TW200 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am completely new to this video uploading thing so I hope this works here is the ticking that has caught me off guard I have double checked valve clearances brought exhaust valve to 0.004 of an inch checked oil levels checked the galley screw adjusted the idle screw to 1520rpm and filled her with fresh gas. No change so far. It’s going into the dealer tomorrow for another look.
Did you ever find out from the dealer? My 2018 bought brand new with now almost 1k miles has done the noise since day 1. My warranty runs out next month, trying to decide if it's something they can actually fix.

I've done all maintainance, tightened valves to spec, oil changes, the works, but no real change for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Probably just a miscreant valve –could be that sometimes the cam will get enough oil to take up the slack – sometimes it won’t – these bikes aren’t the greatest for oil flow at idle

At 700 miles, it’s unlikely to be worn or misshapen, and you could go in after it every day for a week – but if you did get it to stop, then you’d be worried about whether you’d over-tightened something

Yamahas build tolerance on these bikes is nothing to write home about, and that’s what makes them so tough – and for this reason, they tend to “barf” up a bit of metal into the filter at first. This should settle down at around 1000 to 1200 miles, and it’ll be clean after that.

If you do get to replacing the oil pump – can I have it please (because there will be nothing wrong with it)

Ride the bike first and get to know the noises it makes – they’re all different in some way or another – and don’t panic when you get it up to speed and “on song” – if it doesn’t sound like “death metal” then you’re not doing it right

My point is, that at 700 miles, the bike is unlikely to have settled down yet – once it has settled down (1500), you can start experimenting with valve clearances and see if that improves it

(Welcome to the madhouse) …….
:unsure: totally agree or if you had the money and time and expertise, you could have the motor “ blue printed “ like the race teams do with competition engines ;) but I would assume that the tolerances would be within spec than not within , only way would be a total strip and measure job, not cost effective really ??? ? I understand your frustration and concerns as you just want to know what it is , but as other members have already said, it’s a little work hoarse of a engine , old school eng technology and air cooled so will be noisy , and like any mass produced product you get good ones and bad ones , depends on what day it was made and assembled , it’s a lucky dip scenario unfortunately , I’m sorry I can’t tell you exactly what it is

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mine has had all the maintenance, oil changes, valve checks etc. and it has a tick that comes and goes as well as a rattling washer during high RPMs at the top of the monoshock. None of which are ideal yet in my case nothing to worry about. As long as you do your bike chores, and unless it's the louder and/or more persistent ones I wouldn't worry too much about it. I worried myself but after doing valve checks myself and hearing for myself that it's the valves I don't worry so much. It was noisy from day one and I just learned to ignore it till I was better informed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine also sounds a bit rougher after I replaced the intake valve, when cold she's as sweet as honey, after she warms up, about 10 miles on road she starts to sound quite noisy. I haven't reset the valves after the initial setting, but the timing chain is also a bit worn and that could also contribute to the noise.
I run Caltex 15w40 in my bike, and mabe should change to 20w50 as our minimum temp is about 10 Celc.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts