TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Long time lurking, first time posting. Had my tdub 125 for 3 months now and love it, great 1st bike and pretty unique looking. I really liked the look of the older square headlight tdub's front fairing and felt like my 2003 model was missing out, so i designed my own and 3D printed it. There is another part of it that i havent printed, hence the flat top, but i want to make it out of clear perspex rather than solid plastic. Some one pointed out that it resembles the Electra Glide's front fairing, wasn't intentional but ill go with it so for the next version ill be adding room for a pair of fog lights and moving the indicators lower down. If anyone can come up with a different design feel free to share your sketches, will be very interesting to see what other folk can come up with as i never though of myself as very artistic :)
I went a bit too far with airflow model testing, just wanted to play with the software but don't think the drag coefficient is that important for the speeds my tdub experiences ;) it was more about completing the look of it.

IMG_8909.JPG IMG_8959.JPG IMG_8957.JPG DSC_1453-001.JPG DSC_1454-001.JPG

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Cool!! :p

Reactions: squirrel

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Very nice.
Print ABS sections then bond them together, then sand outside smooth? Or PLA or something new ? Wouldn't PLA need rafts to allow fairing to grow from bed, later to be trimmed off?

Reactions: squirrel

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Very nice work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice.
Print ABS sections then bond them together, then sand outside smooth? Or PLA or something new ? Wouldn't PLA need rafts to allow fairing to grow from bed, later to be trimmed off?
Thanks Fred! It is indeed printed in ABS, there are 6 section completed and ive still got 2 left but just trying to figure out the best way to mold the perspex to the shape. Both PLA and ABS require support structures if the model contains loads of overhangs above the print bed, but ive managed to split the full model in a way that would require the least supporting material to minimise waste and printing times. Each piece still takes between 6 and 8 hours to complete, which is a relatively long time for a print. I was planning on wrapping it in fiberglass and epoxy for the final finish but it came out strong enough as is. ABS is a better engineering plastic but its more difficult to print with than PLA because it shrinks more as it cools, but PLA is very difficult to sand and post process and its also way more brittle and would probably need to be fiberglassed. Also ABS bonds better using regular super glue as it actually melts the surfaces and they fuse together.

Very cool. Where do we place our orders for your custom work?
If youre interested feel free to send me a PM and we can have a chat, and ill be happy to tweak the design to your preferences.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Production level as in SLS? Would love an SLS machine but thats way out of my budget of scrap parts and few pennies. Looking to build a larger volume FDM printer and experiment with dual extrusion and carbon/nylon composites... But like i said, budget is tight and the Tdub takes priority :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cheers ZXtasy! Im just learning cad. used a 3D scan of the front of the bike for reference and designed the fairing in Fusion 360's sculpt mode, checked the aerodynamics in Flow Design and printed on a home built Prusa i3.
I was wondering if I could get your file of the 3d scan to try some things out. You got me interested in this big time. I have access to all of the CAD programs for free being an engineering student and I'm pretty sure there are some free 3d printers on campus that I could pump some prototypes for different fairings for the square headlight because I just love how yours turned out. Maybe I could send some to a few members for testing? try to do a really good wind reducing fairing for people who might not want a jimbo or anything that gets suggested. But anyway, Im just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was wondering if I could get your file of the 3d scan to try some things out. You got me interested in this big time. I have access to all of the CAD programs for free being an engineering student and I'm pretty sure there are some free 3d printers on campus that I could pump some prototypes for different fairings for the square headlight because I just love how yours turned out. Maybe I could send some to a few members for testing? try to do a really good wind reducing fairing for people who might not want a jimbo or anything that gets suggested. But anyway, Im just thinking out loud.
Hey Tallahasseetw! Im all for opensourcing projects, in fact there is a great paper on that here: www.bls.gov/ore/pdf/ec070120.pdf Ill upload it to my Dropbox and will share a link to it. But its obviously a scan of my round headlight model so not sure how useful it will be? Its not the highest quality scan but i used an x-box kinect as a scanner and a free program called Skanect for capture so will be pretty easy to replicate if you want to scan your own bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts