TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the blaster shock threads are all over but I have some questions...
1. should the front or rear shock be used?
2. how easily does it mount?
3. Is it any stiffer?
4. Is it adjustable?
5. By how much does the shock go back down when you sit on it? (does it stay as high as it looks when riding or does it look as stcok does?)
6. Is it more suitable for off-road riding?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Rear shock.

Mounts easily.

Just my opinion based on a ton of shock swaps. Plenty of us run them and will no doubt have a different opinion. I'm 5'9 on a tall day, 170lbs. on a fat day and found it totally unsuitable. YMMV.

All it is is TALL. Nosebleed tall. IMO it requires`a lifted front end to compensate for the change in trail. Twitchy steering. Too much sag, so when you try to lift or paddle the bike through rough stuff the bike rises up to meet your crotch right in the mushy, useless part of the stroke. Total mush for the first few inches of travel, after which it settles down to reasonably adequate firmness. However of all the shocks I've tried it was one of the few which was capable of using all its travel in both compression and extension.

Possibly much better for the taller and heavier rider than it was for me. Old Betsy just did beaucoup miles of Oz dirt on one and viewed it as an improvement.

Stock length shock is fine for an ATV tire unless you're particularly well fed and/or have a lengthened swingarm. I run a stock shock and spring with a 2" extended swingarm. My bike is a bit heavier than most and even with a week's worth of gear and chow it never bottoms.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm... A stiffer spring for the stock shock is seeming to be the only way to go.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
hmmm... A stiffer spring for the stock shock is seeming to be the only way to go.
Negative. There are literally dozens of ways to go. I'm just reporting what I found to be wrong with this one, for me, on my bike at my height and weight.

What is it you're trying to cure about yours?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm about 5'11 on a nice, warm, tall and fluffy day. And coming in at about 210 when I'm feeling fat. Im just looking for something more suitable for trails without modifying the forks.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you are 5'2 like others on here it can be a bit tall. It is also very soft the first few inches of sag. A fork upgrade (YZ 80) is HIGHLY suggested (no pun intended) and you can find a pair of mid 90' YZ 80 forks on eBay for around $20-$30. You will need to fabricate a custom eye loop (what's the right word Russ?) for the upper eye loop to fit snug. It cost me about $40. I am a tall guy. I feel like I am riding a shetland pony so the upgrade was perfect. IMG_6050.JPG IMG_6054.JPG
The rake with the blaster shock without the front fork upgrade was ridiculous. I felt like I was on facing straight down and the handling was terrible (as expected).
Both upgrades can be accomplished for around $50.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are 5'2 like others on here it can be a bit tall. It is also very soft the first few inches of sag. A fork upgrade (YZ 80) is HIGHLY suggested (no pun intended) and you can find a pair of mid 90' YZ 80 forks on eBay for around $20-$30. You will need to fabricate a custom eye loop (what's the right word Russ?) for the upper eye loop to fit snug. It cost me about $40. I am a tall guy. I feel like I am riding a shetland pony so the upgrade was perfect. View attachment 1133 View attachment 1134
The rake with the blaster shock without the front fork upgrade was ridiculous. I felt like I was on facing straight down and the handling was terrible (as expected).
Is there a build thread for your setup? Very curious about the front end swap.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Good afternoon Philosobrad,

I had the pleasure of having the late Russ-Lizard Breath spend the day with me converting to the hybrid forks. If you know (I didn't) how to separate forks/fork tubes, it is an easy process.
drain the forks, loosen the forks at the bottom. The key is having a tool (Russ brought his home-made) tool to keep the bolt piece from turning inside as you loosen it from the bottom of the forks.
By adding the early 80's YZ 80 fork tubes you don't add travel but you add ground clearance. (about 2 1/2"). I do not really ride hard enough to add progressive springs except for when I practice the triples on the local supercross track. But that will end up being your preference. I bought the YZ 80 forks on ebay for $20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1987-YZ80-YZ-80-FORKS-/380818925314

1982 Yamaha YZ80 YZ 80 Front Forks Shock Absorbers | eBay

Not sure about the years you need. Someone in here should be able to give some insight about the years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is plenty of room on the lower shock mount to drill a new hole, lower down. This has been recommended as a method of lowering the TDub for shorter riders (combined with moving the forks up in the trees).

There is no reason the Blaster shock cannot be used without raising the bike, if combined with a new lower mounting location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are 5'2 like others on here it can be a bit tall. It is also very soft the first few inches of sag. A fork upgrade (YZ 80) is HIGHLY suggested (no pun intended) and you can find a pair of mid 90' YZ 80 forks on eBay for around $20-$30. You will need to fabricate a custom eye loop (what's the right word Russ?) for the upper eye loop to fit snug. It cost me about $40. I am a tall guy. I feel like I am riding a shetland pony so the upgrade was perfect. View attachment 1133 View attachment 1134
Hello,

My name is Randall. I have been reading all the Blaster shock threads and I must say they have all been Very helpful and inspiring. I am currently in the mix of heightening my 97 TW. I just received the Blaster Shock I ordered off eBay and almost got it on, But It appears that the swing arm is touching the motor, leaving the shock bottom hole a half inch from the mount hole on the swingarm. Do I have to grind that area on the motor down or do I have the wrong shock (assuming the shock is a 1997 since it has "97" written on it with marker)? Also the chain looks like it will be a problem when running seeing that it sits with extreme angle. I look forward to your reply :)) Your bike looks so awesome with the fork and rear shock modifications you have done.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I talked to joedirt via PM not to long ago about the blaster rear and the yz fork mod. I just need a little more detailed info on the blaster rear top piece that needs to be made to mount it. What exactly is different and what exactly needs to be made? Any specs you could give, or better yet some pics would be better maybe. Is the bushing hole where the to top mount bolt different? I don't know what the issue is really yet. This question is for anyone that can help and explain what's different, and what needs to be made. Thanks in advance.....:D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Oh, one more thing. Is there any longer kick stand that fits from a different bike so it doesn't lean to much after the ride hight it added, or do I have to weld an extension piece on to the stock kick stand?

Thanks again...!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts