1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Have to admit, even though my dad, brother, and first cousin, were all gear heads and knew great engines and how to work on them...I don't know squat about the workings...but having been to Auburn over Labor Day year after year, I do know great vehicles and like to look at solid engines....and none compare {just MO} to the good ol' days....I love old vehicles...especially those older than me...:p

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd add these:

1917 Salmson Z9 water cooled.

1908 Cadillac

Curtis V8

1890s Steam Engine Clock

1850's James Watt-type Beam Steam Engine

1909 Antoinette V8

Crossman Steam Engine

0.06 Cubic Inch Engine. Winner of the 2000 Sherline Machinist's Challenge

HOG Sterling Engine

Early 1900's Le Rhone Radial

1930's Whittle W.2/70 Jet Engine

·
Super Moderator
17,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indiana, that post was excellent. Great pics! Thank you!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in my case, in the ear. I adored the motorcycle road courses of the '70s, from the staccato potatoes of the V-twins to the roar of the inline threes and fours to the screaming wails of the two-strokes. Prettiest symphony ever. Well, except maybe for those big radials in a B-17 or B-29 doing a low pass, though I never figured out how a B-25 with half the engines could sound twice as mean. Lets not forget those monster V-12s built by Rolls, Packard, and Allison-nothing like a squadron of fighters flying over in formation. Oh, just admit it, there's no replacement for displacement when it comes to leaning the right way in the curves.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
All these engines are sweet but I have to mention my favorites when I was a kid. The Briggs and Stratton on my lawn mower was money to my ears. When I was big enough to push it I started my little business cutting lawn in my neighborhood.
The Tecumseh engine on my first mini bike it was the best Christmas present I ever had received.

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
TP, that mower doesn't date back to when you were a kid--it has a primer, not a choke. Fact is, that particular mower looks to be a 1990s or newer MTD, probably built in Indianola MS. Slightly underpowered, but the bolt-on wheels and lack of features kept the model light and easy to push, and a simple stretch of the governor spring would get a few hundred more RPM out of it, and then the engine would be on the cam and make a lot more power when hitting tough spots. I mowed 1.25 acres of tough West Texas bunch grass with one just like it for years. Great piece of equipment, and just the ticket for eradicating copperheads in the yard.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Indiana's steam engines satisfied me. Like all the polished brass and copper of early engines.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
TP, that mower doesn't date back to when you were a kid--it has a primer, not a choke. Fact is, that particular mower looks to be a 1990s or newer MTD, probably built in Indianola MS. Slightly underpowered, but the bolt-on wheels and lack of features kept the model light and easy to push, and a simple stretch of the governor spring would get a few hundred more RPM out of it, and then the engine would be on the cam and make a lot more power when hitting tough spots. I mowed 1.25 acres of tough West Texas bunch grass with one just like it for years. Great piece of equipment, and just the ticket for eradicating copperheads in the yard.
qwerty I didn't have a picture of my old lawn mowers. I used a picture from the internet just to write my story. Back in the day pictures were expensive and we only took pictures of friends, family and scenery.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts