TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You increased both valve sizes? This is a great thread.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Ronnydog, thank you for that info, if the stock carb will not flow enough, even doing vacuum slide mods, jetting and shimming, then that will be an issue for sure,I think Mikuni makes a carb that will fit ,if not then im not sure, but yes i think your right at 281cc ,just got the stroke wrong, haha
I ran a 2012 raptor quad carburetor on my TW 250 and is working well. I was able to build a carburetor boot to use the stock airbox.
Do you know how much material you’ll need to mill out of the head to reduce your compression because of the amount of stroke?

ronnydog

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well i didnt make it to the memorial ride but i did buy an oil cooler, haha
I wasnt able to elarge both ports and since i already had the oversized exhaust valve, just 1mm oversize on the exhaust side
Ronnydog, the piston is being custom made to achieve 10.5 to 1 compression with the mods that have been already done to the head and seeing how CT Racing has both the head and cylinder i can only assume the delay is from waiting for the piston, but it should deliver 10.5 to 1 comp when assembled
In the meantime i just finished the dress up of the clarke xt225 4.1 gal tank, the red stripes are leds and the eyes of the skulls have red leds in them too, should look good installed

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
With a 76mm bore which head gasket fits ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good question, the base and head gaskets might not be an off the shelf part number, and thats the last things i still have to get is a gasket and seal kit for the reassembly, Alan over at CT said my head was all done and will be back to me this week, the jug is bored and sleeved , but the other customer that was buying 2 of the custom pistons has backed out, leaving me buying all 4 or just not having a piston, so i guess i will have 3 spares lol
So i been working on the wiring and graphics, also going to change out the turn signals, do a new tailight mount,and install the voyager pro gps, also making a new rear mount for the gas tank as the one supplied will not work

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes Alan at CT is very knowledgeable and mostly deals with raptor 250 quad motors, he has actually invited me down there to dyno this build once its done, im looking forward to the visit .
Meanwhile the voyager pro mounting is 80% done with only the buddy tracker antenna and wheel sensor to be mounted with the magnetic bolt. Got a shorai 210amp lithium battery with charge/controller and will mount the controller under the left side cover so i dont have to remove the seat. Contactong Cometco on Monday about making a custom head gasket for this build.Also counting the days until the head jug and piston kits arrive, but getting excited about the finished product, hopefully i can make the Pinenuts ride in Nevada and head to Moab from there at months end ,

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is great, I can't wait to see how this turns out

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just been tinkering, got a radracing tk carb to have a spare, rebuild and jet kit for the stock carb, all seals and gaskets etc., finished the wiring, everything should be in hand a week from this coming Tuesday and while i wait i can finish the tank mounting bracket and new mounts for the side panels

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ran into an issue i didnt foresee, the stock head gasket may not work, i am going to try to contact gasket makers to see what my options are ,alsp looking to see if yamaha ever used this head on a 76mm bore so i can just order one ,im thinking with 11 to 1 cr i xant have a hokey head gasket. Also still have to fab up a spacer for the tranny, but im happy to be down to just a few details and maybe a week and a half until rebuilding begins in earnest by boring the case to accept the new cylinder

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Head gasket issue is solved with the help of Gasket Works down in socal. Im shipping him the stock gasket and hes making me 2 new ones with the 76mm bore in copper. Also they offer stainless steel rings that press into the copper around the combustion chamber so im getting 2 of those as well, he said it wouldnt take long to make them and get them back to me, the new shorai battery arrived and i set it up, chargwd it and tested my custom led lighting.All worked great ,except the eyes on the left skull only lit for a short time, so i have to trace the loose wire back down and fix it. Now i have power to charge the trail tech and set the wheel sensor

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes ,when people see the tdub, they automtatically think, slow or newb rider, and how i love it when i smoke by some guy on his 1190ktm, or 650, or drz 400, on the trails, makes me laugh everytime, but i fell in love w the Turtle Wagon the minute i saw it, and now im just tweaking it a bit to suit my soul.
This riding season the FTW 280 will be so much fun, im giddy with anticipation.
Enough ranting ,the spacer for the output shaft is one of the last things to fabricate, lucky for me Fastenal makes a brass flat washer part number 11123607 that has the thickness and od i will need, just have to step drill the middle out to around 22mm so it slips over the output shaft nice and snug.Looks like by the end of next week i will have my engine parts back and be onto reassembly.
Got a carb rebuild kit, jet kit, and the oversized pilot jet and different needle that are only run on the Austrailian and SouthAfrican tw's, the new engine will be well fed with fuel.

·
Registered
198 Posts

So yea, lets talk about this front rack!!! Who's is that?!?!?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The front rack is a manracks, i bought the bike off the owner of Manracks down in Lodi. I paired it with a Moose headlight guard, but i think if you want the side wings on the rack you have to specify that ,the ones for rhe t dub i dont think come stock with them
The saga with the piston continues another week and a half now before i get it back ugh, gonna miss Moab too, found a stainless steel washer i have to bore the id out to .865 or 55/64 or just over 22mm to make the trans spacer.Gasket works is finishing the head gaskets so to keep myself busy i installed new mirrors and a Ram mount for my phone

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting goings on, TurtleWagon. Interest here in following your build guide as a basis for my own. My TW200 has died, only 148,000 miles on it. I'm about to retire, not quite dead, and would like to do the wide ratio 6-speed, 6 disc clutch, bigger displacement, with a Microsquirt EFI on a late model running gear with LED lights to make up for the fuel pump draw. Unfortunately, most of my machining sources from younger and dumber days are already retired or pushing up daisies, so I need sources. If I post a list of all the sources you listed, would you be willing to add contact info so I can also attempt to do business with them?

EDIT: YIKES! No nice used TWs on eBay. None!

EDIT, again! Nothing close enough on Craigslist, either. Well, except people who want to make a profit on the already overpriced accessories they added, most of which I'd throw away, anyway. 2012 for $3400? Some don't understand that a $180 ATV tire adds no value to a bike intended to be street legal. In fact, don't just deduct the illegal tire, but add the cost of replacement with an appropriate tire. Most places a new TW34 runs $100+, add a tube, rim strip, and labor, and that new tire the seller wants paid for sets the buyer back close to $400. Reality bites.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Okay finally some movement on the project. My solid copper custom head gaskets arrived, GasketWorks made them and even though i paid for 2 with the stainless steel compression rings, he made 3 and sent me them, great guy!
My custom pistons are done and back in California at CT racing and will be final bore honed tomorrow, but because of the holiday this weekend will not be shipped to me until next Tuesday but finally, im super excited, once the parts arrive next week reassembly can begin!!!!
Lastly yes of course i can help with the contact info, my friend and owner of In Tenths Grinding ,Rodger Kirky was the person to grind the output shaft, he saved the custom grinding wheel used to do the job and will take other orders for this work, GasketWorks fabricated the custom head gaskets and saved the set up file saving anyone else the 65$ set up fee, and Alan ,owner of CT racing in Santa Fe Springs Ca performed all head work and boring and resleeving the cylinder also rebuild the ttr230 crankshaft , i can make a list with phone numbers later if need be.
Been missing a lot of good rides, Moab, Mojave, the t dub club ride this weekend at El Cajon Pass, and others gonna spend a couple hours polishing the ttr225 head pipe while waiting on my engine stuff, soon the Turtle will rise again

Attachments

21 - 40 of 100 Posts