TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile back I had commented on another post about my 5th gear starting to make noise. And I found metal in the filter that was a bit more than normal. Changed the oil and took it to work a couple times and then parked the TW for now until I could deal with it.
Well I was down a vehicle yesterday and had to get to work. Figured one more run to work should not make too much difference and hopped on the TW. Warmed it up, got up the driveway and out on to the road. Start going through the gears and go for third........ still in second, tired a few times. No more gears above 2nd gear. No extra neutrals. Just a two speed, lever wont even go up after second.

Looks like it is warranty time. It is a 2017 that I bought new back in August of 17 and I have just under 19,000 miles on it (I rode it almost every day until the noise started). Good thing I bought the 3 year warranty.
I love the TW, it fits my needs very well, I don't like to ride super fast, but I do like to tractor up into difficult spots loaded with camp gear, especially in the snow. I hope I don't have to go through this every year. Might have to buy a cheap 250 street bike or something for commuting to save the wear on it (Got hooked on the 60+ mpg over the 20 mpg of my truck).
Sucks that moto snow camping season is starting around here and I'll be without it for however long the dealer has to have it.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
The shift lever isn't loose on the shaft is it? Or tightened too far inward on the splines? (and it's getting stopped by the cover itself?)

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Good thinking LT, checking that the shift lever has full motion without hitting anything is always a good first step. I have bent my shifter so that it hits the skid plate replicating CatFlap's reported symptoms ( i.e. not upshifting but no false neutrals or grinding) .
If bike passes this quick 5 minute inspection then time to make an appointment with the dealer and enjoy benefits of that 3 year warranty. 19,000 miles in 15 months in Oregon is pretty dedicated use, impressive.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Wow that’s a lot of miles. Good for you. Smart to get the longer warranty if you’re riding that much. Hope you get it fixed soon. Let us know what they find when they repair it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I looked at it again and by hand the shifter moves all the way up. Tight on the shaft, nothing really loose other than it sounds like something is knocking about in the case. Something came loose inside. Needed a rebuild anyway to fix the 5th gear that has gotten loud.
Going to try and get it into the dealer next week.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I and I am sure others will love to hear how your "Extended Warranty" handles the issue. From experiences I have had, most and particularly the after market-Non Yamaha warranties are not worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. They normally try to find any reason under the sun as to why what is broken is NOT covered. The fine print none of us ever read clearly discounts so many parts and for so many reasons it is a joke. We sold them at my dealership from a few different companies and made lots of money along with lots of very unsatisfied customers when things did brake. Best of luck but do come back and tell us how you make out.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Maybe Dealer can loan, or rent you a loaner from their used bike lot during the repair period. Worth asking since nothing ventured,nothing gained.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I and I am sure others will love to hear how your "Extended Warranty" handles the issue. From experiences I have had, most and particularly the after market-Non Yamaha warranties are not worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. They normally try to find any reason under the sun as to why what is broken is NOT covered. The fine print none of us ever read clearly discounts so many parts and for so many reasons it is a joke. We sold them at my dealership from a few different companies and made lots of money along with lots of very unsatisfied customers when things did brake. Best of luck but do come back and tell us how you make out.

GaryL
Yeah I'll see if that $300 was well spent or not. I'm going to insist that before any work that will cost me anything is done they make sure it will cover it. I'll rebuild it myself if they wont under warranty. The gearbox parts are pretty cheap considering. And being a mechanic by trade (Though on heavy equipment), I can't imagine it is too difficult if you pay attention to where things go.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yeah I'll see if that $300 was well spent or not. I'm going to insist that before any work that will cost me anything is done they make sure it will cover it. I'll rebuild it myself if they wont under warranty. The gearbox parts are pretty cheap considering. And being a mechanic by trade (Though on heavy equipment), I can't imagine it is too difficult if you pay attention to where things go.
Yes, Not really rocket science or all that expensive but extremely time consuming. Those warranties are mostly just scams promoted by the shady dealers and 99% of the money goes directly into their deep pockets.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
CatFlap, any updates?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts