TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what, actually, I changed my mind...this bike weighs more than a KLR 650! Almost a HUNDRED POUNDS HEAVIER than a DR650! And that is obviously not a light bike! It does LOOK good though (with knobbies - which the Euro guys don't get afaik); I'll give it that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sat on the Tenere at the Motorcyle show. Its a monster, feels like a BMW GS. Im going to Bike Week, hoping Yamaha has them available for the demo rides.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Footdoc,

That's a picture of the 660, not available in the US.

The Tenere that is being imported, by pre-order only, is the 1200 Super Tenere.

jb

·
Registered
196 Posts
[quote name='jbfla' date='03 March 2011 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1299184545' post='13765']

Footdoc,

That's a picture of the 660, not available in the US.

The Tenere that is being imported, by pre-order only, is the 1200 Super Tenere.

jb

Thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

I was wondering "What happened, thought it was coming to the US?"

I was talking to a Yamaha Tech at the show and Adventure bikes seem to be the current rage.

Seems Yamaha US lineup is missing a mid-size dual sport, and a strong 250 to battle the CBR and Ninja. Maybe we'll get some fresh offerings next year. In the meantime I'll read posts twice before I comment.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
No problem, FootDoc. If that's your only error, you better than most.

I agree that there are few dual sports to choose from between 250 and 650 cc, the DRZ 400 and ...?

I hope to look over the new offerings next Wed/Thurs in Daytona.

However, I am pretty satisfied with the bikes I have. The only one that peaked my interest is the Triumph Tiger 800 triple, but haven't heard if it's made it to the US yet.

jb

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
...hoping Yamaha has them available for the demo rides.
At the Antique Motorcycle Meet (Eustis,FL) I talked to a guy who has put money down and ordered a Super Tenere 1200.

The dealer told him they would be available for demo rides during Daytona Bike Week.

How do I look in a chrome BSA tank?

jb

·
Registered
369 Posts
[quote name='jbfla' date='04 March 2011 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1299290613' post='13873']

At the Antique Motorcycle Meet (Eustis,FL) I talked to a guy who has put money down and ordered a Super Tenere 1200.

The dealer told him they would be available for demo rides during Daytona Bike Week.

How do I look in a chrome BSA tank?

jb

Warped hahhaa.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hey, TK. That's better than I look in person...

jb

·
Registered
464 Posts
You know what, actually, I changed my mind...this bike weighs more than a KLR 650! Almost a HUNDRED POUNDS HEAVIER than a DR650! And that is obviously not a light bike! It does LOOK good though (with knobbies - which the Euro guys don't get afaik); I'll give it that.

Great machine but the seat height is way too tall for me.

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
I talked with the Yamaha guys at Daytona Bike Week and asked about the 660. One guy said that Yamaha put all the required carb/smog/pollution crap on the bike and it was a real "dog". He didn't think it would be imported to North America. I did notice all the extra "green" equipment on the Honda dual sports. Heard it was for fuel vapors. Capt D.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I talked with the Yamaha guys at Daytona Bike Week ...
Hey Capt. D,

Are you still in Daytona? I walked both sides of Beach St. today, from the BMW dealer to the Harley dealer and back.

Tomorrow I'll spend at the Speedway...demo rides, vendors, and races. It just started raining tonight. Hope it stops by the morning.

jb

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey Capt. D,

Are you still in Daytona? I walked both sides of Beach St. today, from the BMW dealer to the Harley dealer and back.

Tomorrow I'll spend at the Speedway...demo rides, vendors, and races. It just started raining tonight. Hope it stops by the morning.

jb
\

JB,

I just got back from Daytona.

If you want to ride the Tenere get there early! It was filled up every day I went, and I was there semi-early (@9:30).

On another note the Triumph 675 Street Triple R was so much fun that it made the trip worthwhile all by itself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Capt. D,

jb

I'm back home JB. Rode mostly all dirt on Sat up at the northern end of Ocala National Forest, then over to the speedway to see the Supercross. Ended up camping in the infield Sat, Sun and Mon nights and left on Tue about noon. Got to demo the DR 650 and the V- Strom 650 both of which I plan to buy. Longest lines I saw were the demo for the Can-Am Spider. You have to watch a video before riding it. Capt D.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
FootDoc and CaptD,

It rained early, then was overcast today. That was good. There were NO lines for demo rides. You could pick any bike you wanted. The only waiting was for enough people to fill the group.

Of course I didn't bring my riding gear because I though the lines would be too long. :-(

These guys liked the Super Tenere:

If I weren't so satisfied with the bikes I have (and the wife wouldn't kill me), I would have the Triumph Tiger 800 on my list.

CaptD, If we are ever back in NC at the same time, you are welcome to try out my DR.

jb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts