TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Boring the case seems simple until your removing material all the way into the dowel pins hahaha, so i have contacted a couple local machine shops to do this job more precisely than i could.I will drop off the case and cylinder and have them bore the case mouth to fit exactly, not sure on turn around time yet.This should be the last step as far as major machining, i can grind the right side cover by hand, and relieve the piston skirt if it rubs on the connecting rod, i dont expect having to do this last step due to the custom pistons short skirt. Missed a cool group ride in Big bear but to project is moving forward.I will be taking the bike back down to LA for dyno tuning as soon as assembly and break in is completed.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Boring the case seems simple until your removing material all the way into the dowel pins hahaha, so i have contacted a couple local machine shops to do this job more precisely than i could.I will drop off the case and cylinder and have them bore the case mouth to fit exactly, not sure on turn around time yet.This should be the last step as far as major machining, i can grind the right side cover by hand, and relieve the piston skirt if it rubs on the connecting rod, i dont expect having to do this last step due to the custom pistons short skirt. Missed a cool group ride in Big bear but to project is moving forward.I will be taking the bike back down to LA for dyno tuning as soon as assembly and break in is completed.
You're a patient soul. I hope you have a back up bike to ride. But yeah, this should be pretty cool when completed. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes patients is key, i only allotted a couple of months for this and it will be 5 months when June ends, its really close now and with all the other mods on this bike it will really be one of a kind.
Just saw today another gent is building a 295cc tw, with a ttr230 case to get the six speed, its awesome to see the work that goes into personalizing a bike.
So after the case comes back this week, it will be cleaned and painted along with the head and jug, new berings and seals installed ,already on hand ,then assembly including the trans spacer and hollowed out right side cover ,so from outside the engine and tranny will appear stock.Using a new stainless steel set of bolts for final assembly along with the oil cooler and stainless exhaust should give it a bit of bling. Im so close i can taste it, and no my other bike is a ttr125 so i have been riding restricted for months ,missing a bunch of local and not so local group rides and chomping at the bit to get back out there.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Turtle Man...you are an inspiration!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, kdh, after 148,000 miles, what was the first thing to "die" on your TW?
Base gasket oil leaking for a couple months. A bit of oil smoke on cold starts and engine braking--worn rings. Carb float valve stopped stopping when shut off, body casting cracked where pin for float acts as hinge. I'm thinking cracked carb body allows misalignment of pin and seat, which allows fuel flow with full bowl So, need a new carb and rings for sure. Probably just do that and retire the TW to the farm hands for riding fence, then finding a clean late model on the back of a motorhome for the big build.

A man lives across town has 4 TWs, 3 bored, stroked, 6 speeds, and redecorated, but he built them to keep his mind off grieving for his wife and child after they were killed by a drunk driver. He doesn't remember enough of his sources to get me through such a project, being a bit distracted at the time. However, he'll be a real time asset solving assembly problems and tuning the EFI.

That's why TurtleWagon's supplier list is so important to me. If I can get a complete and accurate list, I'll contact the suppliers and list the costs, then whip out the debit card, make the purchases, send everything off for mods. I can assemble the modded parts myself, but don't really have the skills to operate all the CAM next door. Too bad the machinist/designer/engineer CAD/CAM genius next door is doing all that work making 127 times the money I could pay him.

TurtleWagon, I'll buy one of those extra custom pistons for the build. Maybe 2 because that 276cc café racer across town is so much fun. Plus, my 13-year old grandson needs the extra grunt to haul his big carcass around.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Where do you live? That neighbor across town sounds like a former member here...???
Base gasket oil leaking for a couple months. A bit of oil smoke on cold starts and engine braking--worn rings. Carb float valve stopped stopping when shut off, body casting cracked where pin for float acts as hinge. I'm thinking cracked carb body allows misalignment of pin and seat, which allows fuel flow with full bowl So, need a new carb and rings for sure. Probably just do that and retire the TW to the farm hands for riding fence, then finding a clean late model on the back of a motorhome for the big build.

A man lives across town has 4 TWs, 3 bored, stroked, 6 speeds, and redecorated, but he built them to keep his mind off grieving for his wife and child after they were killed by a drunk driver. He doesn't remember enough of his sources to get me through such a project, being a bit distracted at the time. However, he'll be a real time asset solving assembly problems and tuning the EFI.

That's why TurtleWagon's supplier list is so important to me. If I can get a complete and accurate list, I'll contact the suppliers and list the costs, then whip out the debit card, make the purchases, send everything off for mods. I can assemble the modded parts myself, but don't really have the skills to operate all the CAM next door. Too bad the machinist/designer/engineer CAD/CAM genius next door is doing all that work making 127 times the money I could pay him.

TurtleWagon, I'll buy one of those extra custom pistons for the build. Maybe 2 because that 276cc café racer across town is so much fun. Plus, my 13-year old grandson needs the extra grunt to haul his big carcass around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Turtle, you mention you're going to paint the engine - have you given any thought to what you are going to use? I ask as there has been a lot of opinions on here about overheating with a 229cc let alone a 250cc or larger. I am in the (long) process of building a 243cc 6-speed to transplant in to my TW. I already have a Lizdbreath oil cooler, but have been looking at using Cerakote Heat Transfer Coating (https://www.cerakote.com/resources/files/HTC Flier SHOT 2019WEB.pdf) on the jug and cyl head. While not inexpensive, I don't see it doing any harm. Thoughts?

James

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Okay the supplier list
J+E pistons for custom piston
(Unless you want one of mine im selling)
Output shaft machining of circlip ring
InTenths Grinding 413 786 6251, Rodger, tell him Bob sent you.
I got the ttr230 crank and clutch and tranny off of ebay, along with an xt225 stainless pipe
Just gas tanks, for 4.1gal xt225 tank
The other berings, seals, bolt kit, are off the sheft tw parts
CT racing in Santa Fe Springs did all the head work incl 5 angle vavle job and oversized 1mm intake port,
GasketWorks made the custom copper head gaskets w stainless steel insert rings
Let me know if theres parts you cant source that i left off the list
Second, i just plan to use a black high temp engine paint.I like the idea of Cerakote for firearms, however i think its properies are best suited to that application.There is a ceramic coating for exhaust systems to reduce heat build up.I did purchase an oil cooler to install as i plan on riding in the Mojave desert and such but dont anticipate an overheating problem.
Today im just waiting to get my engine case back from a local motorcycle machine shop called Meticulous Machine, i thought by having the case mouth bored precisely might help prevent base gaskets leaks down the road or trail as it might be, there isnt anything else i can think of standing in the way of reassembly so im really hoping this is the week it finally comes together.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Just a quick update, the case is still at the machine shop, i was told on Friday it would be done by Mondays close of business. The 4th of July holiday on Thursday may delay final assembly but its so close now.More patients slow and steady progress, sorta like a turtle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TurtleWagon, thanks for the supplier list. I'm working on making a complete contact list from which to order parts.

Also, I would like to buy one of your custom pistons. Cash in my pocket.

Where do you live? That neighbor across town sounds like a former member here...???
I live across town from that former member. We worked together doing biofuel studies at our local university, but I stay out of his politics. I recently lost his wife and daughter so he decided to just tell the world to F off. He built a Class C E350 dualie custom motorhome for an old single man, hauls a trailer with 4 motorcycles, tools, workbench, and a half dozen radio control airplanes

Worst thing is he is the most knowledgeable mechanic I've ever meet, with a huge memory for detail ranging from engines 0.020 to giant steam engines in ships, pick any fuel, any internal combustion engine type including rockets and missiles, along with matching drive trains. Toss in a few external combustion types, too. He has several dozen patents on engines and transmission systems, as well as a few on electric motors and appropriate controls. How many grandsons have jet propelled skate boards. His do. Want to skate? No hills? Perfect Grampa.

He also has a PhD in Human Learning and can talk to anyone 2 minutes, diagnose that person's most effective learning styles, and teach anything just that quick. Amazing. To bad we won't have access to his knowledge anymore. Oh, and he is often misunderstood because different people learn different ways, and never wrong unless brain damage is acting up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yes i can most certainly sell you one of the custom 76mm 11 to1 pistons sets i have, each comes with rings and a wristpin as well, pm me here to make arraingments
As of today the engine case still has not been bored out, the machinist explained he got buried with a large high paying order and my little 1 off job got put on the to do list, the last of many delays on this project. I just have settled into wait mode and not planning any rides until the end of August that way i will be pleasantly suprised if its done sooner.I will post pics of the case when i finnally go pick it up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well finally good news, the shop finished the case boring and did an excellent job, right to spec and not out of round at all, looks like reassembly will kick off tomorrow, whoo hoo! There was another gent i saw on Facebook who went with a 78mm bore on his 295cc build but never posted a pic or video of the bike together or running yet said he had blown a head gasket and not a peep since, so as far as i know when i get this puppy together and dialed in this week it will be the biggest displacement t dub there is.Lots of pics coming this week!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Mostly back together, the shift barrel for the tw didnt have a pin in it to actuate the lever to 6th but luckily the Yamaha fealer in Roseville had one left in stock!
After 6 months of being into this progect i can count the hours until first start up and break in, im going to try to ride it out to Soda Springs this weekend and get down to LA for dyno tuning next week so so close now.....

Attachments

41 - 60 of 77 Posts