TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've always been interested in having this pistol as a side arm for hiking, biking, exploring, running, riding, etc. Anyone own one? I know it's sort of a novelty pistol, yet I can't shake the idea that it would be awesome for unruly beasts, such as rattlesnakes.

For those who are unfamiliar - it shoots both .410 shotgun shells and .45 long colt.

If you're an owner - tell me your thoughts please.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had a judge, house was broken into alarm finally went off and that was all they made off with. Replaced with the Smith & Wesson Govenor. S&W is a little more expensive but, much higher in quality + 6 shot vs 5. I believe this to be about the perfect personal defense weapon & pretty fun to boot!

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Always like the look of the Judge, and thought it could be a nice piece....but my .38 snub nose Taurus/5 shot is more practical for Conceal and Carry....and quick action when needed. Taurus_38.jpg

Reactions: Gulfrider and Yamak

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Had a judge, house was broken into alarm finally went off and that was all they made off with. Replaced with the Smith & Wesson Govenor. S&W is a little more expensive but, much higher in quality + 6 shot vs 5. I believe this to be about the perfect personal defense weapon & pretty fun to boot!
I'd like to have one someday, I agree, the smith is nicer overall for not much more $$.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you must have a 410, then the Governor is the way to go. But the question I would ask you, is what is it that you want/need it for. Fun? Then they are good for fun. I don't own one but have shot it. But, if you are looking for self defense, or critter control, or even two legged critter control, then there are many better options in my opinion. I might add, that you can get shot shells in many different calibers. Right now they are a bit hard to find, but they are out there. CCI .45 ACP shot out of a 1911 is a hoot!

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned a Judge Public Defender for a couple of years. Considering I also own higher quality Colts, Smiths etc. the defender is a good value for the cost. I doubt that anyone will shoot one enough to where quality is an issue. The loud report and huge ball of fire out of the shorter barrel is pretty impressive in 410 mode and I wouldn't expect to hit much at any distance, but it wasn't made for that anyway. I also like mine as a home defense, auto and trail weapon. The novelty of being able to shoot 410 is what makes it fun!

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
What is the link at the bottom? I clicked on it and it took me to my email account?

Out of my 60 plus handguns this one is one of my go to for conceal carry it will also take +p and the holster is kick ass. it is on sale at gallery of guns put in your zip code to get the best deal, I have purchased over 30 guns this way. very light no recoil and no hammer.

www.galleryofguns.com - Gun Genie - Davidson's most popular and powerful search engine to find and buy guns at galleryofguns.com

https://bay181.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=64855&rru=inbox#tid=cmBc9UzDUC5BGVUSxZ5UbuNA2&fid=flksFYH3lQG0uCZBmZyQwbyA2

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Reactions: littletommy

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Littletommy Here is my Ruger LCR USA and Arizona Made 38.spl in the holster and out of the holster with my man stopper rounds. 10528073_10203178072884741_757249229_n.jpg 10533531_10203178074604784_1453881204_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Interesting holster with the trigger guard. Shotgun loads?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Its a neat gun and with a good 45 long colt hollow point its a good defense gun. The 410 isnt that great of a defense load except for maybe the winchester pdx or 000 buck shot. Its to big for what I would want but its a cool gun. Here is a great video on terminaal ballistics. Actually there is three great videos on this page and im sure most will learn something new. Terminal Ballistics - Part 2 | Down Range TV they do some testing with the judge and some common pistol catridges then 223, 308 and the ol bad girl the 12ga. Check it out and maybe learn something between the 3 videos

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I remember shooting those shotgun loads in a 22 years ago, fun. Didn't know they had them in larger calibers.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Still find it interesting that some think a .38 doesn't measure up as a self defense weapon....carried a S&W .38 Police Special my 4 year tour, including my Vietnam Vacation....and while they won't stop a Bull Elephant, they will stop a Bull Dyke :rolleyes:with plenty of firepower.....and they are much easier to handle, especially if you have mid to small hands, than the bigger weapons:

Air Force .38 Police Special.jpg

The Air Force Police Special from my days in the AF {1968-72}

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Still find it interesting that some think a .38 doesn't measure up as a self defense weapon....carried a S&W .38 Police Special my 4 year tour, including my Vietnam Vacation....and while they won't stop a Bull Elephant, they will stop a Bull Dyke :rolleyes:with plenty of firepower.....and they are much easier to handle, especially if you have mid to small hands, than the bigger weapons:

View attachment 7804

The Air Force Police Special from my days in the AF {1968-72}
it is a .357 magnum short and a plus P is close to a .357 and then you can get a ton of defense rounds. I love mine it is better then a sharp stick in the eye!

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I remember shooting those shotgun loads in a 22 years ago, fun. Didn't know they had them in larger calibers.
they call them defense rounds now!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies. Mostly, I'd use it for trail running / hiking / exploring on foot. Low precip and high heat this year is perfect for those rattlesnakes and that there is my primary motive for wanting this pistol.

Thanks for mentioning the S&W Governor. I like that gun much better!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts