TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to go riding today, first real ride of 2011. Here are a few pics of our trip, and a vid of riding the boardwalk at the cove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNm7iFokjzA

This is looking out of Telegraph cove

Then we tried to ride up East Main, but the snow got too deep so we were forced to turn around and head back down the mountain. Maybe next month the snow will have melted enough for the climb over to the other side, the view of Johnstone Strait is breath-taking from there.

This was as far as we could climb, quite steep and with 6" of snow on top of ice there was no traction. Defeated we headed back down and stayed on the parts of the road the sun had melted away.

We were both freezing when we got back home, but for the first ride of the season it was great! So bye for now and safe ridin'.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Boy-oh-boy wrench-puller, those are some really great waterfront pictures! The video really enhances the waterfront-boardwalk feel. If these are your spring riding jaunts, I can't wait for your summer rides. These photo's and video are way cool!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What can I say?, we live in TW paradise. From the ocean to the mountian tops... 20 minutes. There are hundreds of miles of logging roads, some active, some overgrown, some washed away. We can ride for weeks and never ride the same road twice, but also never find your way home either! This end of Vancouver Island is spotted with lakes and streams. There are lots of unmarked campgrounds made by the logging companies and locals alike, and most are still free to use. We can ride from Port McNeill to Port Alice, Port Hardy, Holberg, Winter Harbour, Coal Harbour, Woss, Gold River, Thasis, and many historc sites all on logging roads. I sometimes feel guilty because I take all this for granted and get that attitude of "yeah - yeah, its great" but dont get out there and enjoy it. I read on here where guys are looking for places to ride off road and the talk of charging for that freedom to explore our own backyards, who has the right to place a fee on that? Here in B.C. it is mostly known as "Crown Land", owned by the government and leased to the logging companies. Once the trees are taken, the roads are left behind, This gives the public access to places most would never see or dare venture to, but there is also that few that spoil it. Why would some moron take his old fridge and bed 50 miles into the bush and throw it on the edge of the road?? The land fill is 15 to 30 minutes from most communities, but every year there seems to be more garbage out there. Fees wont stop this mentality, as this person wont purchase a pass to use this area either. So I say let us ride, report those that abuse the right, and charge those that trash the back roads. (Sorry, starting to rant
)

So if any of you want to ride till your knobbbies fall off, plan a trip up here. I can send you maps with little X's where all the good spots are. Or if its easier, I can post more pics and vids of what it is that your missing. But for me, I would rather share the ride with my fellow TW'ers. Leave your truck/RV/trailer in our driveway and head out in a different direction everyday as it doesn't matter which way you go the scenery is all great. The wife and I will continue to get out as much as we can this summer, so if you just want to see it through the camera lense thats good too.

Thanks Rainman & Admiral for your replies, just wish we could have you ride along.

Ride safe everyone, dont abuse the trails, leave it as you found it... picture perfect!

·
Registered
44 Posts
What can I say?, we live in TW paradise. From the ocean to the mountian tops... 20 minutes. There are hundreds of miles of logging roads, some active, some overgrown, some washed away. We can ride for weeks and never ride the same road twice, but also never find your way home either! This end of Vancouver Island is spotted with lakes and streams. There are lots of unmarked campgrounds made by the logging companies and locals alike, and most are still free to use. We can ride from Port McNeill to Port Alice, Port Hardy, Holberg, Winter Harbour, Coal Harbour, Woss, Gold River, Thasis, and many historc sites all on logging roads. I sometimes feel guilty because I take all this for granted and get that attitude of "yeah - yeah, its great" but dont get out there and enjoy it. I read on here where guys are looking for places to ride off road and the talk of charging for that freedom to explore our own backyards, who has the right to place a fee on that? Here in B.C. it is mostly known as "Crown Land", owned by the government and leased to the logging companies. Once the trees are taken, the roads are left behind, This gives the public access to places most would never see or dare venture to, but there is also that few that spoil it. Why would some moron take his old fridge and bed 50 miles into the bush and throw it on the edge of the road?? The land fill is 15 to 30 minutes from most communities, but every year there seems to be more garbage out there. Fees wont stop this mentality, as this person wont purchase a pass to use this area either. So I say let us ride, report those that abuse the right, and charge those that trash the back roads. (Sorry, starting to rant
)

So if any of you want to ride till your knobbbies fall off, plan a trip up here. I can send you maps with little X's where all the good spots are. Or if its easier, I can post more pics and vids of what it is that your missing. But for me, I would rather share the ride with my fellow TW'ers. Leave your truck/RV/trailer in our driveway and head out in a different direction everyday as it doesn't matter which way you go the scenery is all great. The wife and I will continue to get out as much as we can this summer, so if you just want to see it through the camera lense thats good too.

Thanks Rainman & Admiral for your replies, just wish we could have you ride along.

Ride safe everyone, dont abuse the trails, leave it as you found it... picture perfect!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Wrench-Puller,

Nice see you got out on a ride. It will be a few weeks before I can get out, but like you, I have a lot of wilderness literally at my back door. Very inspiring post. Ride on.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I was just about to compose a critical comment about your ride until you zoomed by a pub sign and I'm assuming I missed some good spots for fish and chips. Given beer, fish, and scenery like that I'd be content even motoring along at 4 mph. Enjoy and ride one trip for me. Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
I grew up in Port Alberni and have been to the north end of the island a few times but not on my bike yet. I think that this years snow will take some time to melt from the high elevations. I am looking forward to summer. I would like to take a trip up that way again soon. Thanks for the pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts