TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a member for a while but first post.
I am planning to ride the TAT, or some form of it, across the US on my TW200 summer of 2020. Lots of time to plan.
I've got my 2012 TW, cycleracks, panniers, wide foot pegs, raised bars, bigger front sprocket.
Plan is to fish, camp, drink and go to events as we go.
Planned speed is 30-35 mph. Yup slow and smell the roses. It's like bicycle turing but you don't have to peddle. May even spend multiple days in nice places.
I have 6 people from Cali who say they are coming with me. Three are family members so I know I got 4 for sure.
Open to suggestions or more riders who want to really go slow across these great states of ours.
Also I know this is an old subject so please don't hammer too badly, but.. what other tank can fit reasonably well other than the clark xt225 tank? I want at least 4 gallons. Used is perfectly fine.
Thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Somebody put the 4.1 gallon Clarke Racing tank for the XT225 on...saw it on the Tw thread on adv rider forum a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, great write-up and I know the xt225 tank will work. I am looking for a cheaper option like possibly a yz465 5 gallon tank or ? that a member knows will work.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The XT350 tank works great. Find a steel one if possible - otherwise buy a Clarke tank. There is minor work involved to get it attached, and some seat modification is required, but the end result is well worth the effort.

Also, do update your seat with a Seat-Concepts cover. It's amazing how much difference the width makes on long-distance rides.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The XT350 tank works great. Find a steel one if possible - otherwise buy a Clarke tank. There is minor work involved to get it attached, and some seat modification is required, but the end result is well worth the effort.

Also, do update your seat with a Seat-Concepts cover. It's amazing how much difference the width makes on long-distance rides.
Thanks for the tank tip.
Seat-Concepts cover definitely on the list.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am planning to ride the TAT, or some form of it, across the US on my TW200 summer of 2020. Lots of time to plan.
I've got my 2012 TW, cycleracks, panniers, wide foot pegs, raised bars, bigger front sprocket.
Planned speed is 30-35 mph. Yup slow and smell the roses. It's like bicycle turing but you don't have to peddle. May even spend multiple days in nice places.
I have 6 people from Cali who say they are coming with me. Three are family members so I know I got 4 for sure.
Open to suggestions or more riders who want to really go slow across these great states of ours.
Also I know this is an old subject so please don't hammer too badly, but.. what other tank can fit reasonably well other than the clark xt225 tank? I want at least 4 gallons. Used is perfectly fine.
Thanks.

John
Sounds like a huge undertaking, but once in a lifetime adventure. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
I bought this 4 gallon-ish Clarke tank used and it came with a whole 'nother TW wrapped around it. blue gizmo.jpg

The XT tank is a fairly clean install and the added weight when full is less noticeable than I had anticipated. It is known to work with install threads here. A YZ or other tank may bring unknown complications.
I would suggest that the tank be mounted as far back, and as tipped as possible at the expense of the seat. Goal is to avoid conflict with bars. The already raised bars sure will help. ROX rotating risers can also free up additional clearance and ease muscles after a long day in the saddle.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
sounds like the perfect trip I always admired the travel stories of Neil Peart the drummer for the Canadian Power Trio RUSH who always rides his GS between shows (around the world) and his riding buddy always chooses routes off the interstate including dirt roads which I think is a little crazy on GS but he can afford to buy new bikes whenever he wants!

When has has extra time between shows he stops at the little mom and pop gas stations and the little out of the way motels.

I totally urge you guys and gals to go to Neil's website and click on his "Far and Wide" movie trailer you will love it (in the center of the main page there are scrolling options) he also has numerous excellent books of his travels including a 55,000 mile North American trip after his daughter died in a car crash and his wife a year later of cancer it is an amazing story of healing thanks to a motorcycle and the open road

Welcome to the official website of Neil Peart

It's also my favorite Rock band of all time but this guy is the real deal motorcycle guy rivaling the best on our forum I only wish I could live the dream like Neil

RE tanks I prefer the XT350 OEm steel tank you can find them for around $150 rust free with a few dings if you keep looking. Clarke makes a 4.1 gallon XT350 plastic tank you might prefer over the TW tank but I honestly don't recall anybody using one on a TW

The range of a TW at the conservative travel speeds you mention is surprising and you may not need a monster primary tank perhaps an extra 2 gallon RotoPak etc may do the trick that way when you don't need the extra weight you can leave it almost empty

PS Leisure Time Larry is correct I think the Clarke XT225 tank was a little more capacity than the XT350 Clarke tank but either would work

daring_escape.jpg

270 Posts
Thanks.

John
I had to Google TAT acronym. Now I know, Trans American Trail! This sounds like an incredible experience. I would looove to be part of this! My mind is going crazy right now thinking about all the scenarios and planning and gear that must be involved! I'm going to start watching videos as to get an idea of the terrain and see if it's something I feel I can handle. I'm going to search for some sort of list that highlights some the must have items. I live in Corona. Where would such an excursion even begin...meaning where is the nearest entry point to the TAT?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was just talking about this with my wife a couple of weeks ago! Based on my reading most people start on the east coast (Pennsylvania I think) and travel west (California or Oregon). Many people are itching to leave after a winter of planning and go too early--supposedly the first or second week in September is the best time.

Sticking to the 200ish mile a day plan the creator planned you end up with 4 weeks or so on the trail. They also said you need $3-5k for gas, food, campground or hotels, etc depending on how spendy you want to get.

The idea of the trip has been the inspiration behind one of the TWs that I just bought. I want to add a disk brake (for handling luggage weight), 2-3 inch swingarm stretch with a Duro, Rotopax mounts on my panniers (the 2 gallon fit perfectly, I'm thinking one for gas and one for water), and a dry bag on the back with a good size tank bag. I have the pieces for a 250cc 6 speed that probably wouldn't hurt.

By the way I got two of my bikes from LuvNot, and the Clark XT350 tank does fit really well. Here is a pic of the bike and another pic after I replaced the cyclerack with the much improved version. The seat is currently being modified to fit the tank w/ tank bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the late return post, but I have been in AZ on a ranch for a lot of the summer.
Please feel free to join us, Corona guy and wife, if you want. Would love to have you come along.
I am figuring on 100 miles a day maybe more through the central states, but it's like a bicycle tour but no peddling necessary. Well maybe in the Rockies on steep hill climbs.
I have started to entertain a route through northern New York to Wisconsin and head west from there. Possibly even to above the great lakes. That would mean finding a new TAT route.
I have many cousins up in the Upper Peninsula and they assure me that there are plenty of dirt roads and trails we could use.
Lots of time to plan gentlemen and ladies. Summer 2020.
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I am leaning toward the Clarke xt350 tank. I will be bringing along the stock front sprocket if the trails get to steep through the Rockies.
My neighbor just gave me his stock rear tire from his KTM 350xcw. The price was right! Going to mount it on my TW when I hit the trails to see how it handles. Don't know when that is but will post after.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have ridden the TAT:
Once from Jupiter Fl to western AR and back, 4k miles on a KTM 690.
Fly and ride, rented DR650 in Denver, slab to NM and did the TAT NM, CO and UT portions to Moab and then back to Denver, 2k miles.
Last year from my doorstep in Jupiter Fl all the way to Port Orford OR, just over 5k miles skipping some eastern sections I did before on my Rally Raid CB500x.
Some advice, 100 miles a day means you will be on the road for over 7 weeks!
Sam's TAT route is designed to hit the best of the west, the passes in CO, high desert through UT, NV and ID. It is plug and play. Taking a different route would involve reinventing the wheel, hundreds of hours of researching off road routes that may or may not work. As far as I know no one has actually done all or most of the TAT on a TW. If you have the time to stick to the TAT the TW is a great choice for all the offload sections. I am seriously considering doing it or portions again on the TW as there were times out west I wished I had a smaller bike out in the middle of nowhere by myself. I could care less about doing OK again though! Good luck on your decision and planning. If I can be of any help please let me know.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just added an clarke XT tank. Super easy as I followed those who went before me. Had 2 hours total into the project after all parts were on hand. Search "Clarke tank install" and Guitarman had an awesome thread I followed. U posted my own pics too. If you need a place to crash in Idaho while on the TAT, look me up. I am in Boise. Sounds like an awesome adventure!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Would be nice to add a TENT SPACE sticky for us TW riders. Would be a great way to meet and greet fellow TW folks doing a cross state or country ride. My place is always welcome for anyone on a ride. I am sure others across our nation would be open to this if they have the room and could post where they are so we could send a note. I have hosted several folks on adventure bikes, one lady coming from Alaska headed south a couple weeks ago. Would make long trips a bit cheaper and enjoyable.

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
...plus you'll likely get offered showers, maintenance help and some local wisdom. Most hosts will toss in a roof over your head, a home cooked meal or two all in exchange for a few stories of your adventures to date.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Several years ago a friend and me road 130 miles on the TAT in Arkansas on KLR 650. It was a great trip and even saw some wild hogs. Most of the trails can be handled pretty easy but once in awhile we came across some really rocky areas and steep hills. It can be a hand full on a KLR loaded. Are you planning on getting the rolodex with the grid coordinates? Comes in handy as far as keeping on course. Some ares you loose GPS connection.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts