TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread BRug had me thinking about what is the best all-round bike. The one that I want is not made. I would start with a 1983 Honda VT-500. Reduce the rake by a few degrees and add an upside down fully adjustable front fork. The rear suspension would be Ohlins fully adjustable units. The front wheel would be 20" and the rear would be 18" and of course the original Avon Gripsters would be available in those sizes. The brakes would be double disk front and single disk rear with ABS that can be switched off for off-road use. It would have a high front fender. The carbs would be replaced with EFI throttle bodies. The tank would be at least 4 gallons and the side panels would have to go. The seat would be heated as are the grips. Baja designs dual headlights, flush mounted directionals and tail light. Givi short adjustable windshield, it's also easily removable. Speedo, tach, engine temp, ambient temp and trip meter. Is that too much to ask for?
What would you build if reality did not get in the way?

·
Registered
667 Posts
To me a best all around bike would be a TW300 or TW350. Lot more power without sacrificing much economy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't ridden a whole lot of bikes, mostly dirtbikes, some 250 two strokes and smaller. But me? like mentioned above, a more macho TW. I don't have any rear racks or anything but a more sturdy rear end would be nice. I see on the back it says no more than 7lbs? 7lbs? Come on... Turn signals that have some sort of aesthetic quality. And a more serious headlight set up. A disk set up in the rear.

Oh, and a chain worth a darn from the factory.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
upside down fully adjustable front fork. ---- not good for an off-road bike, too exposed to dirt and water
rear suspension would be Ohlins fully adjustable ----- available if you have an extra $1000.
20" front wheel----- 19"
18" rear wheel------17"
Avon Gripsters-----yes
double disk front and single disk rear with ABS that can be switched off for off-road use.....yes
high front fender.....yes, if you remove the low fender
EFI throttle bodies----yes
4 gallons gas tank-----yes
heated grips and seat----available
dual headlights----- yes, but odd shaped
flush mounted directionals and tail light
short adjustable windshield.....available
Speedo, tach, engine temp, ambient temp and trip meter. Is that too much to ask for?-----yes
What would you build if reality did not get in the way?
Maybe not to everyone's taste but...

With some aftermarket additions, the BMW F700 GS meets most of those conditions.

BMW Motorrad USA

jb

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
jbfla lets see some action pics of that new Scout. Soooo sexy!.

But it doesn't meet any of Ebbanflood's requirements...... ;)

jb

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would you build if reality did not get in the way? (I think that you missed the last sentence Mike)

·
Super Moderator
4,877 Posts
The VT500 (from memory) came with a 53 degree V twin - and a shed load of counter-balance's shoved in there to stop itself shaking to bits.

Now - the VT250 (and VT400) were true 90 degree engines - revved up to 11,000 rpm.

Though I think that BRug14468 idea is going in a sensible direction .........

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
^^^^^^^^ Since I am hampered by a metered like button!:mad: Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tom

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
We each look at the picture of Peter's bike, the VT500, and find things that can be improved upon...in our own opinion...but the caveat is...if you make a suggestion for changes or improvement, you have to be willing to pay for 50 % of the cost of those changes or improvements...so that it is not all on Peter's pocketbook.

Mike I really like where your taking this thread lol. Spoke wheels and triple discs sounds awesome. I thought about raising the fender but it would hit the rad for sure on compression. The front of the fender is longer than the rear and had a bit of a kink in it so I installed it backwards and was planning to install a mudflap (no charge Mike as it was already in the works lol)
Yep those mirrors suck. I was planning on finding some round oem enduro style mirrors but those folding mirrors would be my second choice. (I like oem mirrors because they are convex which eliminates most blur associated with vibration)
Gee I just installed that CB650 headlight bucket with Hella H4 light and a LED spot on each side. :-( I love the dual round headlights too but find they look better if you have a fairing to go with them like the Africa Twin etc.
I love the idea of a large custom fuel tank but in reality I will likely be keeping my $20 Princess Auto tank that I modded myself.
I think the reality of this bike is that it has to much rake to be a serious off-roader and that would be hard to change so long as it has a rad.
This bike was built with the intent to be able to tour in 3 seasons, travel gravel and dirt roads and explore Northern Ontario and Quebec although I am starting to consider it as a contender for my three week US/Canada bike trip in July. Nothing like a 30 year old bike to turn a trip into an adventure.
Hey if anyone has ideas please keep them coming.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts