TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any particular reason to NOT rethread a valve adjuster screw hole and screw if the screw turns rough? Any issue with either rethreading with a bottom tap or a thread chaser?

Thx

JG

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Just pull the threaded piece out and use it to match to your die before running it through the piece.
Oh, and check to make certain that the male threads are not damaged either.
It sounds as if someone has tightened the lock nut too tightly on your machine.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Is there any particular reason to NOT rethread a valve adjuster screw hole and screw if the screw turns rough? Any issue with either rethreading with a bottom tap or a thread chaser?
No problem at all. I have done it with good results.

Just make sure the threads on the bolt match the threads on the tap perfectly and gently turn the tap making sure it isn't cross threaded.

Valve cover bolt:
PC130032.JPG
PC130031 (2).JPG

Go to Sears or Ace and buy a quality tap. Cheap taps are nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THX.

It an M6 x 0.75. Sears near me didn't have. My Harbor Freight kit does, but the threads of the tap are messed up - little burrs in the edges. I'm not going to bother with the cheap stuff anymore.

McMasters has a set of three for $30+, other online sources are around $10. Graingers has a nice one for the aerospace industry - $75!!! I guess thats why military ashtrays cost $400 - the mil-industrial complex over charges! (1)

THX for the help.

JG

(1) actually there is a real reason. Best definition I've heard was here -

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I don't see any reason not to chase it out. I would check the adjuster screw too and make sure that isn't bunged up. I live not to far from you and i may have the proper tap at home. I can take a peek after i get home. Im in Kansas City right now and i fly home tonight, i can check tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts