TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Back!! First two weeks in July.Again on the KLR and the Dub. J.B. Longroof,Jerry T. Anybody want to join us or show Roe and I around? We will be staying at our place in Riceville and have plenty of space if someone wants to rough camp. Now if I can just find the phone list for everyone!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Hi X,

I'll be in NC during your visit. I would be glad to join you and Mrs. X on a some easy forest service roads. Maybe we can finally do the Cade's Cove ride this year.

jb

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi X,

I'll be in NC during your visit. I would be glad to join you and Mrs. X on a some easy forest service roads. Maybe we can finally do the Cade's Cove ride this year.

jb

I'm up for a ride basically, anywhere.

I've found some really good roads in the Tellico area.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what part of tn? I live near lexington ky and have wanted to head south for some trail riding.
Riceville is just south of Athens Tennessee on RT.11. Our place is on some backroads but not that hard to find. I'm thinking the best bet is to meetup in Tellico Plains. J.B. Cades Cove is a ride I look forward to. Thats the one Parsons Branch road comes from is it not? I think Roe can handle some easy off-roading as long as it's not too bumpy. Can everyone please P.M. me with their phone numbers. Seems I've lost my list AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's going to be lots to do when I get up there. Getting the building set up the way we want it. Getting a well drilled and a hand pump installed.Building a outhouse around the pump and more. Anyone know how to build an outhouse? I watched the old Dukes of Hazzard reruns but Bo and Luke did not go into detail on how they built one.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to get some plans together. Weekday or Weekend what works best for you guys? Also we would like to do an overnighter with a hotel or cabin stay. Any idea's?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank's for the info. Tellico Plains is about 20 miles from us so we may want to stray further afield. I hope to get a long range weather forcast and then pick a weekday for our ride.Also we are trying to keep our plans open so if someone has a better idea I'm open to it. Again Thank's All!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you are considering a Cade's Cove ride, it's an all day excursion from Tellico and back. And probably best done on a weekday.

You could make a 2 day ride out of it. Ride the Tellico Plains area in the morning, then head for Townsend, TN for a motel. The next morning you could do Cade's Cove, Parson's Branch, the Dragon, and then the Skyway back to Tellico Plain's.

jb

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was surpised and pleased when Roe said she was up for an all day ride. J.B. what do you think the distance is 200 miles or more? Also we are thinking of the Fontana Dam area for our overnighter.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
... what do you think the distance is 200 miles or more?
I will let you know. I'm planning to do a similar ride next week.

jb

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about a meet at Tellico Outfitters on July 5TH. at 9AM ? Also we will be at the Lookout Mountian Flight Park that Saturday for a party if anyone wants to join us.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
jb Can you leave a trail of bread crumbs for us to follow?

Not allowed to feed the wildlife...

How about a meet at Tellico Outfitters on July 5TH. at 9AM ?

Tellico Plains is fine with me.

But don't plan a Cade's Cove ride during Fourth of July week. I went on a weekday afternoon. The scenery is spectacular. But thousands of other people think so too, and they will be there with you, traveling the 11 mile loop at 1-2 mph.

The two guys behind me on Harley touring bikes had to pull over and stop because their engines were overheating.

The Visitor's Center is about midway of the loop and thankfully that's where the turnoff is for Parson's Branch.

I'll PM you my phone #.

Twisty, I sent you a PM too.

jb

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cades Cove can wait for a better time. I'm sure we will find some nice riding elsewere. I've been told there are some easy forest service roads thet lead to some overlooks in the area. Maybe thats something we aim for.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Crap!! The extended forecast is calling for thundershowers. What do you guys think? I'm trying to keep everything open just in case.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well Crap!! The extended forecast is calling for thundershowers. What do you guys think? I'm trying to keep everything open just in case.
Depends on whether it's a front coming through, or isolated t-storms. In the summer it can rain one minute and be sunny the next. You know, like last year. We were wet for a while, then it cleared up.

I didn't intend to discourage you from Cade's Cove if that's what you want to do. It's your vacation.

The Park Service recommends to allow 2 hours for the 11 mile loop. From my experience, it will take longer.

For me, it's no fun sitting on a motorcycle in slow moving traffic for extended periods of time. My round trip time from Tellico Plains to Cade's Cove and back was about 8 hours, without much stopping.

I can plan a leisurely (slow) ride on some FS roads and some secondary paved roads. Or lead or follow wherever you like.

EDIT: AccuWeather shows Friday as cloudy and rainy... but things can change in a week.

jb

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Low and slow sounds good to me. I'll try and give everyone a call midweek. " SeeYa "

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm afraid the trip did not turn out as planned. Roe dumped the Dub on a gravel road and it used her ankle as a landing pad. She now has three fractures in her left foot and will have to wear a cast for a few weeks. Needless to say we came home early to see her doctor. The good news is that it will heal on its own the bad new is she no longer wants to ride off-road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts