TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on the lookout for one of these forever it seems like. I know about the ownership change, but goodness I'm not sure they're coming back. I really am just here to be bummed out about it I guess. I need one of these in my life. If it scores me one of these sweet things I will gladly trade a rack and some cash for one. Uhg.....

Reactions: BkCntryCrwlr

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can vouch for the Ricochet Skid plate construction. It's really rigid aluminum plate. Thick, about 3/16".

Reactions: BkCntryCrwlr

·
Registered
160 Posts
The TCI's are super nice, a touch heavy, but very stout, and you do not have cut any clips or do any trimming for them to fit. The only real downfall to them is you cannot run an oil cooler if you decide to do so with their design. Living in PA, that was really a non-issue for me thought. I had a TW with a TCI skidplate on it, and I sold it with the skidplate.....kick myself for selling that skidplate weekly. It seems when they do come up for sale, people know what they have and want a premium for them. Heck if I found a used one, I would probably pay retail or a touch more for it if it was in good shape.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
VG since you are a good frabricator an add on for the common ricochet skid plate would sell. A small engine guard cage for each side and maybe we have to drill one hole in the plate each side and it mounts to another bike bolt. You could design it to clear the oil cooler adapter. I don't weld or I would make some for my plates. I was thinking about making an aluminum guard made from some angle that bolts together but my design it just seemed too ghetto. If the TCI were available I would have bought them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man I need an ac welder so bad with a spool gun. If I could weld aluminum I'd be making all sorts of shit. I have an oil cooler and was planning to modify the Tci to work.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Have you gone through all the Lizrdbrth and Meekdad posts? I thought they set it up so it would fit (but be tight) on the TCI skidplate.
+1
i'm pretty sure i saw pics of PPE's bike with a cooler under the TCI skid.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could be right. Been a while since I read all the posts. I figured I'd make it work regardless. None of that matters if I can't get one though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My bad, for some reason I thought originally when I bought the TCI skidplate I could not run an oil cooler with it. If I can, I might have to start considering one.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Lizrdbrth loved the TCI skid plate and swore by its effectiveness so I'm sure he had them in mind with his design and I'm sure PPEs TW would have had an oil cooler and I know she had the TCI
Funny I don't think TCI sold many plates we all liked them but they were out of the average TW owners price point including mine but I've considered offering a $500 bounty for an NOS one but that would be crazy lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
VG the engine guards are 1/2" mild steel tubing. You can do this.;)

For our Ricochet plates. tw200-tci-skid-plate_274x274.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
those side panels are more elaborate than one would think. I dont have a way to do bends that tightly. Im sure eventually I could figure it out. Ill be getting a skid plate before too long one way or another.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
those side panels are more elaborate than one would think. I dont have a way to do bends that tightly. Im sure eventually I could figure it out. Ill be getting a skid plate before too long one way or another.
I'm sure VG or somebody could make them but they are almost as much labor each side as a rack would be. There are some areas namely the expanded metal that could be improved upon IMO

Good to know there is some interest

There are a few other forum members good with this kind of fab maybe they can design something to work in conjunction with a Ricochet / MSR skid plate or even a whole new design like Toyanvil or TWAdventure have made using mild steel tubing

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I witnessed anvils fab work. pretty nice looking work. I envy some of the tube work skill. I have broached the surface with the tube work. I really want to learn more and spent all afternoon at welding shops looking at new welders. (HINT) Square and rec tube are my specialties at the moment.

Reactions: Ken and Tweaker

·
Registered
158 Posts
u no.... a good spoolgun and welder b like five grand......but u no....if u found a 100 dollar cheapy voltadge senseing gun u could just hook leads to the mig , run a wire to gas selinode if same voltage and some argon ,u good to go.... it would be a lot of fooling around but can make it work....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
still nothing. I sent them an email a couple weeks ago and still no release dates.

Reactions: Rockit and Ken

·
Registered
416 Posts
VG - I hadn't seen this post until today, but I have been thinking the same thing about the TCI skid plates and even trying to fab some bolt on engine guards for the Ricochet. Definitely would want to include the bends/shapes to accommodate the oil cooler and changing a filter if possible without removing the engine guard. I'm not a great metal worker but have been toying with this for a few weeks now. Just another one of those crazy ideas that just won't go away!

I'm wondering if a guy could get a tight enough bend with an electrical conduit bender? Unfortunately, spring yard cleanup, etc. is keeping me from experimenting with this. In the meantime, if anyone comes up with a bolt on solution for the Ricochet, I'm a buyer. :cool:

Reactions: admiral and Ken
1 - 20 of 20 Posts