TW200 Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So latest update on progress is that the 6 speed doesnt want to shift properly ,hangs up etc, the drum may not be indexed correctly , i think theres 5 dowels that have to be in the correct placement, i hope i will find the correct way to put this together or the cases will have to xome back apart, has anyone else had this issue with a ttr230 6 speed transplant?
Otherwise the rear gas tank mount is done and the new front mounts for the side covers have to be tacked onto the frame.
I bought an 08 xt250 for my son to ride, but i havent left him near it and put 1000miles on it the past 2 weeks, went up to Verdi peak lookout tower from Foresthill last Sunday ,200miles just that ride.As soon as i get the Turtle back ,he can have the xt back lol.
Im traveling to the East coast Friday and will be away until the 20th. The owner of Foresthill Racing, John promised me he would get the shifter drum placement issue sorted and complete the assembly in my absence.I am riding the annual lost coast ride Aug 24 and 25th out of Liw gap park in Ukiah, i hope that will be the Turtles maiden voyage and i hope other t dubbers do that ride as well.Check back in when i get back to the left coast....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yes i just got back from vacation to find the transmission problem as i left it, the thing just doesnt want to shift , its a ttr230 6 speed trans mounted to a modified tw output shaft, and it just hangs up and wont go into any gear? What could i have done wrong? Right now this issue has got the build at a standstill.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well ,you cannot use the stock shift drum from the tw, i called local yamaha dealers but ttr230 shift drum assy are on back order until middle of October, so found one on ebay for 30 bucks delivered and its on the way to me lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well ,you cannot use the stock shift drum from the tw, i called local yamaha dealers but ttr230 shift drum assy are on back order until middle of October, so found one on ebay for 30 bucks delivered and its on the way to me lol
Excellent, keep us posted!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Ttr230 shift drum arrived and im off to the shop with it in the morning, i believe the rest of the assembly will go pretty smoothly

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ahh, nope no applause, the custom pistons i got through CT racing are cut with a 15mm wristpin hole ,they were supposed to be 16mm , i can only assume someone at CT miscommunicated the order so i called and spoke with Alan the owner hes calling Jand E pistons and we will speak again tomorrow, but for now i have a 1000 dollar pile of steel junk, and i already sold a piston and ring set which i guess i have to get back now, this progect has been difficult from the start and just now that i thought the end was in sight everything is shit because somebody misstook 15 for 16mm , someday it will be magnificant but i dont see how this is gonna get resolved anytime soon, so whatever....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ouch. I’m sorry. I hate to sound trivial but can you not just get the wrist pin hole bored 1mm?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Sounds easy enough and i thought of that, but the circlup groove for the bigger 16mm pin and clips would also have to be recut twice per piston times 4 pistons then i would have to buy new wristpins and clips, also the cost of machining.,not to mention that i already paid alot and waited for close to 3 months for this set ,i feel like it should be remidied ,and not at my expense, but i did consider it because now completion date streaches to more months away, maybe tryna build the largest displacement tw 6 speed was an idea that wasnt meant to be, discouraged and wondering how or when or if this will all play out in the end

·
Registered
72 Posts
From an engineering prospective, boring out the wrist-pin hole to 16mm and machining the circlip groves should be straight forward. Of course, this assumes that there is sufficient material in the piston design in order to retain the required strength after the machining. As for the new wrist-pin, that is also very simple. I would suggest that you stick with your plans, have J and E make good on thier product, and forge ahead. In the meantime, if you can't wait, build the engine on a 70, 71, 73, or even 74mm bore and go to the 76mm one once the piston issue is sorted out - swapping jugs is pretty simple. Hang in there - anything worth having is worth waiting for!

James

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Finally after months of waiting i got the custom 76mm pistons back from JandE with the proper 16mm wristpin hole and new pins and circlips, i didnt want to farm out boring and relieving these one off pistons, esp. Since i had not recieved them as requested but all is well now and the 282cc build is back on! The TTR 6 speed trans and 6 disc clutch have been waiting for the top end for so long now but finally perhaps this weekend the top end can go back on and get it back in the bike , coming up on 1 year since i began this project that i had allowed 3 months for hahaha, whoops miscalculation there, well soon i will post pics of the motor back together

·
Registered
745 Posts
Finally after months of waiting i got the custom 76mm pistons back from JandE with the proper 16mm wristpin hole and new pins and circlips, i didnt want to farm out boring and relieving these one off pistons, esp. Since i had not recieved them as requested but all is well now and the 282cc build is back on! The TTR 6 speed trans and 6 disc clutch have been waiting for the top end for so long now but finally perhaps this weekend the top end can go back on and get it back in the bike , coming up on 1 year since i began this project that i had allowed 3 months for hahaha, whoops miscalculation there, well soon i will post pics of the motor back together
Glad to hear this is still going forward. Happy for you, your progress and patience. This should be amazing when done, cannot wait to see, hear and watch this machine roll. 🤟

61 - 77 of 77 Posts