TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after seeing my new TW, my wife decided she wants to learn to ride, so I bought her one, too. The problem is, it's a little bit too tall, and I'd feel a whole lot better about it if her feet both touched the ground at the ground at the same time. She's 5'-2", and if one of her toes is touching the ground, the other is about 1" off the ground. Is there a way to lower the suspension on her bike?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
1. Adjust the rear monoshock. It has about 20 mm of adjustment, without removing the shock (unlike my XT250!)
2. Lower the forks in the triple trees

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I've done some research and understand the available options.

I'm going to install the Vstar 1100 shock. For those of you who have done this, should the shaft end of the shock be mounted in the up position, or the cylinder end?

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Never needed to try it myself – but TWROG knows what he’s doing

If you consider the principal of a basic shock, with all the attendant oil dampers and valves etc – it’s very rare that they’ll work upside down – TWROG (like yourself) was wise enough to question it, and has proved it in that thread …….

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
1. Adjust the rear monoshock. It has about 20 mm of adjustment, without removing the shock (unlike my XT250!)
2. Lower the forks in the triple trees
i must have been missing something here. where is and how do you adjust the rear shock on a tw by 20mm? without removing it from the bike?

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
On the older models from ’87 to ’16 – the spring is held in place by a circlip

This circlip can be adjusted to three positions, by removing it, and putting it back in a higher or lower position. As the circlip is in effect the spring stop, you must first remove the shock from the bike, compress the spring (be careful here, those things can punch a hole in the roof), shift the circlip into its new position, and release the spring against it – then replace the shock (now relaxed) onto the bike

There are three positions the circlip can be put into – but I doubt that any single one of them involve a 20mm drop unless you’re going from one extreme to the other

In 2017, the rear shock changed - http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/49073-2017-rear-shock-oversprung-not.html

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not sure if this was included in any of the previous links. Can’t vouch for the materials and techniques, but this guy made it work. Cheers
Thanks for the video link, Badgerflorida! It's going to be really helpful when I put it together.
...A couple things I noticed in the video:
He removed the rear tire when doing this, but someone made a comment below the video, and said he was able to do it without removing the rear wheel.
In the video, the shock was installed with the rod down - not up. You can see this at 5:13 in the video. This is completely opposite of the direction we had decided was correct earlier in thread. So... Did this guy do it wrong, too?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK guys, here's the poop on the direction of the shock, and it's not what we've been thinking. When installing a shock that is proprietary to another bike, it's probably best to see how it's supposed to be installed on that bike. Here's the schematic for the V-Star 1100. It clearly shows the cylinder up, and the rod down.
vstar_shock.jpg

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Good to know. Keep us posted on your project. A wife that rides is a good thing. Anybody on here ever see a TDub use an adjustable air shock that you can simply add or remove air?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... I bought a used Vstar 1100 shock on ebay today. I'll tell you this - The days of finding those for 30 bucks are over. It was a little painful, knowing others have paid so little for them. I guess thats the curse of the internet - someone's great idea goes viral and supply dwindles and prices go up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts