250 basically the same as the Gold one in the picture. I bought it with the engine in a box as it had a shifting problem that I fixed and ran that bike for 2 years. Although it was rough and did not have much suspension it was an unstoppable tank as far as torque went! That bike would always manage to simply chug up any hill i could find. I have always regretted selling it but for the last 25 years I have a similar bike but a 360 that I hope to one day get back on the road.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had the gold one when in high school. Me and some buddies had enduro bikes and were the coolest kids in school. I put a buddy seat and pegs on mine, would ride up to ANY girl and tell 'em to get on and they did! Ha! I'd wheelie that thing riding two-up like that when taking off at stop lights. I'd buy them if they where near me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys aren't helping. Don't you think I'd spend more time fixin and trying to find parts than riding ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 73 RT360 was probably the most fun and versatile bike I ever had, although it had a BRUTAL kick back if you didn’t put your leg in it.
Your probably right oldman, a lot of work....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Those are beautiful and look like easy fix's. Thank goodness they are so far away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Close to 50 years old. I am thinking minimum all new rubber everything, including engine seals, maybe new crank bearings, tear clutches apart and see what is what, may or may not need fuel tanks to be PVR ed or what ever you guys use, and any cables that need replacement or freed up, clean up the old magneto ignition system, plus probably scrapping the old oil injection system on the bike that has it still - I cant imagine it being reliable at this point. Is there any downside to just scrapping the VR oilers and premixing your gasoline ?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Or, they can be perfect (ish). Brought plenty of older bikes back to life. Very rarely do I have to open up an engine for anything. As to tanks? With all the bikes here, there is only 1 that had sealer. I removed the sealer, de rusted the tank, and it is fine now.

Sure, you can do a bunch of stuff because you WANT to do it. I'd rather see what it actually needs. Have to be somewhat frugal with all the stuff to take care of around here.

Close to 50 years old. I am thinking minimum all new rubber everything, including engine seals, maybe new crank bearings, tear clutches apart and see what is what, may or may not need fuel tanks to be PVR ed or what ever you guys use, and any cables that need replacement or freed up, clean up the old magneto ignition system, plus probably scrapping the old oil injection system on the bike that has it still - I cant imagine it being reliable at this point. Is there any downside to just scrapping the VR oilers and premixing your gasoline ?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i have a 1973 honda ct90 and it seems like after each ride there is something to fix or adjust. i enjoy this to a point but she's up for sale now. after a while it feels like flogging a dead animal

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you're cool with potentially spending more time wrenching than riding, I think that would be a great choice. I am the opposite at this stage, so I decided to buy something a bit newer. TWs are going to be easier and more reliable for certain. Those are cool though, so go for it if it quenches your thirst so to speak.

·
Registered
562 Posts
why would I talk you out of it when God led you to that listing to find that incredible deal?I'm not going to Hell on your account to talk you out of doing something God wants
You could buy one for 800 and spend 800 just to get the bike equal to one of those as they sit.
Those bikes are basically the 2 stroke equivalent of the TW as far as performance. I have to think it's lighter and a little quicker.
And you are doing your family a favor. It's 1600 they won't have to fight over when you are dead

1 - 20 of 27 Posts