TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Haha great writeup! It definitely explains why the TW is different, and why that's a good thing.

I would disagree with Yamaha's statement that it's not for "serious trail use." It certainly is, as long as your attitude and expectations are set accordingly. Where other bikes tend to move quite swiftly like a hare, this little guy just putters along like the tortoise.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
2006 TW? You got to be kidding. I've got a 2013, way more advanced and up to date than the 2006! I'm sure a more current review would give us a better idea of what the TW is capable of!:p
Don't look now Scottie but any part I need for my 2006 can be stolen off your 2013 and I honestly can't name a part that is different. We all need to hand Yamaha a big thumbs up and also think about how much money they have made by not constantly re designing out beloved TWs. I see them as basically 3 different models, 1987, 1988-2000 and 2001-present. In reality there are probably 95% of the parts from a 2015 that will still bolt right on to a 1987. Is there even any other MC that can possibly boast 29 years of virtually only modest changes.

In the article he mentions that in Japan the TW went to a 225 motor. I have not paid much attention to what Japan does but would love to know some particulars about the engine they get. Is it the XT225 engine with 6 speed transmission and a modification to the output shaft or is it just a TW 200 bored out?

GaryL

Reactions: scotti158

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bookmarked that article last year and read it several times. It cemented my decision to buy a TW200 (which I did two months ago).

·
Super Moderator
18,060 Posts
Another by product of this is that Yamaha ever decides to end production of the TW, parts should be available for a long time.

And if they are not, there is always Brian-TW's garage...:p

·
Registered
736 Posts
in the article they mention Ben Revely, he is the son of Jim Revely who started making motorcycle luggage way back in the 70's...know as 'Rev-Pack'. Some of you older guys might remember seeing his ads in any number of motorcycle magazines

·
Registered
254 Posts
Haha great writeup! It definitely explains why the TW is different, and why that's a good thing.

I would disagree with Yamaha's statement that it's not for "serious trail use." It certainly is, as long as your attitude and expectations are set accordingly. Where other bikes tend to move quite swiftly like a hare, this little guy just putters along like the tortoise.
Indeed, perfect for tracking the elusive 'Boon Dock Turtle':D .

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Funny how magazines like Dirt Bike have been using virtually same description for TWs last twenty years or so, that it is something one sees strapped to an RV and good for riding around campgrounds by retirees. How dare they! I don't really have an RV, and I'm not totally retired, and I only ride through campgrounds.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts