TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what people use as tents when camping on the TW. I have an ultra-light SpinTarp that I use hiking. I figure it is so light it is easy to take even if I have another tent.

I'll be riding & camping solo, probably in all types of weather except for snow.

Any ideas or recommendations?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Here is quite an extensive thread on bike camping, tents and equipment Link It's 103 pages long right now and growing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There are lots of tents out there that would be just fine for what you're looking for.

Here is what I use on occasion. I used this recently.

It is really nice for a shorter trip or occasional use, but after a week it would start to get a little tiresome.

It definitely is a bit more of a specialty type of a "tent", plus you have to have something to tie it to.

If done up properly, it will keep you high and dry, even in a rather nasty storm. The only bad part about it is there is really no room for anything other than you and a book in there. you'll have to do something else with your gear, whereas in a tent, even a smaller one, you can still fit quite a bit of gear in there with you in the event of weather moving in. Hence the reason I had to cover up everything I had with some plastic on my bike.

Hennessey Hammocks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just use one I bought at WalMart. I got the "backpack" size. It's fine for just me and some gear. I down-sized from a 4 man tent I had when I was riding a larger street bike with tour bags & full fairing. Now my tent bag is smaller than the chair I pile on top of it.

Out here in the mid-west a bad thunderstorm is gonna get through even the most expensive tent. So I don't sweat about getting the good gear the magazines push.

I lean towards backpack gear for the bike, (even though I could carry larger (less expensive) stuff), just so I have room to take the little comforts, like a full size pillow.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If size is an issue,check with Bike Nashbar or Performance. They carry bicycle camping gear that takes up little room but will still protect you from the elements.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have done all sorts of camping using 2-man Eureka Timberline tents for the last 30 years. I'm on my second one now. They are easy to set up, simple in design, comparatively cheap to buy, hold up well, self standing and just plain work. Any time I've done group tours that involve camping, other Timberline tents are always in the mix.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are lots of tents out there that would be just fine for what you're looking for.

Hennessey Hammocks.

A friend just ordered a Hennessey today. I'll see how it work next weekend when we take a ride.

Have you ever set it up on the ground as a tent?

J

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This is what I bought recently, specifically for bike camping...

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000001978&categoryid=11070

The single-pole design means that it sets up really quickly and it is big enough to fit a queen-size mattress inside...although I don't have a Queenie mattress to pack along! Lots of room for your gear, vestibule has enough room for your boots, nothing more!

Another one I bought two years ago:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3595402

This one doesn't have quite as much floor space, and takes a bit longer to setup but it has TWO doors and TWO vestibules, so you don't have to step over your partner to get in and out...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am wondering what people use as tents when camping on the TW. I have an ultra-light SpinTarp that I use hiking. I figure it is so light it is easy to take even if I have another tent.

I'll be riding & camping solo, probably in all types of weather except for snow.

Any ideas or recommendations?

My long time favorite is the REI Half Dome. A good 2.5 to 3 season tent. Doesn't take up much room but is fairly roomy inside. When its hot you can remove the fly.

This one has gone up to Alaska with me several times and on many other longer trips. Works well for me I have lived in this tent for up to one month and it held up well.

The tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, cook set, etc all fit into a large Northface Duffle that sits nicely on the back of the TW (I have the CycleRack) and does not crowd me when riding

REI now makes a Half Dome Plus (little more room)-I would probably consider that one if I was buying a new tent today.

There are lots of good tents out their today-good luck with your choice.

Here is my new tent that I ordered. I will use this for a base camp set up on longer trips when using my utility trailer.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Hennessey hammock and like it alot. i also have a North Face starlight extreme that has stood up to years of use. I'm going to add a silnylon tarp to my camping kit to put up over the bike when i start camping with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A friend just ordered a Hennessey today. I'll see how it work next weekend when we take a ride.

Have you ever set it up on the ground as a tent?

J

I haven't had the opportunity yet to use it as a tent. I did sleep in it during a rather raging storm and it kept me nice and dry. No condensation, although a bit stuffy when you have the rain fly tied down close to the top to prevent rain from blowing in. If the weather is going to be nice, I advise keeping the fly a bit higher to allow for more of a breeze.

I imagine with a nice sleeping pad that it would work well as a temporary tent.

Again, they aren't for everybody or every purpose. It is just a nice alternative for a shorter term shelter that doesn't take up much room.

Another benefit to it is the setup and takedown times. Especially if you use the "snake skins", setup time with practice, is around the 4 minute range.

No need to find smooth ground for a tent...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I have a 4-person dome from Walmart. It takes way too long and too much work to set up and to pack away. It has plenty of room and works fine, though. If I had to camp in bad weather I'd want a footprint under and tarp over. Over the years I've found that how a tent is oriented to the wind has more to do with weatherproof than the cost of the tent. I've camped in everything from government surplus shelter halves to multiroom cabins.

That 1/2 dome looks good. How easy is the setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 4-person dome from Walmart.

Yah, I have a $40.00 one from Target. It looks like it is made from generic blue tarp material. Watertight, but heavy, slow to set up. Big, almost big enough to get the bike inside.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 4-person dome from Walmart. It takes way too long and too much work to set up and to pack away. It has plenty of room and works fine, though. If I had to camp in bad weather I'd want a footprint under and tarp over. Over the years I've found that how a tent is oriented to the wind has more to do with weatherproof than the cost of the tent. I've camped in everything from government surplus shelter halves to multiroom cabins.

That 1/2 dome looks good. How easy is the setup?

Very easy and fast set up-my fastest time is just under two minutes. Not much to it. When its windy you can stake it down. The tent is attached to the poles using clips which is much faster than sliding poles through a sleeve.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I am new to the TW but not to mc camping. It just seems that these TWs are the ticket for getting into back roads camping areas.

I'm a bit of a 'tent freak', have used a two-man Timberline alpine, three-man Sierra dome, four-man Timberline outfitter, army canvas pup tent, three-man megamid, and a Hennesey Hammock. And just a Noha's tarp where bugs aren't a problem.

The Hennessey Hammock works very well, is light, and quite weatherproof. Only drawback is that some state and national and some private campgrounds won't let you use trees, but for "camping wild" that isn't a problem. You just need a tarp to cover your gear with.

My fav all around tent is the Timberline alpine two-man, and the vestibule makes it a much nicer tent. Boy Scouts have been using these for decades.

I love the spike/tipi/miner's tent style as the megamid is, but with waterproof walls it sweats like a pig. I'm considering a canvas miner's tent but the 22 lbs it goes might preclude bike use. Maybe not.

Looking forward to getting out on the TW with camping and fishing gear.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also use REI half dome (??) tent on motorcycle camping tour.

When it is packed, the volume is really small and very light weight.

The length of the tent; when packed, is less than 20 inches I guess.

Here is a photo from last year's. (without ply screen)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a few tents but lately have been exclusively using my Eureka Backcountry 1. Originally wanting the BC2 (pole length on both is 15"), availability was poor so I 'settled' for the 1 person, thinking I may very well be sorry. I haven't been. Pack size is small and matches perfectly as I continue my quest to take less and less along, but just enough. Toughest part for me is putting my riding boots on in the morning, otherwise, even at an over weight and less flexible 55, I'm going to wear this thing out while I can.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've got a few tents but lately have been exclusively using my Eureka Backcountry 1. Originally wanting the BC2 (pole length on both is 15"), availability was poor so I 'settled' for the 1 person, thinking I may very well be sorry. I haven't been. Pack size is small and matches perfectly as I continue my quest to take less and less along, but just enough. Toughest part for me is putting my riding boots on in the morning, otherwise, even at an over weight and less flexible 55, I'm going to wear this thing out while I can.

I found the link to REI and their hal dome. There is a video link on the site for setup and specs etc. I hope you find this useful. You will find the video link on the right side below "Product Rating".

http://www.rei.com/product/794296

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been using the REI half dome for 5 years while riding, backpacking, rafting, hunting, etc.... The half dome is a great tent, and as has been said is easy to set up and has good room. I have the foot print and that has helped keep the bottom looking like new and have not had it or the fly leak yet. I would definitely recommend the half dome, it works great and packs small and light. The other suggestion I would make is the Big Agnes pad, they are a little more of a pain to inflate but are really comfortable and pack REALLY small. I use different pads for each of my activities but the BIG AGNES always goes on the bike or while backpacking just because of size.

Idahooo04

1 - 20 of 23 Posts