TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Defender Dog and I went tent shopping today. Trying to be ready for a possible night camped along the river as well as alpine lake moto/camp/fish summer ideas.

Settled on a Eureka Midori Solo, light and compact enough for the CycleRack yet adequately wind and rain resistant if I can stake it out tight enough. TW nails one end down just fine.;)

Being located out of town I had to drive by this wintry lake to get there. Pretty enough to pause for a pic.

Dog wanted to take me water-skiing.

Took a while to get by a pretty big boulder that had rolled onto road. The highway dept. had nibbled it down to size of a mini-van by time I came home. Photo doesn't capture the size of dent it made!

This was all near Cave Rock, Lake Tahoe, Nv.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyways my Moab plans may include trying to use TW to overnight somewhat remotely if I can only pack light enough. Petroglyphs, pictographs, flowing desert rivers all provide seductive lures beyond the landforms so I may try to experience as much as possible.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't told the doggies there're not going yet.:( Leave dogs behind, pack handgun instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was looking a tent to take along to big bend next month and finally settled on the mountainsmith morrison 2 suggested by Borneo, I am a little clostraphobic which I discovered on the bottom bunk at the KOA cabin in Moab last year, so the extra room will be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That mountainsmith morrison 2 looks like a nice tent Nick, good one. That basic two pole design is getting popular for both many a solo and 2-person lightweight tents. The extra space afforded by the 2-person rating will be appreciated to bring all your gear inside should it rain in the Big Bend. I recall hearing locals joke that while it only rains 8 inches a year you should see it the day it does rain. GG11_MountainSmith_Morrison_445x260.jpg

·
Registered
976 Posts
After about 15 years in the same REI half-dome, I upsized to an Alps Zenith 3 a little over a year ago. Being a 3 person tent, it has a lot more room for me, the wife, and our riding gear. I set out shopping for a 1 person tent to save room in my kit, but I found that there just wasn't much difference in packed size between most 1-3 person traditional tents. The extra room is welcome on those rain-out days .

I'm interested in hammocks and bivys, but I'm pretty used to regular tents at this point so I'm reticent to try and switch.

Anyway, the Zenith 3 has been a great tent, probably equal in quality to my old half-dome for less than I paid for that one in '99.

ALPS Mountaineering Zenith 3 AL Tent - 3-Person, 3-Season - Save 44%
alps-mountaineering-zenith-3-al-tent-3-person-3-season-in-sage-coal~p~1480c_03~460.4.jpg alps-mountaineering-zenith-3-al-tent-3-person-3-season~a~1480c_3~460.1.jpg

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the same style tent you got Fred, but a 2-man version. There's room for my riding gear and to change clothes inside. Not sure a dog would fit too, but probably.

There is very little in storage size between a 1-man and a 2-man tent. I'd recommend the 2-man. It's just nice that everything but the bike fits inside and there's even room to heat my coffee in there while still in my sleeping bag. I sat out 3 days on the John Day in the rain with this tent.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I picked up a Mountainsmith Celestial 2 last fall to keep with the travel bikes.
Not bad and I got it on closeout.
mountainsmith-celestial-tent-2-person-3-season-in-lotus-blue~p~2747v_01~1500_4.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Eureka tent.Good tent for the money. Been using the Eureka Aurora1 on the bikes for about 8 years now. Small but packs well and does the job plus it is freestanding if needed.
Set up on the tundra in 2014 at Blanc Sablon, Quebec.
DSCF2519.JPG DSCF2526.JPG

·
Registered
564 Posts
In need of more uprightedness in my tent these days, I went for the most uprightedness. Our MEC's Cabin 4. maxresdefault.jpg
I already packed one slightly bigger than this on my Vstrom so I know I can do it.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
While aware of the minimal increase in weight and bulk of a 2-person over a solo tent I selected the Midori Solo because:
1) really wanted tent to fit comfortably in my system of standardized 5"x20" storage bags with all stakes, poles, ropes and flashlight in one package. Re-packaged as shown it is same size as Thermarest, down bag, and clothes bag so they all stack neatly like logs on rack. e32f79549d9712f56ed3da0b49891197.jpg
2) didn't want anyone else with stinky feet or snoring trying to crawl in with me:p
3) there have been times when my 2-person dome was just too big for the available space

·
Registered
936 Posts
A small footprint does make stealth camping a bit easier for sure! I have a bivy sack for such occasions. Did you contemplate one of those?

I need to find one in camo, mine is blue and stands out too much!

I'll set up my stove, pot with water so in the morning, I just reach out and fire it up. Gotta have my COFFEE!!!

Just wanted to add;
I cut up a vinyl w/cloth backing tablecloth for a door mat. It's very strong and heavy enough to stand on to take off boots and such. I keep a second one to set on a stump as a table cloth so my cooking isn't affected by the stump and I don't leave food odors outside that might attract critters. Very little space needed.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Another benefit of the smaller tent is it will stay warmer in cold temperatures.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Back in the day, I had two and four man Eureka Timberline tents. Loved them. Don't have a tent now.:(

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just ordered http://www.amazon.ca/12-Survivors-Shire-Person-Green/dp/B00JAE1IEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456410371&sr=8-1&keywords=12+survivor+2+shire for my Alaska trip next summer. Fred's Eureka Midori was the other tent that had me on the fence. I finally just flipped a coin. Looks like a great tent Fred.
51vfOqN4-WL._SL1000_.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts