TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So ive gotten a new to me 700 mile tw200, 2002. Ive got a ticking/tapping at idle only when warm, checked valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner, no metal in the oil, correct oil filter, oil coming from the check plugs. Its a sort of intermittant tick tick tick, then a few cycles of no ticking, then tick tick tick. ive found some similar posts, some saying its normal, some saying its not, but no solutions. Cant post links to posts right now due to post count but if the mods agree to it ill post and break up the url's.
heard many tw's with a lot more miles than mine not making this noise, so anyone who has had it and found a cause, some help would be appreciated! thanks

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Go ahead and try to post pics. It may work. It is kind of normal for them to be a little rattly. You may try adjusting the air/fuel mixture out to 2 or 2 1/2 turns, that should help. They come very lean from the factory and run better when you do this.
So ive gotten a new to me 700 mile tw200, 2002. Ive got a ticking/tapping at idle only when warm, checked valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner, no metal in the oil, correct oil filter, oil coming from the check plugs. Its a sort of intermittant tick tick tick, then a few cycles of no ticking, then tick tick tick. ive found some similar posts, some saying its normal, some saying its not, but no solutions. Cant post links to posts right now due to post count but if the mods agree to it ill post and break up the url's.
heard many tw's with a lot more miles than mine not making this noise, so anyone who has had it and found a cause, some help would be appreciated! thanks

Registered
Welcome to TW200 ownership. I'm going to assume you've got the same noise that I did/do. Start it cold, let it warm up, then all of a sudden a new noise comes in like you flipped a switch...sounds way louder and 'sharper' than normal valve tick, and it's not consistent on each cycle..will do it a couple times, then not, then 4-5 times, then nothing for a few cycles.... Almost sounds like detonation..like a 'sharp' noise.
I adjusted my valves a bunch of times, can't get rid of it. Drove me nuts until I really did some digging. I ended up finding quite a few people that have it, but also a lot that don't.
I personally thing it's the exhaust valve, and the lower you adjust your idle, the worse it gets. If you can endure the idle speed being set to what 'feels' too high, it'll go away completely. Also, stopping in traffic on a HOT day, it seems to be worse.
That's what makes me think it has to do with the low oil pressure these things have going to the top end. Also, when I change my oil, I unscrew the check plug until it's loose and wait for the flood of oil....and wait...and wait....then finally it drools out, but not 1/10 of what I'd expect. Some folks say that's the way theirs acts, others seem to feel that there's a lot of oil at their check plug.
I saw one person put an oil pressure warning light on their TW and they said at highway speed it didn;t have enough pressure at the plug to even trip the 3 psi switch.

Mine (2015)had around 2500km on it when I bought it from a little old man. It was spotless and maintained (dealer) as recommended, so I have no reason to think it was abused or anything. I drove myself nuts, then finally gave up and accepted that they're noisy little engines and if there's clean oil and the right filter, just drive the damn thing. I put over 4000kms on my in the year I've owned it and the noise isn't any better or worse.

My thread went 6-pages long and people talked about their noises but if memory serves, nobody actually said, "YES, that's the exact same thing mine does..."

This video is the best example I've found, and this Yamaha tech at a small dealer had a customer bring TWO in for their first valve adjustment, and after he did the work, they BOTH have the noise. Thing is, maybe they had it before, but he wouldn't know unless he started them, let them warm up completely and listened before he did any work. Since the valve adjustment has to be done cold, I'd think he likely made a point NOT to start them before he did any work. Now after the service, the noise is there. I actually contacted the dealer via FaceBook and they checked with the tech to see how it turned out. He checked and doublechecked the valve adjustment, and gave them back to the customer. He never heard anything back, so the feeling is that they did that from day one. Small dealer, not likely that a LOT of TWs go through their doors....

The 2nd TW starts doing it at the 5:55 mark. I had asked on here, if the ignition timing or something changes as the engine warms up because mine chugs along until a certain specific time, then the idle drops a bit and there's the noise. The answers I got said no, it didn't. And there are guys on here that know stuff like that. I just noticed that just before the TW above starts it, the idle also drops. There's SOMETHING that happens at that magical point that causes that noise to start and the idle speed to change (a lot).

And when I said, 'Welcome to TW200 ownership.", that didn't imply it's a bad thing. I had an awesome run on mine yesterday and kept telling myself that there were very few bikes that could navigate the variety of conditions that I rode yesterday, and do it without causing a noob like me to crash. Feet down, paddling through waterholes up past my knees, washed out gravel trails, miles of rocky trails, dirt roads, back roads, and then some highway to get home.
The valves tick, the clutch is funky, the forks clunk, the footpegs aren't even.....they're not going to go down in history as the absolutely best bike for this or that specific purpose, but man can they do just about everything pretty darned good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Well the fact that no damage seems to come from it is encouraging! Do you notice any metal in the screen/filter on your oil changes? I'm wondering if there is a loss of oil pressure somewhere or maybe if replacing the oil pump would help. Most of these stories seem to end with people saying well I'll just live with it but I nevery get to hear if it ended up causing issues. Listening to "tdubskid"'s idling on YouTube after a lot of miles and his bike doesn't make the sound at all. So it keeps leading me to think SOMETHING has gotta be off.

Super Moderator
Probably just a miscreant valve 鈥揷ould be that sometimes the cam will get enough oil to take up the slack 鈥 sometimes it won鈥檛 鈥 these bikes aren鈥檛 the greatest for oil flow at idle

At 700 miles, it鈥檚 unlikely to be worn or misshapen, and you could go in after it every day for a week 鈥 but if you did get it to stop, then you鈥檇 be worried about whether you鈥檇 over-tightened something

Yamahas build tolerance on these bikes is nothing to write home about, and that鈥檚 what makes them so tough 鈥 and for this reason, they tend to 鈥渂arf鈥 up a bit of metal into the filter at first. This should settle down at around 1000 to 1200 miles, and it鈥檒l be clean after that.

If you do get to replacing the oil pump 鈥 can I have it please (because there will be nothing wrong with it)

Ride the bike first and get to know the noises it makes 鈥 they鈥檙e all different in some way or another 鈥 and don鈥檛 panic when you get it up to speed and 鈥渙n song鈥 鈥 if it doesn鈥檛 sound like 鈥渄eath metal鈥 then you鈥檙e not doing it right

My point is, that at 700 miles, the bike is unlikely to have settled down yet 鈥 once it has settled down (1500), you can start experimenting with valve clearances and see if that improves it

(Welcome to the madhouse) 鈥︹.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I definitely had the normal break in metal when I did it's FIRST oil change when I got it at 710 miles. But now being up around 830 miles it's ticking and no metal in the oil, just wondering if people with the same noise had seen any accelerated wear after putting some miles on their bikes. I guess stacked tolerances can lead to all the bikes having their own set of noises and personalities. Thanks for sharing your experience guys! Guess I'll just let it be and report back if there are any issues, thanks!

Registered
So is that the noise you're talking about? (What I'm describing, and the noise in the video)
I've never had any growlies in the filter. A few small flakes but nothing out of the ordinary. And I've adjusted valves before....so I'm no stranger to it... And I've tried going at the center of the spec, and also at the top and bottom. Honestly, it seems a bit better if they're at the tight end. But the small amount it improves, it would take setting them way too tight to get rid of it.

If it wasn't getting enough oil to the top end, it wouldn't have gone 6000kms. But again...like you hear in the video the second the noise starts, SOMETHING changes...the idle speed drops and the noise starts immediately.

If you can get rid of it, more power to you... Mine hasn't changed at all in the 4000kms I put on it, so I'm at the point where I hear it but stopped caring. If a noise is normal, I'm fine with the noise. I was just worried that something was wrong and I'd rather be proactive and fix something small than ignore it and end up with a big problem. It took me a while but I'm finally at the point where I subscribe to the 'Just ride it.' ideology.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
For sure sounds just like the second tw in the video, little inconsistant tick, which goes away as soon as you give it some throttle, good to hear you've had no noticable wear or metal showing from it. Coming from working at a dealer, i really do want to search out the solutions to these things and try to fix them, but sounds like I've got nothing to worry about.

Registered
I think the TWs in the video were set to the center or the loose end of the spec because his is more consistent than mine (and yours, from the sounds of it). His starts inconsistent and then gets pretty regular after it warms up a bit more. Mine's set at the tight end and stays inconsistent after it's fully warm. It's tempting to set them a shade tighter than spec, then if it's gone I'll know for sure it's valve clearance...but then you're risking burning valve or seat....so...
According to the work orders that came with mine, the dealer used 20w50 Yamalube each service. Not sure why, we don't live in an area that would be called a hot climate. Just because I'm me, I changed it as soon as I got it so I can't say if it would have been quiet with 20w50.....I'm using 10w40 Lucas semi-synthetic.

Registered
Just picked up a TW in the fall. I had it in for service last week with just over 1000km on it for oil change valve adjustment and carb tuning [it was running really lean]. When I got it back it started this exact same sound. Is there any answers yet? I think I might take it back to the dealer for another look.

Registered
A lesson to be learned here is if one notes or records relevant baseline specs on their bike before turning it over to a mechanic then one can refer back to the original status. For example had valve lash been measured in a relatively acceptable quite engine before engine became noisy then comparisons and corrections could be made.
It is relatively easy to measure valve lash, and only marginally more difficult to then adjust if necessary.
If owners like farming out maintenance then inspecting and understanding the bike still remains important in order to have productive interactions with dealerships and/or motorcycle mechanics. The more you know...

Registered
I did check the valve lash at about 800km before a big run my brother and I did and adjusted accordingly into spec. Exhaust valve was set to 0.005 [when checked before adjustment it was.002] intake valve was in spec. I ran an additional 200km before sending the bike into dealer for a lean condition I discovered when inspecting the spark plug. I was informed by the dealer when I was in looking for jets that any adjustments to the carb would void any warenty so I left it to them. They offered the service on my bike and since it was in there I decided to have them do it. I have lots of experience working on my own bikes and cars and even more working on customers. I have done lots of valve adjustments even a few on aircraft. I鈥檝e even discussed the ticking issue with several very knowledgeable mechanics and we were all puzzled by the inconsistency of the sound.
Now you know the rest of the story.

Registered
The question was has any one found out the source of the issue the rest was Irrelevant it appears it doesn鈥檛 mater who touches the bike, the noise appears on its own and goes unanswered. I am very concerned that damage was caused to the engine based on how white the spark plug was and how lean the bike was running. I also suspected that the exhaust valve wouldn鈥檛 have fully closed with such little clearances under normal operating tempetures. I didn鈥檛 expect to see these things on a new bike. All of these concerns I brought up with the dealer.

Registered
Even new, TWs (and many other air-cooled singles) have relatively noisy valves. I believe my 89 had @ 4,500 miles when I did this before and after valve adjustment video. The older TWs have manual camchain adjusters, so this video also includes that adjustment.

Registered

I am completely new to this video uploading thing so I hope this works here is the ticking that has caught me off guard I have double checked valve clearances brought exhaust valve to 0.004 of an inch checked oil levels checked the galley screw adjusted the idle screw to 1520rpm and filled her with fresh gas. No change so far. It鈥檚 going into the dealer tomorrow for another look.

Registered
so im getting the same tick as your video. do you think maybe something to do with the drive shaft that connects the small sprocket to the engine? also i bought a 2003 with 900 miles on it. no service till me. ran some sea foam threw it due to it being sluggish then when i bought it. since then the ticking started. Adjusted valves today. still the tick runs way better tho.

Registered
FWIW...my first TW (2001) was quiet as a sewing machine when I'd first start her up.
If she was good and hot...from trail riding or whatever...and I would stop for a beverage or to take some pics, I would shut her down. A few minutes later, when I re-started her, she would be normal, but then after about 15 seconds would make a hellish racket of taps and ticks that would last from 5 to 20 seconds and then stop.
At first, this scared the bejeebers out of me, but most participants here would reassure me that it was somewhat normal and that these were "noisy" engines ("A sack of spanners" I recall someone saying...) and eventually I got used to it.
It never got louder...it never changed...and it was as predictable as the sunrise. I learned to expect it and live with it.
I sold that TW with over 45000 km (yes...forty five thousand) on it and it is still running today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts