TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One possible ride destination i've been pushing for this march event goes south along the Swell from Goblin Valley, Little Wild Horse Mesa and on to Factory Buttes where the landforms in the Mancos Shale are impressive. factory butte 2.jpg Factory Butte 2 _MG_1394-02-Edit v2.jpg factory mancos shale.jpg This all gets us to Swing Arm City where apparently Ken Block had fun too. He did go a bit faster than I did last year. I camped at base of cliff around minute 3:14 in the March with lots more soil moisture and no dust. No 600 horsepower either.

It is getting time for us to flesh out our ride plans.;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When he went up that really big wall near the end with the sheer drop it took my breath away.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were high marks from other motorcycles to the top of that big wall when I was camped. Betty Boop only made it up about 25 feet.
I was there all by myself in mid-week and there was room for a many a hundred of campers, a really big place. It just fine to explore at a sedate to moderate pace but our bikes lack the power to tackle much of the terrain, like the single tracks atop many of the knife like ridges.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am game for any sane routes, to see as much of the country as we can. Drove route 24 from Capital reef to Hanksville last june, and that was some dry and dusty country. Hanksville might be the closest place for resupply. Got to love that store dug into the hill!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Doesn't everyone buy their beer and bait underground? View attachment 161066
wow...we have been through Hanksville half a dozen times and missed this store everytime. now i see where it is on google, i can see that we had lunch right across the street. well hidden!

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never noticed it either. Between the Burger Shack and Hollow Mountain it seems Hanksville has everything a fella would need.:p

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Art comes in so many forms. Suspect we all have been given a unique gift. Sadly most of us are not always in the best position to commit when the spark illuminates the possibilities. The skill-sets of those that make the 'jump' are utterly amazing..... Music, oil on canvas, prose, machine manipulations, it matters not; it is a gift, and it is art. WOW!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Camped at swing arm once, totally by accident. Pulled in, in the middle of the night, with the teardrop trailer, and awoke to the most amazing dirt playground I've ever seen. I still can't believe this place exists. I have told a number of other, much better riders, about the place and nobody seems interested at all. Fred if you want to go back there and play some other time I would be happy to give it a try. Problem is I'm still a working guy, so don't have time this go round. I would probably bring my 690 enduro for swing arm though.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Fred, that first picture really takes your breath away. Not to say the others don't but...
WOW!

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Folks can see why so many of us are returning to explore parts of the San Rafael Swell on our bikes.
I'll likely return to Swing Arm City as I had a fun time riding the aea while camped at the base of this bluff seen in Bock's video. swing arm camp.jpg Some might say it is a desolate wasteland but I enjoyed the stark beauty and solitude plus the night riding was surreal. I thought it a great place to camp.
I got chased out of Cathedral Valley by what evolved into an intense wind and rain storm once back at camp. The wind would pick up vast clouds of sand and gravel off the high terrain and leave brown-out zones down-wind. Guess I was camped in one of these shadows. swing arm storm.jpg

As the squall intensified I was able to shelter in the vigorously shaking van. Things really got pelted by wind blown debris blown off the adjacent high ground. Poor Betty got blown over three times by killer gusts and it hurt getting hit by wind blown grape sized pebbles each time I went out to pick bike up again. I finally had to tie the TW to the rear carrier. Never experienced gusts that intense. An intense experience I thoroughly enjoyed. swing arm tiedown.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts