TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Love those old school videos. When I went from my Kawasaki G5 100 to the Honda CR 125 Elsinore it was like getting a rocket. I still have not ridden anything else that traveled that fast in the soft sand and that includes my RM 400. The 400 was a much faster bike, but I could not control it as well at speed in the sand. That is why it is funny that the GS is listed as the fastest dirt bike. I have a GS Adventure and it is a lot of fun in the woods but it is no dirt bike.

Registered
I have owned all the Maicos. Had to with a last name of Heimberger , had to ride German Bikes top keep up the Kraut image . Besides they were self steering and just made me look like a better rider then I was . Thought my BMW was faster then that . Might have to wring it out if the tires look good or I am feeling lucky .
The older I get the faster I was

Registered
A properly developed two stroke would lay waste to the CRF and KX, weigh 20lbs less and be substantially cheaper to rebuild in the top end department.

Registered
My old 1981 ktm 495 would have easily beat most of those bikes ,and that was thirty years ago .Dirt bike magazine took one to bonneville and it was close to 124 mph if I remember correctly .This list is bogus !

Registered
When the Evinrude e-tec direct injected 2 stroke outboard came out, i thought the technology would be in motorcycles the next year. Yamaha also has rock solid reliability in its 2 stroke high pressure direct injection outboards, I wonder what the problem is with a motorcycle engine application. Both the e-tec and hpdi engines meet 50 state emissions.

Registered
When the Evinrude e-tec direct injected 2 stroke outboard came out, i thought the technology would be in motorcycles the next year. Yamaha also has rock solid reliability in its 2 stroke high pressure direct injection outboards, I wonder what the problem is with a motorcycle engine application. Both the e-tec and hpdi engines meet 50 state emissions.
It isn't about the emissions, It's all about Californistan. Anyone who's had an open class 2 stroke on the pipe knows there is no replacement in things like sand dunes when lots of HP and wheel spin happen. The two stroke is basically a pump with no valve to contain the explosion that happens when the charge fires. This explosion exits through a very large open hole on 500cc 2 strokes and all that contains it is very thin sheet metal of the expansion chamber. This explosion is LOUD on an open class bike. The E-tec and the like are complex and use heavier exhaust management to control noise. California set noise limits on off road bikes that are below this threshold that open class bikes produce. This means no major manufacturer wants to produce a bike that could only be used on a closed course or for exhibition. None of this takes into account that the DEEP low frequency produced by large 4 stroke open class thumpers, while slightly less in decibels, actually travels further in more penetrating fashion. Producing HP in a small lightweight package causes noise, no getting around it until they go all electric, and it will be a sad day when they force everyone to electrics. In addition the manufacturers and aftermarket also LOVE 4 strokes, more riders can control them, it means more MC's sold, and tons and tons of replacement parts sold.

They forced the 250's to race against 450's so they'd be useless (notice they tried to do it with 400's first but it wasn't quite enough), and thus obsolete...Exhibition jumpers still love the two stroke, and so do people that like cheap top end rebuilds. Four stroke MX'ers are great when they are NEW, they don't stay new for long...4 strokes are also great when detuned for longevity like our TW's.

Registered
It isn't about the emissions, It's all about Californistan. Anyone who's had an open class 2 stroke on the pipe knows there is no replacement in things like sand dunes when lots of HP and wheel spin happen. The two stroke is basically a pump with no valve to contain the explosion that happens when the charge fires. This explosion exits through a very large open hole on 500cc 2 strokes and all that contains it is very thin sheet metal of the expansion chamber. This explosion is LOUD on an open class bike. The E-tec and the like are complex and use heavier exhaust management to control noise. California set noise limits on off road bikes that are below this threshold that open class bikes produce. This means no major manufacturer wants to produce a bike that could only be used on a closed course or for exhibition. None of this takes into account that the DEEP low frequency produced by large 4 stroke open class thumpers, while slightly less in decibels, actually travels further in more penetrating fashion. Producing HP in a small lightweight package causes noise, no getting around it until they go all electric, and it will be a sad day when they force everyone to electrics. In addition the manufacturers and aftermarket also LOVE 4 strokes, more riders can control them, it means more MC's sold, and tons and tons of replacement parts sold.

They forced the 250's to race against 450's so they'd be useless (notice they tried to do it with 400's first but it wasn't quite enough), and thus obsolete...Exhibition jumpers still love the two stroke, and so do people that like cheap top end rebuilds. Four stroke MX'ers are great when they are NEW, they don't stay new for long...4 strokes are also great when detuned for longevity like our TW's.
Thats a great post, my 500th post will probably be something like.... I agree.

Registered
Yea I've got to say a built CR500 with the right gearing should be able to easily do well over 120 mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts