TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few hundred miles on the TerraCross 26x8x14 ATV tire now and am getting comfortable with its off road performance. Here is a quick video from yesterday slow churning through a bit of snow, ice and sand along the California/ Nevada state line. Great traction but I eventually got stuck.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
your dogs are in great shape fred. ;)

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
That looked fun and dangerous at the same time. :p

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dogs are in better shape than me but we all slept well that night.
I was safe until I stepped off the bike and walked into a branch, now I have a bloody forehead.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While the daily freeze/thaw made for ice in the 4-wheeler tracks it was molded in adequately textured shapes of the treads for acceptable traction. Still spooky crunching my way downhill. Climbing out of the old wheel tracks to get on undisturbed snow wasn't an easy option...think snowy slot car. track.:p slot car.jpeg

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Fred! Did you mount that tire on the stock rim? If so, how difficult was it? How do you like it compared to the other atv tires you've tried?

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mounted on a stock rim by Reno Motorsports on a stock rim I after I sealed spokes for to go tubeless.
Tire bead was belt sanded first for more clearance since ATV rims are larger than 14" TW rim. I seated bead at home over a three day period with heat, lots of lube, inflate/deflate several times 30 to 50 psi.
Someone recently said their tire shop did the whole installation of a TerraCross without issue but I was cautious after watching a YouTube where they destroyed two of these tires before success on a third.
I like the TerraCross better than the Duro so far due to the far more rounded profile. Tracks straight in narrow knobby ruts rather than darting from rut margin to rut margin. Playful handling compared to Duro, one can lean over and give gas or brake to slide rear around a bit on firmer surfaces. Traction in loose sand and snow of varying consistencies so far is really impressive.
I put about 7,000 mostly off-road miles on the Duro as well as many twisty long road rides like over Sierra passes like Tioga , Sonora, Ebbetts, Luther and Carson Passes. Never a problem on pavement. Have chased other TWs with Bighorn and Cerros ATV tires as well as test riding TW-Brian's new Duro2 around on pavement. All are likely very good options but I think the way the TerraCross can mimic some of the feel of a narrow enduro bike experience makes it the winner for me.
Rider21, are your knees healed enough for a test ride? We missed a few fun group rides together last year:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks Fred. What method did you use to seal the spokes? Knees are ok and my foot is good after surgery so I'm ready to go.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dwight, maybe we should go ride near the Burlington Ridge ORV area again like we did with Boarder255 the other Spring.
Ride to the old mining town of Washington along the Yuba river then downstream to North Bloomfield and maybe Malakov Diggings. Nice and warm down there in the gold country, no snow. Might even be able to lure a coastal fog eater or two to join us, those Nor-Cal nutjobs must be getting cabin fever by now.
Just need to finish putting Betty back together, have spent too much time riding with the pack rather than wrenching.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I finally found a parts bike to replace the bent rear wheel on my 99 and was thinking I will use the old hub to do a trailer wheel/ATV tire setup. Yesterday I was at Canadian Tire and noticed a 14x6 trailer rim and next to it some ATV tires. Holy crap that steel rim and ATV tire were very heavy. For the type of riding that I do I just can't see it working for me with all that unsprung weight. I'm sure it would be great on the trails but I also run the hwy (100-110 kms/hr) and gravel roads including washboard(70-90km/hr). I almost never trailer my TW (ok one time to Nova Scotia) and like to be able to take it anywhere. Am I better off just staying with the stock tire?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I finally found a parts bike to replace the bent rear wheel on my 99 and was thinking I will use the old hub to do a trailer wheel/ATV tire setup. Yesterday I was at Canadian Tire and noticed a 14x6 trailer rim and next to it some ATV tires. Holy crap that steel rim and ATV tire were very heavy. For the type of riding that I do I just can't see it working for me with all that unsprung weight. I'm sure it would be great on the trails but I also run the hwy (100-110 kms/hr) and gravel roads including washboard(70-90km/hr). I almost never trailer my TW (ok one time to Nova Scotia) and like to be able to take it anywhere. Am I better off just staying with the stock tire?
Most guys are using a 12" trailer wheel. Here are some weights that I measured on my first trailer wheel build. Clearly, this mod will add some unsprung weight to the rear wheel.

Stock TW wheel and tire - 32.8 lbs
Stock TW wheel with Duro Power Grip 26x8x14 - 37.8 lbs
Trailer wheel and Sedona Rip-Saw 25x8x12 - 46.4 lbs

The Rip-Saw tire by itself weighs 27 lbs.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think one can get the Maxxis Duro Sand Tire for a 12 inch rim down to around 14lbs w/o tube but all these ATV tire options add unsprung weight and add a lot of rotational inertia...slower to accelerate but harder to stall. duro sand tire.jpeg
As ol' Charlie Newton said in his Laws of Motion that a body in motion tends to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force.
Translation: Takes a lot of outside force to slow down Brian's Ripsaw. Helps when sawing lumber with that 70 tooth inner sprocket.:p

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dwight, maybe we should go ride near the Burlington Ridge ORV area again like we did with Boarder255 the other Spring.
Ride to the old mining town of Washington along the Yuba river then downstream to North Bloomfield and maybe Malakov Diggings. Nice and warm down there in the gold country, no snow. Might even be able to lure a coastal fog eater or two to join us, those Nor-Cal nutjobs must be getting cabin fever by now.
Just need to finish putting Betty back together, have spent too much time riding with the pack rather than wrenching.:rolleyes:
Ya, I need to get out for a warm up ride since it's been so long. Also to seat those rings.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe, we could likely swing a mid-week ride if that helps with your schedule. Cruising easy old pioneer dirt roads and some pavement in the gold country comes to mind, could go look at some old hydraulic mining scars and hand stacked boulders on riverbanks. Emphasis on EASY as long as we don't find any snow or ice.

Reactions: Joemama

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Emphasis on EASY as long as we don't find any snow or ice.
ALERT! ALERT! Danger Will Robinson! Danger Will Robinson!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts